Please Sponsor Me!

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by mephisto, Oct 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm running the Stevenage Half Marathon on November 4th. I have just set up a just-giving page and, I hope no-one minds, but I'd like to ask if anyone wants to sponsor me?

As some of you know, I lost part of my leg whilst still serving and so, at the moment, a full marathon is a bit out of my league.

I'm running it on behalf of SSAFA.

If anyone would like to sponsor me, I've put the link to my just-giving page below.
    Thank you in advance.

(Sorry if this sounds like a cheek! :oops: )
  2. Yeah OK then
  3. Thanks very much, that's really kind of you. :)
  4. Have to admit, I'm wondering about the picture I've uploaded. It might put people off sponsoring me if it looks like I'm going to fall over!
  5. What was going on in the photo? Was she REME? :?
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

It looks like an.... hurmph.......oil change
  7. Actually, I think I'll take it off! It does look a bit odd (it's all in the context, you know!) ;)
  8. No. Leave it on. Shows the bit (understatement) that's missing 8O
  9. What photo?
  10. There you go
  11. I took it off armchair jihad because I felt a bit embarrassed by it! It shows my missing leg (well, obviously not the actual missing leg, but you know what mean!) When I thought about it, I decided to take it off as it looks a bit pathetic.

Thanks to everyone who's sponsored me though.

12. You should not be embarrassed by it, what do you run on? Have you got one of those uber cool 'Cheeta' steel thingies?
  13. Mine is a mixture of carbon-fibre and steel. It's made especially for running and it cost me an arm and a leg (pun intended!) But it was worth it! The first one I had kept snapping at the wrong moments! But I've had it replaced now by an updated version (after they'd had more time to test out the tension etc.) and it now has better springs and the foot is shaped better for running. The only problem I have with it, which is one of the reasons I really couldn't do a full marathon at the moment, is that it tends to rub and become seriously painful after a while, especially with high-impact use.

PS I've pmed you a photo of it armchair jihad! :D
  14. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

So your not going to let the others see you being 'serviced' by another runner then?
  15. Yesterday my sponsorship went up by £165.00 thanks to my posting here and also to a couple of postings on other sites.

I had to plead my way into this half marathon, technically speaking they're not keen on disabled athletes as the course isn't totally flat and they can end up with problems if you should have a fall. Fortunately, I know this route very well and have no real worries about it.

I think this is what happens when people lump all disabilities into one group. True, it wouldn't really be suitable for wheelchairs (which is a shame), but it's also a real shame to put other people off. Lots of people fall over in marathons, not just those of us with only one leg!

A massive thanks to everyone from here who bothered to sponsor me, really kind of you all and very much appreciated by me (and SSAFA!)