Plod banned from charging their mobiles at work

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Dec 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why would cops need their own mobile phone when working?
  2. To check Facebook of course!
  3. You're not familiar with Airwave then?
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Same as we do.So they have some comms that actually work.
    • Like Like x 7
  5. To contact the control room when the radio system is out of range, to contact victims, to carry out checks the control room deem unsuitable for the radio, to contact the crime desk for a crime number. That's off the top of my head, but there must be loads more.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. To coordinate riot response when the issue system can't cope?
  7. So you're expected to use your own equipment when on duty?

If that's the case, you should be allowed to charge a phone at work, and claim for the official calls made when on duty. Does that happen?

I sometimes wonder how I managed when I was in the job.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I often wonder how anyone managed without the multitude of different computer systems we now have to update with the same information, the multitude of different civvies we have to update with the same information and the multitude of different governors we have to update with the same information. No wonder we never get time to fight crime.
  9. Are you saying that the police airwaves are not fitted with a GSM sim card?

Ours are, and that's so we can talk to the police, public etc when out of airwave range!
  10. Did some googling and it costs approx 15p to charge a mobile phone over 8 hrs, therefore approx 1.87p/ hr.

From experience I doubt anyone leaves their phone plugged in for more than an hour while in and out of work.

Assuming every copper in Sussex (3,201) charged their phone for 1hr per day that would cost about 60/day or approx 22,900/yr

Sounds like a fair saving if EVERY copper was in work EVERY day of the year but we all know that's bollocks! They are just being penny pinching twats.
  11. I can't say if every force have some cards but I do know that it costs quite a bit to enable an airwaves set for a simcard. I suppose it's similar to the difference between a wifi iPad and a 3G iPad
  12. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

They'd be better removing the kettles.

The biscuit troffing fat ***** :)
    • Like Like x 19
  13. It only costs as much as a sim only phone contract!

All you do is press the phone button instead of the radio button.

Edited to add:

We were also encouraged to make phone calls on the airways as opposed to the duty mobiles as the calls were cheeper!
  14. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

The stupid thing is that they probably haven't checked the energy efficiency of the computers, you'll probably find that the USB port is powered anyway and just dumping the power as heat, so no saving in not connecting anything to it.

• Like Like x 1