Pocket Watch

Hi all,

Im asking for some help here!
Im looking for a pocket watch to wear with my Mess Dress however i have no idea what sort of pocket watch to get and where i would get a decent one from without having to mortgage my mum out!!!

Cheers in advance!

Haven't you inherited one? How extraordinary.

Queensman said:
Haven't you inherited one? How extraordinary.
G1098 on a bit of cam net string :D

I heard that you had to be a WO2 or above to be able to wear one?
Its in my Corp Memorandum (RE), or so the Comd Wing said on my SNCO Course!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have a General Service Time Piece (GSTP) by CYMA found it in my Grandmother's house. Has lasted for years without a service, keeps time perfectly. You can pick up a nice one on ebay for less than £50. They are also exceptionally Ally as an old issue piece of kit.

This one is nice:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-period-GS...66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

and this one is mint but a little pricey:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1939-45-RARE-...66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I have a beauty made by John Dent 1878 one small problem inscribed Property of their Lordships of the Admiralty,my grandad nicked while serving as a navigator in the RN before WW1

I wear my grandad's. It doesnot work but the hole made by the German bullet is a good talking point when I pull it out at dinners.

On the night of the mess function:

1.Go the bathroom on your floor of the mess.

2.Remove plug from bath (with chain).

3.Attach chain to waistcoat with a sneeky FFD safety pin and tuck plug into waistcoat pocket.

4.After the function, replace.

Point to note: Do not get so drunk that you forget its not a real watch and attempt to give someone the time when asked.

CountryGal

MIA
Book Reviewer
bawbag said:
What's the correct way to wear a pocket watch in mess dress?
In your pocket.

msr

MadPickleFarmer said:
I heard that you had to be a WO2 or above to be able to wear one?
Its in my Corp Memorandum (RE), or so the Comd Wing said on my SNCO Course!
I can't remember being told that on my RE SNCO course, I can't say anybody has got excited about me wearing one.

My wife bought me mine when my son was born, it has his birthday inscribed on the back