Pleeease reassure me these are Cadets on parade

It is that way, now go sit in your muddy cold shell scrape.
No need to lie to yourself, you aren't fooling anyone fella.

Anywhere is as comfy as home with my woobie.

where Galloway and others disarmed and subdued him
With (one hopes) the same Scots finesse as was displayed, IIRC, at Glesga' Airport a few years back, when a would-be martyr for the cause failed to force entry to the departures lounge, then attempted to detonate a suicide vest, which ignited without going anything like "bang".

At which point a thrifty and safety conscious jockanese staff member arrived to handle the fire hazard created by the desultory and thus far ineffectual efforts of said would-be martyr.

To this taxpayer's delight, he used the fire extinguisher to beat out the flames, so that there was no possibility of further risk to the public, nor would the extinguisher need to be recharged.

Thank you for that Dick Barton, but,
Errrr - not sure what you were watching but the Guardsman at that point actually tackled the ‘gunman’.
Well it's actually surprisingly difficult to get a clear video of the shooting on the interwebs, but it very much appears that while the Guardsman nearest the shooter moves in (after a delay) it is the Bobbies who do most of the work, including a couple who run all the way across the street while Guardsmen much nearer stand erect and to attention.

While the Met's finest are risking life and limb running through and around the horses the fine gentlemen following Her Maj on horseback seem more concerned about keeping their mounts in line than immediately charging either at the miscreant swords drawn or at least rushing to form up a protective cordon of horse and Rupert flesh around their Sovereign Lady.

Sorry, this was not the finest hour of the Brigade of "Guards" no matter how you want to cut it.

I don't think the argument should be about how important or not drill is in today's army.
What's move valid, is the Guards has a speciality and that is drill- it's what they are known for and there is an expectation that they be good at it.
Commenting on these guys is not really much different than the comments the SASC would attract if they performed badly in a shooting demo.

I don't think the argument should be about how important or not drill is in today's army.
What's move valid, is the Guards has a speciality and that is drill- it's what they are known for and there is an expectation that they be good at it.
Commenting on these guys is not really much different than the comments the SASC would attract if they performed badly in a shooting demo.
There a difference between laughing at the tits and saying it's terrifying, they had no pride etc etc.
Some people take foot drill way too seriously.

With (one hopes) the same Scots finesse as was displayed, IIRC, at Glesga' Airport a few years back, when a would-be martyr for the cause failed to force entry to the departures lounge, then attempted to detonate a suicide vest, which ignited without going anything like "bang".

At which point a thrifty and safety conscious jockanese staff member arrived to handle the fire hazard created by the desultory and thus far ineffectual efforts of said would-be martyr.

To this taxpayer's delight, he used the fire extinguisher to beat out the flames, so that there was no possibility of further risk to the public, nor would the extinguisher need to be recharged.
More than one and a couple of gongs

A view of how it was done in the old days.

But interesting to see how, (at 0:46) years of military deportment and parade ground discipline count for little when Sgt McTavish spots that a half-crown has fallen out of someone's pocket.

I'm going for controversial, here.

That's the kind of discipline that stood the Army in good stead when (11years later) troops were queuing chest-deep in the English Channel at Dunkirk.

I'd simultaneously suggest that it was a product of the self-same mindset that led to that outcome in the first place.

Mebbe that's just me.

Last edited:

Exrivofrigido

Old-Salt
It’s not a great photo - they lost the step as rather a gap opened up in front of them and the echo kicked in. They got it back, but an untidy moment, to be sure. Consider though, that some of those in that photo carried LCpl Gillon’s coffin off an aircraft at Brize yesterday, and were immaculate, as were their equally young counterparts who carried her on at the other end. None of us is perfect, and sometimes it goes completely wrong. In peace and war, though, some very young soldiers of all cap badges stand ready to do it right.

It’s not a great photo - they lost the step as rather a gap opened up in front of them and the echo kicked in. They got it back, but an untidy moment, to be sure. Consider though, that some of those in that photo carried LCpl Gillon’s coffin off an aircraft at Brize yesterday, and were immaculate, as were their equally young counterparts who carried her on at the other end. None of us is perfect, and sometimes it goes completely wrong. In peace and war, though, some very young soldiers of all cap badges stand ready to do it right.
Scarper, quick lads!!

It's a Grown-Up !! :-D

Latest Threads