Plucky Little Belgium

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Muffin, Aug 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is a discussion running on an anti-EU site in which the issue of Belgium's refusal to supply shells to us during Gulf War 1 is being discussed. I seem to remember that they turned down a request for 105mm shells, but none of us can remember the precise details. They feared repercussions if they were seen to help us. They also refused to sell 155mm shells, but whether that was Gulf 1 or a later date I cannot say. Can anyone help with the facts?
  2. I'd forgotten all about that - the little b*ggers!

Think you are correct in what you say.
  3. Did I not read somewhere about them not supplying ammunition during the Falklands...or am I imagining that?
  4. Young Belgians are ungrateful arrseholes these days.

I was in a bar in Ypres when some local cnut asked me what le flip I was doing there and he also unpolitely informed me that us English thought the world owed us something.

The fact that I was wearing a polo shirt with a muckle great Saltire emblazoned on the front at the time further ensured that his evening didnt end as well as he was probably expecting.

He was quite plucky though.
  5. Gulf War 1 - refused to allow 155mm ammunition from Belgium to be supplied.
  6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Well that should be a lesson to everyone - if you want to go bimbling off to war - REMEMBER HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN ****ing AMMUNITION!!

7. Yep! We had to test fire a load of yank and brit ammo stuck together! Acording to the rules at the time, this was a big no-no! No choice though, as what was left of the war stocks were on-route to the Gulf.
  8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I remember hearing of this, but can't for the life of me find any references to it now. Does anyone have anything they can link, please? It would be useful to illustrate some work currently underway on this very area.

Thanks in anticipation, oh Great Minds of ARRSE :)
  9. Stop contracting it out over-bloody-seas!!
  10. As opposed to the Dutch who gave us their entire stock of 8 inch HE (some 20k IIRC) most of which ended up in the oggin on the way back. The truth being that the stock was due for disposal and by giving it to us saved themseves a packet.

Not just the Belgians though, I believe the Swiss refused to re-supply their HG85 (L109) HE Grenade to us.
  11. IIRC they supplied duff .50 Cal ammo as well,a few of the early Youtube videos show squaddies basically firing single shot on their Brownings,I believe it was Fallschirmjager that noticed the crap load when he was in Afghanistan.

Belgians should keep to making beer,the Austrians make some good 105 mm ammo but I think we should make it ourselves from .22 to whatever we need!
  12. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Midnight, were there not also issues with American manufactured ammunition too......
  13. IIRC that was actually cheap crap bought by MOD from Pakistan to save money.

EDIT: But I've never met a decent Belgian male anyway, humourless paedophiles mostly.
  14. Hansard - 2002: have a butcher's here Royal Ordnance Factories (Hansard, 10 April 2002)

It would seem that the Belgians have form in this area: Max Hastings, writing in The Gruniard Sat 31 Jul 2004 comments thus on the introduction of UGL for Minimi..........'The success of Minimi in Iraq in 2003 was loudly trumpeted by the authorities, not least the defence procurement minister. Rather less was said about the fact that the requested underslung grenade launchers remained unavailable, because the manufacturer refused to supply ammunition in time for a deployment of which its national government disapproved.'

And next time, do your own research! :)
  15. Amd the 40mm belted ammo we did get kept jamming the guns because they placed sheets of card detailing how it should be stored in amongst the ammo, which was being drawn into the gun, causing stoppages