PMs not sending

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by michael1234_uk, Jan 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I tried to send some private messages a few days ago, but they are just in my outbox and not sent box.

Why won't they send?
  2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Because the recipients have not picked them up. Until they do, they will remain in outbox.
  3. Oh, ok, thought there was something.

Cheers for the help
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Since ARRSE has been going for 7 years there's a good chance that any problem will have been addressed before, in this case many many times before. It's always worth looking at the help pages,e.g: and searching in this forum.

I have promised at some point to add a link to the help pages / 10 things to know in an introductory email or PM - still on the list. One day I'll get off my increasingly fat civvy ar5e and do it.

Also I should add a note to the outbox page. On the things to do.
  5. Since ARRSE has been going 7 years and this question gets brought up so frequently, is it not about time someone did something about it? Perhaps it would be better to have sent messages go to the sent box with notes to the effect of "pending" and "sent".
  6. Sorry do what about it ?

When a message is sent an email is sent to the recipient (providing they have set it up) and tells the user that they have a new message in the top right hand corner of their screen. It stays in the outbox till the member logs in and reads it. That way you know that it has been read, if it went straight to sent you have no idea if the guy has received it or not, and whether they have read it and ignored you or just not logged in for a while. I have one that's been stuck in my outbox for a week but I haven't seen any activity form the fellow so conclude hes away and not plainly ignoring me like another chap I sent a message to on the same day
  7. Good CO.....slack drills. Present yourself to the nearest pub at 2200hrs in mess tin order for inspection.
  8. Stop being dull. That is why I said to put "pending" and "Sent" notes, that is why I said "to the effect of" so if wanted to make it really simple for the speshul people you could put "sent but not read yet" "sent and has been read" and " its been 3 days since your message was read you are being ignored".

Read things properly before you comment.
  9. It is understood that in both cases the PM has been sent. Something more descriptive of the status of the PM would be helpful, such as,

"Sent but unopened" . . . . instead of OUTBOX,

"Read by recipient” . . . . instead of SENTBOX.
  10. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Or we could read the instructions on the tin (FAQ) and live happy ever after and GoodCO can have enough time to come down the pub.
  11. To be honest I have never had a problem with the system as it stands and I think it works fine just the way it is, but its apparent that some people don't get it.