Builds PlusModel's 1/35 scale Morris Commercial CDSW Light Breakdown 6x4

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
276.jpeg

please note, the above photos are NOT of my models
Plus Model is a Czech Republic based company, making high quality models in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/35 scales, using resin as their chosen medium. The majority of their products are diorama accessories but they do bring out some fairly good kits in all scales. The majority of those kits include photo-etched brass details, wire and copper rodding, chain where necessary and some reasonable quality decals. Most kits are flash free but they do tend to have large blocks of moulding resin attached to items. My biggest gripe with them is their instructions. They really are worse than dire; being little more than poor quality line drawings with arrows pointing in random directions to where a part should go! Using some of my reference books has been a must with this build and consequently slows down the modelling process.
As I touched on earlier, the decals are of reasonable quality, somewhere around 1980's Tamiya with large amounts of carrier film needing to be trimmed from each decal. What is rather useful is the call-outs for the decals during the build. There are also some good cockpit decals plus, a thoughtful Morris-Commercial decal for above the radiator. Nice touch that!.

The Morris-Commercial CDSW Light Breakdown recovery vehicle was one of many versions of this early war truck. It was based on the CD 6x4 type but with a six cylinder engine instead of a four cylinder one. Production was started in 1935 with versions being built for towing field guns and Anti-Aircraft guns as well as troop carriers and breakdown units. All versions were built with the under floor winch. The breakdown unit was fitted with with a manually operated crane and completely fitted out with recovery equipment.
Many of the vehicles were lost during the rescue operations at Dunkirk and were later used by the Germans. Other vehicles went to the Northern Desert and were to become the work horses of the REME and RASC recovery units. Those units that went to the desert were then involved in the battles in Italy and back to Europe for D-Day. CDSW's saw limited service in the Far-East, but many served post-war in countries around the World until 1955.

IMG_20200716_181402.jpg

So far this is as far as I've got with the build. Unfortunately, work and The Leader of the Opposition (aka Mrs Smeg) get in the way of completing projects. I know the front bar looks somewhat askew, but trust me, it is right in actuality. Anyway, more work on it tonight and hopefully more to report in the near future.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So, managed a good few hours on my build today. Sometimes I wonder why the hell we put ourselves through the whole gamut of emotions that is model-making! For whatever reason today, the superglue that I've been using for the last twenty odd years decided it wasn't going to stick one piece to another! After wiping off all traces of glue, I wiped the pieces with an acetone wipe (nail varnish remover for the use of) and gave it another go. This time we had adhesion. Silly Smeggers forgot the golden rule of modelling with resin; always wash the parts first in a mild detergent solution. By the way, the nail varnish remover belonged to The Leader of the Opposition aka Mrs Smeg, however, now I've found out how good it is, she'll need to buy some more.

The rear suspension and axle unit can be a pig and the hand-drawn instructions are of no help at all. What does he!p is Mike Conniford's excellent volume on Morris-Commercial WW2 trucks. The diagrams are taken from original blueprints and together with some good quality black and white photos, they make assembling the kit a doddle. Unfortunately, dozy twonk that I am, I glued the springs on upside down and in the act of separating them from the chassis, managed to break one of the spring sets! Luckily, I had a spare from an old conversion set and with a bit of fettling, managed to get a good fit. Here are tonight's results......

IMG_20200720_214336.jpg

Side view showing the home-made central drive--shaft after silly arrse Smeggers broke the original!

IMG_20200720_214418.jpg

Hopefully more tomorrow. Smeggers out.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Things were going quite well tonight until I discovered the PE sheet was missing from the kit. OK thinks I, shouldn't be to big a problem, I'll knock out the few bits needed in plastic rod. No fecking chance! The bonnet has two ma-hoosive holes where the slatted ventilation should be; even with an unlimited supply of patience and time, I ain't gonna sort that! There is also the holder for the counterweights. That is two pieces of very finely cut PE with slots for two weights on top and three down the front. Taking as much care as I could, I made the holder out of thick card and got the slots just right. The problem is, the card looks too thick and way overscale! The next problem is a shield come box arrangement that fits on the near side, connecting the running board to the bonnet. Again, plastic card looks way overscale. I'll give it a go with some thin metal sheet on Sunday, I'm afraid work requires my presence on Friday and Saturday.(Those shoplifters won't arrest themselves).

