Plod fiddling crime figures

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Dec 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

2. Its the oldest trick in the book, fix the stats :lol: Everyone does it. Western nations have become masters of the art, when it happens elsewhere in this world they call it corruption :p

Could it be that 'plod' is looking for an xmas bonus, i.e. more funding :lol:
  3. No, that will be a rolling incident log in the control room ... someone lin local management will be looking at the estate for some reason.

Some of this sounds like the 80's. "Stitching" in nye on impossible as the CPS make charging decisions in all but the most minor cases. This is often done over the phone to people in other parts of the country, in any case they don't give a stuff about local crime figures.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Now that Britain is a Third World Country, why shouldn't we indulge in a little bit of corruption?

After all, that is what Third World countries do, innit?
  5. Erm, 'thirld world' is passe now, terribly 70's, flares and all that. The new term is 'failed state' :lol:

Hey, but at least England has made the world Cup finals :) Oh darn it, your Scottish! Well us did beat us 2 weeks ago, and a brilliant win it was too :D
  6. "Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." ~ Prof. Aaron Levenstein

7. Hahahaha, I love it. Great quote sunami :lol:
  8. In my opinion it is not Plod's fault but the Government for getting obsessed with targets. Policing should be quality-led not target-led. If you're always chasing a target then you adjust what you do to meet that target. If the Police are dealing with a major incident in one part of town and that makes them late for another then we need to know this, not cover it up by sending a PCSO to stand there and do nothing other than look good in a responder's log.
    If my house gets burgled I'd like to see the Police make a serious attempt to investigate the crime. Take fingerprints, DNA etc, even if they can't solve it I will at least feel they are trying to do something and, when they eventually capture the thief they can then link his presence back to other crime scenes. Issuing a crime number and not even leaving the police station is not the answer, to me. I want to feel valued as a member of society and feel that something will at least be attempted
    The Police need more finds but the public are going to be reluctant to release more funds to a Service that just ticks boxes and fills in forms. If they need more funding because forensic examination is expensive then that is fine, at least we know every crime will be investigated fully. Mind you, it's also up to the public to fulfil their responsibilities and come forward when they witness a crime and help the police all they can, again they might be more inclined if they felt it would make a real difference instead of just ticking boxes on a Government form so they can tell us statistically how well policed we are.
  9. Unless your name is Sir Fred Goodwin, don't hold your breath. :roll:
  10. All govt depts fiddle their figures. It's because this govt has decided that success is defined by meeting targets, not for example by preventing crime, making sick people better or providing a decent education.
  11. markintiime

You and every other citizen.

But is it likely? I think not.

Recently reported statistics indicated that as well as many lesser crimes, incidents resulting in Grievous Bodily Harm were being resolved by police caution and not just the odd one, but hundreds.

Now we all know that amongst "offenses against the person" "GBH" is just one step below "manslaughter".

So what does that tell us?

Probably that a policy tool such as "Targets" is just as open to subversion as "Police Discretion" by those looking looking for the path of least resistance through a day's work.

Of course I don't just mean the Police, take a look at the whole justice system and the legislature and the executive.

One might say that the whole edifice is "creaking", for want of a better word.

12. Die Partie Der Neues Arbeits has been a past master at fiddling statitics in all area ever since they came into office..... See.... even Pa Broone won't come clean about the number of Tractor Factories he visits each week..... that is probably because all the Tractor Factories in the UK, are now out in India and other places... so thats why he disapears over there for a while.

But the serious side, if there was one, truly is the Target Culture that has been imposed, cultivated and encouraged by this bunch of Muppet Bludgers....
  13. Corruption, yes. But let's not overlook political instability and violent coups d'etat.

All the best,

14. How about "lies, damn lies and statistics"? Disraeli.

With the "correct" presentation almost anything can be proved with statistics.