Poachers-what to do about them?

Has anyone got any suggestions as how to moniter Poachers?
I don't subscribe to the "loveable rogue" thing at all. The ones that I have known have always been,to a greater or lesser degree. criminals.
To get the permission to shoot this bit of land I've had to work like a ***** returning over-grown Coppice back into rotation.
So any (legal) suggestions would be welcomed

Old apache trick was tie up prisoner upside down then light a fire under the head.

jarrod248 said:
Don't you have a visitors book?
If I catch them and they are fairly young and presentable, I'll send them up to you for you to deal with.

Where in the UK are you. There are a number of Countrywtach schemes that connect gamekeepers and land owners via email and SMS and they are having a positve result, especially against people coursing at night. Let me know where in the UK you are and I will point you in the right direction.

mr_angry said:
Where in the UK are you. There are a number of Countrywtach schemes that connect gamekeepers and land owners via email and SMS and they are having a positve result, especially against people coursing at night. Let me know where in the UK you are and I will point you in the right direction.
PM sent

Coursing at night, or daytime for that matter, is not a problem because the flints in the ground tear the dogs feet up too much.

edit: mong spelling

My Dad was a gamekeeper many years ago.

He had one solution for Poachers and Gypsies......... shoot their dog with the first barrel and threaten them with the second.

It made my early years interesting, what with all the Didicoi scum children attending the same school.

BiscuitsAB

LE
mr_angry said:
Thats about the best option your going to get, anything else is going to be illegal and you ofcourse will get nicked, end up with a criminal record and end up paying compo to the pikey cnuts.

That beig said I'd recommend NVGs and flash bangs if its open ground and if its copiced or woodland then I've got a whole list of things that will persuade them not to come back.

Jacob1650 said:
My Dad was a gamekeeper many years ago.

He had one solution for Poachers and Gypsies......... shoot their dog with the first barrel and threaten them with the second.

It made my early years interesting, what with all the Didicoi scum children attending the same school.
Yes, the Tony Martin solution has occured to me but I don't fancy the idea of doing time. Even with the option of a safe job in the Library and then the showers... I could go to Yorkshire and get all that without even going to trial

BiscuitsAB said:
mr_angry said:
That beig said I'd recommend NVGs and flash bangs if its open ground and if its copiced or woodland then I've got a whole list of things that will persuade them not to come back.
my bold

Oh so have I, usually involving Black Nasty, a high tension coil and water: Followed by delivery to Yorkshire for final disposal.
Like Mrs Beeton said "First catch your Hare"

ugly

LE
A good trail cam with the flash switched off helps but plod arent interested! I've been there so the best thing is to establish a pattern and am,bush them and order them off your land. If they refuse it becomes aggravated tresspass and plod may be interested. That said calling plod re man with a gun can get a response.

ugly said:
A good trail cam with the flash switched off helps but plod arent interested! I've been there so the best thing is to establish a pattern and am,bush them and order them off your land. If they refuse it becomes aggravated tresspass and plod may be interested. That said calling plod re man with a gun can get a response.
Thanks for that. It may well come to that

ugly

LE
Richard one of my clients uses them well and Roger another will be importing some quality ones soon!

If you have the time try to identify where they leave their vehicle(s). When they move onto the ground, a quick slit in each tyre with the gralloching knife slows them down. Next phone plod saying that you believe you have seen armed individuals acting oddly in the area. Might be enough to get the armed response out. Better than getting involved in a full confrontation.

ugly

LE
Be careful as criminal damage is easier to press than agravated tresspass.

But it's my delight on a Friday night in the season of the year...

Actually, poachers are my favourite game....

I particularly enjoy confiscating their nets, traps, engines, guns, dodgy 4x4's, dogs, knives, camouflage clothing etc....

One of the few areas where the law allows a plod to be truly archaic and meaningfully draconian :)

And there are SO many useful powers available :) I love watching them walk away as their possessions are seized...

So I would suggest that a sustainable approach is the best way to deal with them, I like to use a high-viz jacket and a crappy Proton patrol car to hunt them with. They've lightened up many a night shift for me :)

T.S. harnessed an old banger of a shotgun to a tree. Then he would run strong fishing line across the pathway to another tree which was attached to the trigger of the shotgun.

When they walked into it, the shotgun went off and so did they. He was also alerted by it and would ring everyone in the valley.

Tripwire alarm mines (as described by joseyW) are a IME fantastically good tool for putting them off - those cheapo rape alarms can be tripwired too.

(cue mental image of Pikeys wandering through woods with cans of silly string)

The problem with anything involving violence or killing dogs/damaging vehicles is that as a rule the Pikeys know (or can find out) where the keeper/farmer lives!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fireplace The NAAFI Bar 20
Goatman Infantry 4
tiger stacker Southern Africa 10