I phoned Jarek at Plus Model this evening and he has promised to send me the relevant PE Sheet. I should get it in about 7-10 days. Until then I'm buggered on this build. There are one of two parts to the kit that I can get on with but I doubt if I can pad it out for ten days!

Smeggers out.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bit of a disaster! Grandchildren decided the part built truck would serve as excellent catapult fodder and promptly shot it to pieces. Dear little bastards! The Leader of the Opposition aka Mrs Smeg told me it was my fault for not putting it away properly. So, WTF do I do now? I've gathered all the pieces and put them out of handsreach, and one day, I will get around to repairing and finishing it. I only got the PE sheet from Jarek at Plus Model on Thursday last week. Bollocks!
Standby for news of a different build starting very soon.

Smeggers out.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Crap day, nothing going right. Jacking it in for the night.

Crap day, nothing going right. Jacking it in for the night.
you’ve had an ‘Avenger’ moment. Pisser. I binned mine in disgust. Hopefully you can recover yours

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorry to hear mate, hope it's salvagable
you’ve had an ‘Avenger’ moment. Pisser. I binned mine in disgust. Hopefully you can recover yours
Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah it is salvageable but it's gonna take a lot more time than I have available at the moment. Just leaving the debris in a forlorn little box on the "to do one day" shelf.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Took the opportunity to put some work in on the mini-wrecker due to some hard-earned holiday. Most of the damaged parts have been rebuilt using card, plasti-card, wire and where necessary, milliput. The major parts of the vehicle have now been assembled together with quite a few accessory parts. Everything has been sprayed with Halford's primer and this morning I gave it a coat of Tamiya Dark Yellow. I decided to do the vehicle as part of a REME unit attached to 7th Armoured Division. Although the paint job looks a bit cack now, it will get better once everything else has been given it's top coat.
So far.....
IMG_20200913_215016.jpg

The windscreen will be of the "aero-type", a small screen in front of the driver only, with a curved top edge.

IMG_20200913_215026.jpg

Thanks to Jarek at Plus Model, I was able to add the photo-etched counterbalance holder. It isn't that clear from these pictures, but is visible in the side on shots. Headlights have not yet been attached.
IMG_20200913_214936.jpg

The canvas tilt for the kit is a piece of clear, vacu-formed piece of plastic which requires careful cutting out. This can be mounted directly onto the truck, but for the same of realism, I added wire to represent the tubular frame.
IMG_20200913_215000.jpg

More to follow as I'm also in the middle of building a sovereign models Austin K5. One I've been promising myself for a little while.

Smeggers out

Took the opportunity to put some work in on the mini-wrecker due to some hard-earned holiday. Most of the damaged parts have been rebuilt using card, plasti-card, wire and where necessary, milliput. The major parts of the vehicle have now been assembled together with quite a few accessory parts. Everything has been sprayed with Halford's primer and this morning I gave it a coat of Tamiya Dark Yellow. I decided to do the vehicle as part of a REME unit attached to 7th Armoured Division. Although the paint job looks a bit cack now, it will get better once everything else has been given it's top coat.
So far.....
View attachment 504313
The windscreen will be of the "aero-type", a small screen in front of the driver only, with a curved top edge.

View attachment 504314
Thanks to Jarek at Plus Model, I was able to add the photo-etched counterbalance holder. It isn't that clear from these pictures, but is visible in the side on shots. Headlights have not yet been attached.
View attachment 504315
The canvas tilt for the kit is a piece of clear, vacu-formed piece of plastic which requires careful cutting out. This can be mounted directly onto the truck, but for the same of realism, I added wire to represent the tubular frame.
View attachment 504316
More to follow as I'm also in the middle of building a sovereign models Austin K5. One I've been promising myself for a little while.

Smeggers out
That really is a pretty little wrecker.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer