PM Olmert about ME conflict

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2096360,00.html

Our survival in 1967 is now, in the eyes of the world and, with worrying consequences in the UK, the original sin of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Our opponents argue against the ongoing "occupation" as if it were the Gordian knot of the conflict. If only we were to leave the territories the conflict would end.
Palestinian violence is not a response to the capture of the West Bank and Gaza.
The only way we can resolve the conflict is by establishing secure and recognised boundaries for the peoples of the region. It was on that basis we were able to conclude a peace treaty with Egypt, exchanging land for a peace that has endured for nearly 30 years. We did the same with Jordan. It is on the same basis that we will, I hope, be able to resolve our conflict with the Palestinians, with two peoples living in two states. Jerusalem, our eternal capital
Working with our Jordanian and Egyptian partners, and hopefully other Arab states, we must pursue a comprehensive peace with energy and vision. I look forward to being able to discuss this with our other neighbours. But the talks must be a discussion, not an ultimatum.

Israel is prepared to make painful concessions to pay the price for a lasting and just peace that will allow the people of the Middle East to live in dignity and security.
Bravo, mr.Olmert! Very good. I sincerely hope that long awaited peace will come to Israel rather sooner than later.

I invate our friend Arik to support mr.Olmert. He is a wise statesman btw.

It was on that basis we were able to conclude a peace treaty with Egypt, exchanging land for a peace that has endured for nearly 30 years. We did the same with Jordan. It is on the same basis that we will, I hope, be able to resolve our conflict with the Palestinians, with two peoples living in two states. Jerusalem, our eternal capital
Ok, so let's start with the territory annexed by the wall. Let's do the newest and most resented thing first , then work backwards.

If you start with 1967 borders, they'll still be talking when my grandchildren are dust.

It is some small encouragement, and perhaps a sign that Israel see the days of their unconditional US backing coming to a close.

Maybe Olmhert should double his bodyguard detail. After all , the last Israeli Hero to proclaim such an initative and worth 50 Olmherts was gunned down in front of his wife.

I look forward to Condispellingmistake getting off her arse and capitalising on this now.

Looks as if something might be happening but suggesting a massive overload of commonsense is about to happen might be over-egging the pudding. This problem won't be sorted quickly and your are of course correct PTP - better send Olmert the arrse thread on MP7's!

PartTimePongo said:
It was on that basis we were able to conclude a peace treaty with Egypt, exchanging land for a peace that has endured for nearly 30 years. We did the same with Jordan. It is on the same basis that we will, I hope, be able to resolve our conflict with the Palestinians, with two peoples living in two states. Jerusalem, our eternal capital
Ok, so let's start with the territory annexed by the wall. Let's do the newest and most resented thing first , then work backwards.

If you start with 1967 borders, they'll still be talking when my grandchildren are dust.

It is some small encouragement, and perhaps a sign that Israel see the days of their unconditional US backing coming to a close.

Maybe Olmhert should double his bodyguard detail. After all , the last Israeli Hero to proclaim such an initative and worth 50 Olmherts was gunned down in front of his wife.

I look forward to Condispellingmistake getting off her arse and capitalising on this now.
PTP, I have one serious advantage. As a former Pravda-newspaper reader I was trained to read between strings and I have read much more than actually has been written.

The wall? It awaits the fate of Berlin wall. Now we should support all forces inside Israel that want true peace on a base of pre-1967 borders.