Plumbing course feedback required

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by ogrimark, Sep 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone had any dealings with New Career Skills?
    looking through the bumph from them and comparing it to other companies they look on paper to be pretty good, not the cheapest but looks good. They are ELCAS registered but no CTW accreditation.
    Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on what they are like.

2. Be warned, there are lots of 'Course Cowboys' who have spent £8,000 or so on a plumbing training course and then find that they cannot get work. There was shortage of trained plumbers 5 or 6 years ago, but there is now a shortage of work and many of the training providers misrepresent the likely earnings. There are plumbing companies taking on 'interns', i.e., you work for no pay. That is the state of the plumbing job market.

Are fast-track plumbing courses just money down the drain? | Money | The Guardian

One of my sons is working for a plumber while doing the NVQ 2 and NVQ 3 and it will probably take hime 3 years to get an NVQ 3, the industry recognized qualification for a plumber who is competent to carry out work on his own. There are a lot of time-served, qualified plumbers who cannot get work at the moment. The college-based part of the NVQ2 (C&G 6129) is worthless without the work experience part.

There is nothing to stop you setting up as a plumber without any qualifications. The short-course plumbers often go self-employed, but public liability insurers will often find a way to avoid paying out on a claim; they will not insure someone who has no practical experience. In the event of a claim for negligence, they will want to see proof of the experience claimed at the proposal stage and the plumber will be liable if they decide not to pay up.
  3. Cheers.
  4. There is absolutely no way that you can pick up enough on these courses to stand a chance of becoming a plumber without someone taking you under his wing on a one to one basis for , maybe 3 years minimum afterwards and who would do that?

That's why the tradition has always been to pass the knowledge down through father to son, it takes too long to recognise a potential problem because the fittings and techniques are constantly evolving, so it is all too easy for the inexperienced to make a major cock- up, and your customers won't give you a second chance.

Back in the 70's I changed career and went to a goverment skill centre, 6 months intensive training, 2 years at night school doing my City and Guilds, it still took a long time after that before I could regard myself as competant.

The consensus in the trade are that these training schemes are nothing but a rip- off, you'll end up much the same as doing a course with Baron Shorttt.
  5. Cheers fella, I understand all about experience and that as my old man was a plumber, I used to go to work with him before I joined but you gotta start somewhere and it is all about finding out where to start. I have some cash to use and if doing a 'fast track' to get a tech certificate before starting to work with someone can only help. It is a bit late for me to start going to Evening classes but it is something I need to talk with plumbers in the area over.
    After doing research with some plumbing forums it is a very unpopular place to take part in any training.
    Thanks for the advice though.
  6. I can only wish you the best, but plumbing is possibly the hardest trade to get up to speed on.

One of my regular customers rang me up 3 months ago, and asked me to have words with his brother who was in the same situation.

I met up with him, took him out on a day to day basis for a few weeks, explained the pitfalls, advised him that personally, I felt it was a lot easier to try for an electricians quals, a possibly quicker way to get into a skilled job and earning money......

Incoming from sparkies.....?
  7. It is looking that way fella. thx.
  8. Give daren or Tracey a call at UK Trades Training mate user: I canni da it sgt, has completed the plumbing course there it's worth the phone call I'm going to be doing the plumbing next week with them I can give your a run down on what is covered etc

9. cheers.
  10. The above posts are correct, you wont learn to be a plumber in a short course, be carefull spending your money especially big money on it, The correct training is essential to get and qualifications are good to have but qualifications are really about getting you onto site work, domestic work is unregulated unless its gas or electric trades, what some plumbing centres dont tell you is that after all your training with them you will have to find a qualified plumber that will take you on so you can be assessed for your plumbing NVQ2 out in the real world, problem is here is that no plumber will take you on because soon as you have the assessment completed and gained your NVQ then you will be off and trading against them. they know this is going to happen, The other downside is most plumbers work is in the bathroom or kitchen, this type of work has been made easy with all the new fittings on the market that really take away the skill levels so there is allways someone that can do the job cheap, therefore no need for that expensive plumber. For more complicated jobs then a plumber is required every time, trouble is most plumbing jobs are straight forward enough. Im not knocking plumbers, there is a lot to the trade if you delve deep into it and you need to roughly know what your doing.

You will just have to check with your insurance company for public liability, generally as long as you have a certificate for the training you have done which says you have been assessed and your certificate documents shows the units what you have covered and achieved, then this is usually satisfactory, most decent training centres are accredited by some kind or multiple awarding body to give you this kind of certificate, gas and electrics are the big qualifications that you must have and will have to be City and Guilds or NVQ for these ones

Most tradesman are multi skilled now and do their own basic plumbing.. If your looking at plumbing now as a career you will have to look at the gas side of it, if your not going down this gas route then you will find it hard to make a living as a pure plumbing tradesman now or any pure tradesman in that fact, you have to be multi skilled as your competing with those that are and the customer is allways going to take the tradesman that can do the whole job rather than getting different trademan in and organising them. Most of the money these days is in the domestic market as the sites are still struggling to recover

Full domestic bathroom installations pay the most money, Some of the big DIY stores charge their customers £3-4k to fit and tile a new bathroom suit, if your working as a contractor for them you will get about £1200 - £1500 which should take you about a week once you get up to speed

Wall and floor tiling rates are about £20 per metre around the country or approx £150 per day, this goes up with all the extras that you can add onto the job. Tilers can make the most money as there are so many things you can add onto the job as extras to boost your salary

Plasterers are on about the £150 a day mark and a plumber would roughly charge £300 for a couple of days to swap the sanitary ware over

Kitchen fitters charge about £900 plus to fit a kitchen
    Locksmiths make about £85 per call out approx 15 minutes which is usually the time it takes to do the job

Wherever you go to do your training course do your reasurch into the company and get feedback from people that have done it as it can be a expensive mistake, all training centres can do is show you the correct methods of how things are done and tell you what to do in different situations, they shouldnt proclaim to make you an expert, hopefully you take enough from them to make a start by yourself, take it easy, practice and pick and choose your jobs to build up confidence, try and latch onto another tradesman if you can but this will be unlikely for the reasons mentioned above

Hope this is of some help
    UK Trades Training