png to vector

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I have long wanted an RAF sector clock, but they sell for ridiculous money. So I bought an old 1940's Smiths clock of the correct size (14" dial) with the intention of having the dial repainted. I subsequently found a png file of the correct dial type and thought of having a print made to put over the existing dial. Because of scaling issues to avoiding pixelling, the file would have to be a vector type. The local printing company have quoted 2 hours to copy/convert the image plus cost of printing, totalling over £200. Is anyone here handy at file conversions and willing to do it cheaper? (image below)

Have you tried looking for a SVG (Scaleable Vector Graphic) format image rather than a PNG, that's always going to be better than trying to scale a raster image. Look for one with A .svg extension if possible

Worst case I have a fractal based plugin for Photoshop somewhere that would be passable, an actual SVG is better where possible

R0B

War Hero
I believe Inkscape can make vector artwork from bitmaps but you may lose some quality. This design would be really easy to make from scratch except for the RAF cap badge design in the middle. Most printers will accept PDF as vector.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Have you tried looking for a SVG (Scaleable Vector Graphic) format image rather than a PNG, that's always going to be better than trying to scale a raster image. Look for one with A .svg extension if possible

Worst case I have a fractal based plugin for Photoshop somewhere that would be passable, an actual SVG is better where possible
Apart from that file all I have seen is photos of existing dials. I understand that some programmes can 'trace' the image in a vector format, but my work laptop won't allow me to download new programmes.

RiffRaff

Clanker
Get hold of an old copy of Corel Draw off Ebay. This is a very easy graphic to redraw as a vector image. The only vaguely tricky bit will be reproducing the typeface used for the numerals, but so long as you have a good quality image they should not be too hard to redraw.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

anglo

LE
I have long wanted an RAF sector clock, but they sell for ridiculous money. So I bought an old 1940's Smiths clock of the correct size (14" dial) with the intention of having the dial repainted. I subsequently found a png file of the correct dial type and thought of having a print made to put over the existing dial. Because of scaling issues to avoiding pixelling, the file would have to be a vector type. The local printing company have quoted 2 hours to copy/convert the image plus cost of printing, totalling over £200. Is anyone here handy at file conversions and willing to do it cheaper? (image below)

Try the local sign writer/artist, it could be cheaper than printing it,
Maybe if you did the outlining on the clock face and got the sign writer/artist to fill it in

eBay. There are a rake of repro’s on there starting from something like twenty five quid.

I typed in ”RAF sector clock” and along they all came.

Oyibo

LE
Haven't tried it, but:

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
eBay. There are a rake of repro’s on there starting from something like twenty five quid.

I typed in ”RAF sector clock” and along they all came.
I know, but they are all quite a bit smaller than the original

SVG file here: Sector Clock Colour

The original PNG in the zip file from your link isn't the best quality, but this SVG looks fine at 14", and even scales up to 46" okay.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
SVG file here: Sector Clock Colour

The original PNG in the zip file from your link isn't the best quality, but this SVG looks fine at 14", and even scales up to 46" okay.
Thanks very much, between you and @Drazyl I have something to take to the printer.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks very much, between you and @Drazyl I have something to take to the printer.

I've just updated the file in the link, I had a bit of time to do it in Adobe Illustrator properly, the zip file now contains SVG, PDF and EPS files if you download it again. More than enough to keep the printers happy.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I've just updated the file in the link, I had a bit of time to do it in Adobe Illustrator properly, the zip file now contains SVG, PDF and EPS files if you download it again. More than enough to keep the printers happy.
fabulous, thanks

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
No problem. Your printers are robbers though, quoting two hours to copy/convert the file, it took ten minutes in Illustrator including zipping it up and uplading it.
That's what I figured. Much appreciated.

R0B

War Hero
I had a brief go at it but not found the right font. Should 24 be 00? Converted to PNG to view here.

SectorClock.png

ETA: Fixed number lineup.
ETA: WWII era RAF crest.

Last edited:

Latest Threads