Please Losk at Photo...

it looks like the cadet forces medal.

The Cadet Forces Medal (CFM) and Clasps are awarded to officers and uniformed adult instructors in recognition of long service of proved capacity in the Cadet Forces. 12 years reckonable service is required for award of the medal. 6 years further service is required for award of each subsequent Clasp. Prior to 1991, 8 years service was required for the Clasp.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/CadetForcesMedal.htm

Isn't it when a family member gets a medal or a ribbon you can wear that medal on the right chest?

baldy_git said:
it looks like the cadet forces medal.

The Cadet Forces Medal (CFM) and Clasps are awarded to officers and uniformed adult instructors in recognition of long service of proved capacity in the Cadet Forces. 12 years reckonable service is required for award of the medal. 6 years further service is required for award of each subsequent Clasp. Prior to 1991, 8 years service was required for the Clasp.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/CadetForcesMedal.htm
The question was about the ribbon on the Colonel's right breast.

Possibly a civilian award?

added:
QRs J10.001.c:
c. Awards granted by certain civilian societies are officially recognised and may be worn in uniform.
Civil Awards for Gallantry
J10.013. No restriction is placed on the acceptance of any British civil award for gallantry, but the only insignia and ribbons of such awards which are allowed to be worn with uniform are:
a. Sovereign's Awards. These medals are worn on the left breast.
b. Other Awards - The Life Saving Medal of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, the medals of the Royal Humane Society and the medal of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. Awards are to be reported to the Ministry of Defence so that the necessary authority may be given for them to be worn. They are worn on the right breast and the insignia and ribbon of one award only may be worn for one act of gallantry.

J10.014.
a. The Royal Humane Society considers applications for awards to personnel who have taken part in rescues or attempted rescues from drowning or asphyxia (including the use of artificial respiration) and from dangerous cliffs or other heights and also analogous cases of gallantry displayed in the aeronautical field, e.g. in connection with aircraft crashes. Occurrences solely involving Service personnel may be reported, as well as those which involve Service personnel and civilians. Cases coming within the scope of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, the Society for the Protection of Life from Fire, or local (e.g. Glasgow and Liverpool) Humane Societies, will not be considered.
b. Cases of gallantry where a recommendation for a State award has not been made or, if made, has been unsuccessful, may be referred to the Secretary, Royal Humane Society, Brettenham House, Lancaster Place, LONDON WC2E 7EP.
c. For home units, applications should be made within 2 months of the date or occurrence; for units abroad, within 18 months. The Society may waive the time limit for applications by home units where an initial recommendation for a State award has been unsuccessful.

Bennett said:
10/10 for the poppy stashed in the brim of his hat. Very strange!
Why, do students wear it differently? Cnut. :roll:

Whatever it is, pound to a penny it shouldn't be there. As far as I am aware, the only medal ribbons permitted on the right breast are the medals awarded for life saving by the Royal Humane Society: Bronze, Silver and the Stanhope Gold Medal. As it appears he's at a 'medals will be worn' do, then why is this - whatever it is - not being worn too?

I am more than familiar with awards and medals, but this has me stumped. I can only suggest that this is 49 Para's boss and it's a Presidential Unit Citation from Der Waltenkommando for services rendered to the ACF. Stranger things have happened.

BuckFelize said:
Whatever it is, pound to a penny it shouldn't be there. As far as I am aware, the only medal ribbons permitted on the right breast are the medals awarded for life saving by the Royal Humane Society: Bronze, Silver and the Stanhope Gold Medal. As it appears he's at a 'medals will be worn' do, then why is this - whatever it is - not being worn too?

I am more than familiar with awards and medals, but this has me stumped. I can only suggest that this is 49 Para's boss and it's a Presidential Unit Citation from Der Waltenkommando for services rendered to the ACF. Stranger things have happened.
I tend to agree (while also giving the benefit of the doubt). The ribbon colours don't match those of the medals mentioned in QRs. While it's common to wear the medals of deceased relatives on the right breast, you wouldn't normally have the ribbons sewn on.

To be honest, he may well be a colonel in the cadet forces.
On his epaulette at the bottom there appears to be the ACF title.

Asfor what the ribbon is, I dont know :)

He's wearing the jubilee and the Cadet Forces Medal with six year bar.

The CFM is the one he has on his far left breast. Fuck knows what that thing on the right is.

JSP 336, Vol 12, Part 3, Pam 10
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE WEARING OF THE INSIGNIA OF ORDERS, DECORATIONS AND MEDALS

Section 2

4. Ribbons for life-saving awarded by the Royal Humane Society and the Royal
National Lifeboat Institution are to be worn on the right breast in uniform. These Medals
are:

a. St John of Jerusalem Life Saving Medal (Gold, Silver, Bronze).

b. Stanhope Gold Medal.

c. Royal Humane Society’s Silver Medal.

d. Royal Humane Society’s Bronze Medal.

e. Medal of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (Gold, Silver, Bronze).

Incidentally, the ribbon is the bit stitched to the uniform, the ribband is the material attached to the medal itself

It now seems to be the accepted norm that on certain occasions (Remembrance Parade etc) immediate family sometimes wear deceased relatives medals on their right breast. I do not know if this is stated anywhere and they are not serving anyway.

I don’t know enough about the ribbon to confirm if it is one of the medals stated above, however, if it is he has every right to have the ribbon there.

Indecently reservist , territorial and cadet medals are worn with the other medals on the left in order of precedence

I don't think its any of those......

Any idea of the chap in question, maybe posting this in the ACF Forum might yield some clues.

I've looked at his bio, but no clues there.

Interesting that as an ACF SI, he was selected to instruct the FIDF in weapons handling!

Latest Threads