Please sign Simon Mann petition NOW

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by actiontoday, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New website HERE asking for signatories for a petition to free Simon Mann.
    He is ex British Army Special forces and therefore quite simply, whatever the politics of the situation, he is one of ours. Just as the serving British Soldier goes where he is sent, after leaving service the soldier who works in the private sector goes where the work and the money is. Leave the personal moralising aside until he's out of that hell hole and let's be having him out of there shall we.
    A petition serves at the very least to show his captors and those with influence that could be taking action in this that there are people watching the situation. It also shows him and his family that British soldiers do watch out for each other.
    There is space when you sign the petition to include a message to his family and supporters so if you have anything to say to him (even if negative) say it direct to him via that form whilst actually signing in support and solidarity for the survival and freedom of one of our own.
    Cheers in advance

2. Cow

Cow LE

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Moralising? Who do you think you are preaching too?

He choose his way. He is a mercenary and has been convicted of attempting to overthrow a legitimate regime. More fool him. No sympathy here, I'm afraid.

4. Serving British soldiers carry out the policy of a democratically elected governement in accordance with national and international law - and, as we have seen, pay the price in many different ways.

Attempting to find some moral equivalence between them and Thumper, Scratcher, Throbber, Wanka, et al is repugnant.

OaC

P.S. Access to the petition site is blocked from MOD machines. Perhaps if I could read the doubtless heartrending story contained in it I would feel differently.

P.P.S. Not really ......

5. He took a risk for money. He can now ponder his risk assessment over the next 30 years. If you break the law abroad you should suffer the punishment, somthing that a lot of people in this country forget at times <thinks back to the case of the badly named teddy bear>

6. As in our illegal invasion of Iraq in 2003 for example? Doesn't make it right though does it.

The only difference I see is in it's potential deniability.
    Governments have always hired freelancers to do their dirty work for them. It's still the same British Army special forces chap working as and when he can. The subtle politics of this is for others to manage.
    But he is one of our own.
    Serving soldiers go where they are sent and after they leave they go where there's work.

7. The man did serve his country and he does deserve respect for that however he then became a mercenary and served only himself.

If the allegations are true then he does not deserve to be set free, not just because what he planned to do was wrong but because he failed and got caught.

He took a gamble and lost...
    But his family do have my sympathies

8. When service personnel sign on the dotted line they take the moral decision to follow the orders of the government/HM the Queen as they are passed down the chain of command. If they are captured by an enemy they will not be spared because they were acting on behalf of another.

The same principle applies with a mercenary organisation, except there are no guarantees of good behavior on the part of your superiors. When he took payment he made his decision. Following orders has never been a defense. He must follow the same rules that we applied to the Germans at Nuremberg, in that you are morally responsible for your actions irrespective of the necessity.

I understand wanting to stick up for your own, but I believe that people forfeit the privelidge of the support of their peers when they do something truly heinous/stupid.

9. As much as I sympathise with Simon Mann it comes down to "do the crime, do the time"

Whatever I've done in my life I've done, good or bad, with the knowledge that I have to accept the consequences of my actions. If Simon Mann had fufilled the contract he'd have a pocketful of wonga, he lost instead.

10. not a chance!

11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Says who? You? UN says otherwise :roll:

12. Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo was himself the leader of a bloody coup.

Many consider him as bad as bob mugabe or idi amin, just not as famous.

13. Quote direct from BBC website:

"Born into privilege, Mann was swept up by the pursuit of adventure.

As befits the son of an England cricket captain and the heir to a brewing fortune, he studied at Eton, the exclusive private school favoured by princes and the political elite.

Eton was followed by Sandhurst, the prestigious military academy, and from there it was a natural progression to the Scots Guards, an army regiment associated with royalty and the upper class of British society."

Not a greatest of recommendations for my sympathy.

14. What about those blokes who murdered the danish girl in Cyprus - did you start a petition for them. After all, they were "one of us" and we should leave "personal moralising aside"