Ploughshares into swords etc

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by CaptainRidiculous, Aug 11, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following on from the Beautiful aircraft thread...

Cigarette manufacturers could easily switch to ammo production due to the size of cigarettes and bullets being roughly the same size etc
    Triang Toys made the sten gun (and improved on the original design)
    Carpenters made the Mosquito
    Fag-makers made feed mechanisms
    Packard made Merlins, and many other vehicle manafacturers switched facilities to make tanks, etc
    Ford made B-24s
    Rover built Mercury, Pegasus and Hercules engines in many plants including an enormous custom-built underground factory at Drakelow:
    Drakelow Tunnels
    Ford in Manchester made a smidge under half of all British-built Merlins.

Any other examples of businesses re-aligning their core business to war work?

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. No.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Hugo Boss made the SS uniforms (tres chic)
    Porsche made tanks

4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

As did Skoda. Best tanks of the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Informative Informative x 7
  5. Didn't Max Factor make our cam cream?

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Singer (of sewing machines) made a spike bayonet for the Lee enfield and the colt 45 under licence.

7. I sharpened the edge of a shovel just to wind up a SNCO who'd been reading too many Sven Hassel books. I suppose I could have modified more, does that count?

8. My sword was made by a well-known London tailor, but I suspect that was nothing more than badge engineering, as was the case with 455 cal pistols in Round 1, where officers typically bought them from their tailor, along with sword (qv), watch and leathers.

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. re: Ford Merlins
    Trafford Park Factory:

Britain From Above

Ultimately, Ford built more than 32,000 Merlins, not one of which failed the exacting acceptance tests of the RAF.

After Ford it passed to Massey-Ferguson who used it as the European parts distribution centre.

However the parent company in the USA didn't think much of the Merlin's design and went off on its own tangent, designing a 12-cylinder beast that was subsequently chopped to a V8 become the US Army's favourite tank engine:
    www.fordgaaengine.com

• Informative Informative x 5
  10. Even without re-engineering, re-aligning or making drastic changes many factories contributed with business as usual. By which I mean that instead of changing from, say, making cars to making tanks they just carried on making standard parts for military use.

My geography A Level dissertation was on the industry and transport of the Golden Mile in Brentford (which was the factories built on the A4 in the twenties and thirties).

Some of them were very important to the war effort:
    • Firestone Tyres (got bombed and mostly burned out)
    • Trico - automotive products
    • Sperry Gyroscopes- guidance systems
    • Pyrene - fire extinguishers
    • Gillette - razor blades. It was rumoured that they made bayonets but I doubt it.
    I imagine the big biscuit factory was churning out Biscuits AB.

My grandfather was an ARP and watched the Firestone building burn. It had an effect on him as there were people trapped inside and the emergency services could do nothing for them. In a strange link I saw the factory being demolished decades later. I was in Vogue Interiors opposite and saw the Trafalgar House bulldozers start the demolition on a Bank Holiday Sunday knowing full well that it was due to be listed Grade 2 on the Tuesday. I always wondered who got big drinks out of that.

Not surprisingly the Boxheads had a few pops at the place. Ironically the biggest building there now is AUDI.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hilti went from a small Liechtenstein toolmakers to a world leader largely off the back of its contracts with Germany during the war.

Waddingtons produced miniature maps and other concealables that were sent to PoW camps to aid escape attempts.

12. The .50 cal in our armory '79-'82 was marked as manufactured by Champion Spark Plug co.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Kawasaki and Mitsubishi made aircraft for the Japanese military...

I believe they also built warships.