Pln Tactics Cse

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by irlsgt, Aug 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Only recently heard of this course, I had taught that there were TA versions of SCBC, PCBC and PSBC.

Is there exercise troops to fill out the numbers or are all the roles filled by students?

Does it work well?

2. You aren't charged by the letter. There's no penalty for using the unabbreviated words.

3. Big fingers and iPhone

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

All roles filled by students who rotate through command appointments. Enemy, as ever, provided by the able Nepalese men of Mandalay Coy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Does it work well?

I wouldn't imagine they get much practice before being in a test appointment

6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

In my lowly opinion, yes it does work well. One of the pluses of this course is that Junior Div lads get an insight into the Pln Sjt and PC roles being critiqued which did give a better appreciation of the orders, echelon and CSS role at platoon level.

Ostensibly you are divvied up into sections under a CSjt DS for admin and section lessons, with typically a few SNCOs and one or two officers per section. During the teaching phases, the different streams are sent for separate instruction. During exercise phases Seniors and PCs act as Riflemen until they get taken out for their rotated command appointments.

PCs also get dicked as Pln signallers (usually before they get their command appointment) and the Seniors also got spammed as Pln runners. There's a fair bit of weapon rotation too as the Juniors who were initially tasked as LMG or GPMG gunners swap systems whenever they assume Section ic or 2ic. Juniors averaged about 2 command appointments plus a 2ic slot at least once (naturally everyone tried to duck the latter!). Seniors were about the same, but PCs seemed lucky to get more than one command appointment, at least on my course although this could have been due to the relative number of officers to NCOs.

In answer to your original comment, yes it was originally referred to as SCTC (TA), PSTC & PCTC, but the term PTC covers all three streams as they are run together in the TA. Note that it is just 'Tactics Course' rather than 'Battle Course'. This is because in the Regulars, the Tactics course and the Skill At Arms Instructors course are both part of SCBC (The Seniors and PCs do a Live Firing qual after Tactics as part of their Battle Course), where as in the TA they are done as two separate courses.

Just out of curiosity, what prompted your question? Are you looking to attend a Brecon Course? I'm guessing you're IDF, but that shouldn't matter. I've seen an Australian (not to mention the RAF Regt) on PTC so it should be possible.

7. Thanks RP good points as always. Now that your a Brecon God can I have my TAMS back please. Cheers SnO

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I think you'll find the correct title is 'Brecon Qualled God of War', and yes you can :)

(Though, it's not really 'yours' is it?)

9. Cheers thanks for outline, just came across it while looking for something else and it seemed a bit odd considering the size of the TA.

But it could be a very efficient way of doing it.

The students on a Standard NCOs course (for promotion to sergeant) here, fill all the appointments from Platoon Commander to rifleman, while the infantry Young Officers course (to fill a Lt/Capt appointment) get exercise troops.

It seems like they don't get much practice though? It probably helps that it isn't the Battle course.

10. Our system has the advantage of testing a potential sergeant in the job of a platoon commander as well.

11. I assume there is more continuous assessment than a formal test of the commander?

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

This happens on PTC also with the Seniors attending many of the same lessons as the PCs and having to step up for a PC appointment. There's an element of luck of the drawer when it comes to PC appointments as opposed to say the Section commanders who are all going to have to have lead their section during each echelon phase of a platoon attack. One Senior had to step up for a PC appointment of leading a platoon through an entire deliberate attack, whilst another Senior got away with his PC appointment being the Fan Dance i.e. getting a body of men (multiple strength) over arduous terrain or some such.

Essentially, yes.

13. Sounds like they should release some of the PCs from rifleman appointments in order to give them more practice