Please recommend a company that can do shaped charge tests?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by IndependentBoffin, Jan 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Can anyone please recommend a company that can do static shaped charge tests under high speed photography? The charges themselves are 5 cm in diameter. The company is to manufacture the hollow charges without a liner, which I will provide along with the target.

The subcontractor that I was going to use for my tests (who shall remain unnamed) kept delaying a response until my Defform 10 was due, and then suddenly provided a quote for double their original estimate at the 11th hour. Hence I am looking for a new one.

I've approached Cranfield Ordnance Test & Evaluation Centre, Blastech and Millbrook Proving Ground for quotes today, and am awaiting their response. I would like to get more quotes so I can fully consider my options.

Thanks.

2. ohhhh.

I've got a number on a post-it under my desk talc for just such a firm...

3. Your sig notwithstanding, can you please blow their trumpet for them this time around? :)

4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

You've grabbed some of the main ones..

what about:

OTS

or

QinetiQ

would I recommend either...hmmm. I've used both and they have thier good and bad days.

S_R

5. Thanks. Do you have any contacts I can approach directly with requests for a quote? Feel free to PM me.

6. Do you need them to do the bang the photography or both?

7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

OTS have a website - Ordnance test Solutions Ltd.

QinetiQ you will need to approach the commercial front end...thier trials guys can't agree anything direct.

S_R

8. Bang and photography.

9. Photography? You're not going to see any of the jet that way.

10. Visualising the jet isn't a priority. The HS camera is for other reasons, but you must forgive me that I am sparse with further details.

11. Roughly, to the nearest ten, how many times to the anti terrorism squad knock on your door per month?

12. Haha! They do a good job and keep their surveillance discreet.

Good thing I didn't post about my cost saving idea to do the tests myself, because then people might ask how many times Special Branch knock on my door.

13. There used to be a Mines/Quarries Research Type Establishment in Buxton, Derbyshire who I believe still do explosive tests and the such like. (They used to do in the 70's as I used to hear them).

Are they the type of company who could help.

Mind you its bleak up there this time of year so take a warm coat and waterproof boots.

14. Sorry, can't help.

15. They would certainly have the paperwork for explosives testing, but whether they do shaped charges or high speed photography is another question.

I could try asking them if you have their name though.