Pocket knife in basic training?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by lucky21, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After reading many different kit list threads, and having been sent 2 different kit lists, I dont know whether to take a knife or not?

I usually carry a small penknife as its just useful, but there seems to be a conflict of opinions on whether it makes good sense to take one to basic, or whether it will get you labelled as a nutter, and get taken off you.

I have a leatherman and was just going to take a small spyderco as well.

Thoughts, opinions and abuse please.

2. A small swiss army knife with a pair scissors in it can be useful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don't take anything huge/rambo-esque and you should be fine. I get by with a small 2.5" bladed pocket knife - it's all I've ever really needed at work.

4. Swiss army knife is more than adequate. Attach to a piece of paracord too.

Meat cleavers and 10"bowie knives not required

5. Buy a big Rambo knife, minimum 8in long with lots of extras (catapult, survival kit in hilt etc).

Tape to your webbing yoke, upside down.

Your Section Cdr will be awestruck and leave you alone as he realises your potential.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I would also take a small housewife if you can find one

PoGs

• Like Like x 1
  7. Or even a large house husband.

8. And a saw. If you've already got a Leatherman it'll be fine. Make sure it, like the rest of the shit you have to cart around, is secured to a buttonhole on a length of paracord.

9. I always carried a flick chainsaw

• Like Like x 2
  10. A small model Opinel , cost about £7.00 ,good quality blade , not the end of the world if you loose/break it.

PS you can open food cans with them and most importantly they are excellent for flicking off bottle tops.

• Like Like x 1
  11. How quaint.. bottle tops and canned rations. Handy for the Cold War.

• Like Like x 3
  12. A leather an will be perfect; unless it's a gay 'wave'! Although I am slightly perturbed you always carry a knife with you, unless you live in Toxteth, Moss Side, or some equally crap earlier in the Sarf!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

13. I live out in the sticks, so its more Deliverance than Toxteth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.