Please Sign, Stolen Valour Petition

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armadillo, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This petition is aimed at making it illegal for any individual to impersonate, misrepresent, or falsify connections (past or present) with HM Forces including the wearing of medals awarded either for campaign service, long service and services of distinction. Further to this, we would request that the government consider making it a criminal offence for those who aspire to make personal or corporate financial gain from such actions. For example, posing as an authority in military matters were clearly no formal qualifications exist, or writing books where the author has clearly misrepresented themselves (lied) this should be seen as gaining pecuniary advantage by misrepresentation and consequently punishable by law. The only exception to this would be for theatrical, re-enactment and entertainment purposes (this would come under the same law that currently exists covering police and other officially recognised uniforms) This petition is dedicated to all those servicemen and women who have served their country within HM forces and in particular, the fallen.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Stolen-honour/#detail

More signatures needed, copy the link email it to your friends put it on facebook, twitter, its your valour they are stealing.

Cheers

Armadillo

2. Not again!

3. You win the grumpy award,

A

4. This is already an offence under the Fraud Act:

Further to this, we would request that the government consider making it a criminal offence for those who aspire to make personal or corporate financial gain

Wasn't the infamous 'SAS vet' who appeared in the newpapers just prosecuted for exactly this?

impersonate, misrepresent, or falsify connections (past or present) with HM Forces including the wearing of medals awarded either for campaign service, long service and services of distinction.

So is this not just a wasted effort, similar to petitioning the government to make 'theft' a criminal offence?

5. Who is this SAS vet you talk of? Someone should start a thread about him!

6. Signed !

7. There is already a law regarding the wearing of medals - Roger Day was recently prosecuted (you may not know that as there there haven't been may threads about him on here).

There is already a law regarding misrepresenting yourself for financial gain - The Fraud Act 2006.

As for a law relating to writing military memoirs etc, it would just be unenforceable.

Walts are funny, they provide hours of entertainment, they are to be derided, ridiculed and humiliated but we certainly don't need to prosecute them, unless they are walting for financial gain in such a way that they can be prosecuted under the Fraud Act or walting to gain access to vulnerable people. IMHO we should not even prosecute the Roger Day's of this world.

:roll:

8. They have not stolen any of my valour (didn't have much to steal)

They do keep people amused though.

Whole threads would disappear and journalists would be out of work if we ban them - couldn't live with myself

Thousands petitioned Broon to go - look what good it did.

9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

10. You have an excellent point there BB, they are comedy gold.

11. Not a bad idea - someone could do some research and maybe title it 'SAS Walt' or something along those lines. Not seen one of them for ages!

12. shameless bump

13. Couldn't touch Shortt ( For example ) because of loopholes within currant laws. I think this petition is aimed at making harder for others to flaunt their Waltiness.
    Bob Spour is another example of 'getting away with it'
    Both of the above mentioned have made a mint out of their respective 'careers' and the law has done little about it largely because it is a grey area and partly because some in the 'system' don't give a stuff.
    Signed BTW.

14. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

I think this is a strong idea with legs.

I also think we should prosecute politicians for stretching the truth.

Then there's comedians who make fun of everyday situations including Jo Brand who always refers to her weight.

What about the little shopkeeper who stays up late nearby and charges more than Sainsburys?

Since we're at it, I tried to sell my car and couldn't get what I paid for it so the vendor's definitely up for a knock by a copper.

Or we could just laugh at paltry efforts to be what they aren't, enjoy the bluster and bullsh*t and maybe spend a little time just feeling sorry for eejits who feel they have to live a lie.

15. These names on the petition do your cause a whole world of good:

Harry Skinters VC MC* DSO QGJM MSP
    Mr Percussive Patellae
    Jimbo Bonsai-scale
    The Duke of York
    Howard Cooley ex 2RRF VD and Scar
    Walter Mitty
    Gordon_Brown of Arrse