Plymouth Sells Out

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by stripeyretired, Feb 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On a visit to my old home town, I was gobsmacked at the amount of development going on. Reportedly,more development than ever before.

I remembered this place as a grand Elizabethan City, associated with so much of the past, adventure and spirit. Capt Cooke, Scott, Drake, et al. It's not just a chav city, though ther are are by all acounts, a fair share of druggies and bums. But no more than any other place.

Now, it's a building site, riddled with developers , rubble, and a Yank fronted developement company. Why fronted by a yank?

Locals tell me they've lost old favorit buildings, the Grand Hotel (home to many a well known face) and so many lovely buildings linked with Plymouth history, They are gone, faling down, or going soon.

What a shame.
  2. Sounds like the rest of the uk
  3. I was born in Plymouth and I have to say that it really needs development.
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Citadel was still there last time I looked :wink:
  5. They can knock that down whenever they want...quick lap of the walls with AA shell for old times sake first though!
  6. The new shopping centre provides an intriguing backdrop to Charles Church:

Apologies for the massive photo, but this is the best I could find. Charles Church is a war memorial for all those killed in the Plymouth Blitz FFS, why put that monstrosity behind it?

Having grown up in Plymouth I am well aware that it was in need of a lick of paint here or there, but methinks they are taking the p1ss.
  7. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

& then run off the jetty straight into the oggin :D
  8. When you think of what we have lost, it's a great shame. The local council appear to be allowing the old buildings (heritage in fact) such as the new Palace Theate, and the Grand Hotel, either fall down or go to Builders.

Builders on the rampage in plymouth, fat cats and yanks in the town hall.

Just make as much dough as we can in as short a time as possible, ignore the locals and don't listen to them.
  9. Guz requires a bit of a shine, in fact anything would be an improvement..........even that monster behind the ruin is growing on me

Lots of apartments etc but they are "apparently" axing the dockyard...interesting times ahead
  10. I find thats generally the best action for dealing with janners :D
  11. Whilst singing 'Oh we do like to be beside the seaside'

Not forgetting the firemen's carries up-and-down those bloody steps by the Hoe. I weighed 10 stone wet through at the time, ten f*cking stone and the bloke I had to carry was at least 15!! I remember the DS at the time saying to him when it was his turn to carry me 'C'mon, you could fit him on your pocket'. :twisted:
  12. headingg off. having decided to join the ranks of the apathetic.

What's the point
  13. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I only ever got down to 14stone whilst I was there & yes they did give me to short asses to carry. :roll:
  14. Ah Union St on a Saturday night. The epitome of euro culture. Like some pi$$ soaked bloodstained, teeth strewn scene from 'The Omega Man' circa 1973. Gangs of hairy arsed tattooed, slack jawed goons staggering around looking to punch the living daylights out of anyone and everyone.

Still, you can't blame blame Jenny Wren for letting their hair down can you.......
  15. Thats my town and why I love it :D

Clipper anyone? sun uppers with the millbay ladies. class