Poachers-what to do about them?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Nov 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone got any suggestions as how to moniter Poachers?
    I don't subscribe to the "loveable rogue" thing at all. The ones that I have known have always been,to a greater or lesser degree. criminals.
    To get the permission to shoot this bit of land I've had to work like a ***** returning over-grown Coppice back into rotation.
    So any (legal) suggestions would be welcomed

2. Old apache trick was tie up prisoner upside down then light a fire under the head.

3. If I catch them and they are fairly young and presentable, I'll send them up to you for you to deal with.

4. Where in the UK are you. There are a number of Countrywtach schemes that connect gamekeepers and land owners via email and SMS and they are having a positve result, especially against people coursing at night. Let me know where in the UK you are and I will point you in the right direction.

5. PM sent

Coursing at night, or daytime for that matter, is not a problem because the flints in the ground tear the dogs feet up too much.

edit: mong spelling

6. My Dad was a gamekeeper many years ago.

He had one solution for Poachers and Gypsies......... shoot their dog with the first barrel and threaten them with the second.

It made my early years interesting, what with all the Didicoi scum children attending the same school.

7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Thats about the best option your going to get, anything else is going to be illegal and you ofcourse will get nicked, end up with a criminal record and end up paying compo to the pikey cnuts.

That beig said I'd recommend NVGs and flash bangs if its open ground and if its copiced or woodland then I've got a whole list of things that will persuade them not to come back.

8. Yes, the Tony Martin solution has occured to me but I don't fancy the idea of doing time. Even with the option of a safe job in the Library and then the showers... I could go to Yorkshire and get all that without even going to trial

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A good trail cam with the flash switched off helps but plod arent interested! I've been there so the best thing is to establish a pattern and am,bush them and order them off your land. If they refuse it becomes aggravated tresspass and plod may be interested. That said calling plod re man with a gun can get a response.

11. Thanks for that. It may well come to that

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Richard one of my clients uses them well and Roger another will be importing some quality ones soon!

13. If you have the time try to identify where they leave their vehicle(s). When they move onto the ground, a quick slit in each tyre with the gralloching knife slows them down. Next phone plod saying that you believe you have seen armed individuals acting oddly in the area. Might be enough to get the armed response out. Better than getting involved in a full confrontation.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Be careful as criminal damage is easier to press than agravated tresspass.

15. But it's my delight on a Friday night in the season of the year...