PM announces further £1 billion in military support to Ukraine

Good to continue seeing UK taxpayer money funding the UK military industrial complex.

(Semi-tongue in cheek, a few billion to help render Russia's military into scrap metal is probably good value for money).

Yokel

LE
You lot love to whinge and moan. Surely helping Ukraine fight an invasion and opposing Putin's adventurism is not just the right thing to do, it is important to our own interests? Interests that are not well served by just looking at the balance sheet.

Fuel and other prices have gone up because of all sorts of things but it includes Russia's invasion of a neighbour and the disruption to supplies of all sorts of goods, from grain to machine parts.

A really cynical person might note that this will help manufacturing industry.

Why are folk moaning about a mere £1 billion. That's less than one twentieth of what we're spending renovating Westminster.

Tuffty

War Hero
Once we have defeated the Red Tyrant i wonder how long it will be before Fuel/Food etc starts to come down in price. Not that i am holding my breath

You lot love to whinge and moan. Surely helping Ukraine fight an invasion and opposing Putin's adventurism is not just the right thing to do, it is important to our own interests? Interests that are not well served by just looking at the balance sheet.

Fuel and other prices have gone up because of all sorts of things but it includes Russia's invasion of a neighbour and the disruption to supplies of all sorts of goods, from grain to machine parts.

A really cynical person might note that this will help manufacturing industry.
I don't disagree that we should be helping and supporting Ukraine, but a year ago we couldn't find enough money to upgrade accommodation for our own troops and their families, with the knock on effect within the military of low morale, signing off, etc. Now we have enough money, yet still run down our military and our Tacos. Sorry, but we do need to caste an eye over the balance sheets to serve our own interests.

There is no reason for Russia v Ukraine to impact our supply chains or wider economy any more than Russia v Georgia or Nagorno-Karabahk or even China v Tibet.

Yokel

LE
There is no reason for Russia v Ukraine to impact our supply chains or wider economy any more than Russia v Georgia or Nagorno-Karabahk or even China v Tibet.

Apart from the huge quantities of things like grain or sunflower oil, Neon for the semiconductor and optoelectronics industries, and significant manufacturing in Ukraine. Not to forget the oil and gas from Russia, and the rare earth metals.

Then there is the impact on the markets.

Imagine what it would be like if nobody opposed Putin's aggression and he was able to control the supply of all these things.

Last edited: