Plod on target. Only took 8 months.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_bloke, Apr 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am white with bad teeth and in my wallet have euros, dollars (US) , pounds and a for some reason a gold sovereign and an Afganistan Afghani. So if Plod found me on a street on London, flat and squishy where would I come from?

Seems it took a good few months to check a black fellow , found on the street in Londanistan , with a few Kwanza in his wallet and a mobile phone in his pocket. So he must be from Angola. Right?

No, seems he also had a mobile phone and it took quite a while to find out where he came from?

I am thick but would try the SIM card in a phone , call all the contacts and see or listen and record who answered to find out where said dusky chap came from.

Wonder the cost of this case ?
  2. Which is apparently exactly what they did do.

Considering they've now identified the man just from the SIM card in his pocket I'm struggling to see the point you're badly making?
  3. Only took them 8 months .
  4. Maybe the SIM card wasn't working very well after bouncing on the pavement from a great height. I can't believe the plods are that dense.
  5. So? It's not like he's going anywhere is it?

Have you considered that as he was probably an illegal immigrant then the people who were on the SIM card may not have been falling over themselves to help the Met with their enquiries? Or that legally establishing an identity is probably a slightly more involved process than phoning their last dialled numbers and accepting the first name you're told?
  6. Or that the reporter has just filed the story based on the Inquest.................. not the "solving" of the "crime"
  7. JBM , Just a shot in the dark but are you / were you in the Signals?

If yes then ICCID ,IMSI and Ki might have saved a few quid. Not even thinking about DNA testing .
  8. How do you DNA test to find out who a completely unknown man is? Considering they're only now trying to trace his next of kin, do you think they should have DNA tested every black person in Africa until they found his family?

Any of the data held on the SIM (other than last called numbers) would only really be any use if it was registered to his real name. There's every chance it was an totally anonymous PAYG and it could well have passed through multiple hands meaning that all the rest can tell you a little about where the phone's been but nothing about the man who happens to have the card at the time.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Not wanting to waste your time

A genealogical DNA test looks at a person's genetic code at specific locations. Results give information about genealogy or personal ancestry. Generally, these tests compare the results of an individual to others from the same lineage or to current and historic ethnic groups. The test results are not meant for medical use. They do not determine specific genetic diseases or disorders (see possible exceptions in Medical information below). They are intended only to give genealogical information.

I also mentioned my bad teeth in the first post. Ask any dentist to ID a tooth filling or cap, crown , bridge work and they will have a damn good idea where the work was done.
  10. As I understand it, DNA would only narrow him down to his tribe and an approximate area (which could cover several countries) and (obviously) does not relate to the random lines drawn on maps which we govern our world by.

My DNA would tell you that I'm a northern European and might even narrow it down to whether my ancestors were Saxon, Norman, Celts, Romans or Vikings. I doubt it's going to give you anything more accurate than 'somewhere between Greenland and Germany' though. In this case the movement of large numbers of people around Africa due to civil war, poverty and hunger would probably make it even harder. Knowing he's a Ndabele probably isn't going to help if his family moved to Kenya hoping to find work before he was born...
  11. Are you sure of that? Your DNA is so individual it is used in court to send criminals to their death, if guilty. I guess the lawyers, defence and prosecution should have a chat with you as you can tell them that a Ndabele' s family moved north to Kenya .
  12. Are you hard of understanding?

DNA is individual (or certainly unique enough that you'll get extremely long odds that anyone else shares the same pattern). That doesn't mean you can tell where someone was born from it.

His DNA would tell you he was black (kind of redundant) and might tell you what tribe he was from and the general area where his family originates from. It won't tell you where he was actually born. Your DNA would be the same no matter whether your mum happened to be in Liverpool or Sydney when she gave birth to you. It doesn't change because your mum happens to go into labour in a different location.
  13. Had I been investigating, I would have concentrated on the tattoo. It's simple enough to e-mail a photo to every police station in the world, starting with Angola and spreading the net, asking the local coppers to enquire at nearby tattoo studios/practicers.

Having Googled "Tattoo Z G", I've come across a news story with a bit more detail: Mozambique: Stowaway On London-Bound Plane Was Mozambican

14. I sincerely hope that the OP is not suggesting that if Mr Matada had been a white fellow, the investigation might have been done more quickly.
  15. Did his family get benefit during the ensuing 8 months and are they now suing for mental distress?