Please Look...at CDS

Why is the CDS (RAF) wearing an army stable belt and beret plus badge, and not his regular RAF ones...? Notice he still has his RAF rank on.

Cheers

RM stable belt, RE beret, RAF badges of rank - all very tri-service. Looks to me like the result of a very drunken detachment.

Bad packing by wife? Opens suitcase to discover no hat and no belt, ADC blags said items from cloakroom in Mess.

Better still RAFP at Brize siezed his beret and belt in the interests of flight safety.

There’s one of the CAS bumbling around in CS95 with his nice shine SD Cap on...Obviously learnt from the best...

Here it is...
...walking arround Oman, no less.

Gents,

My initial thoughts we're that he hadn't earned the right to wear those particular items (RM Stable belt & Sapper Capbadge), but the perhaps he was OTC/TA/RMR previously (I don't know). Even so... at his level should it not be a staff badge in his lid?

Or perhaps there was an admin drama on the day.

Would love to know the real answer....

Mr_Bridger.

(There is one more frightening possibility... that he's a W...W...Wa... no I can't bring myself to say it, but i'm thinking airsoft fanatic type....)

At the risk of incurring a WAH... he is the Chief of the DEFENCE Staff. The most senior serving Tri-Service officer. My assumption is that this is a courtesy to show that, although he is an RAF officer, he is showing respect for the other two Services for which he is responsible (as well as diluting the artificial fibres on his person). Just the same as Monty did with his two badges. I seem to recall some previous occupants of his venerated position doing the same, although some would have rather been seen wearing white socks than so doing.

Now, I am not saying it is entirely kosher in dress regs. But the great thing about being CDS is only HM the Q can tell him off... (more likely Phil)

OllieReeder said:
At the risk of incurring a WAH... he is the Chief of the DEFENCE Staff. The most senior serving Tri-Service officer. My assumption is that this is a courtesy to show that, although he is an RAF officer, he is showing respect for the other two Services for which he is responsible (as well as diluting the artificial fibres on his person). Just the same as Monty did with his two badges. I seem to recall some previous occupants of his venerated position doing the same, although some would have rather been seen wearing white socks than so doing.

Now, I am not saying it is entirely kosher in dress regs. But the great thing about being CDS is only HM the Q can tell him off... (more likely Phil)
Nice try Ollie....... so why did he choose the Sappers, eh?
And I don't wear a skirt to show solidarity with Mrs Bambi (well, not for that reason anyway).

Chaps,

The sapper lid is due to him being Hon Col of a RE TA unit (Air Support?).

The RM stable belt I don't know. Why not a Navy Stable belt and represent the entire service?

Mr_Bridger said:
Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup GCB AFC ADC DSc FRAeS FCMI RAF

Air Chief Marshal Stirrup was educated at Merchant Taylors’ School, Northwood and the Royal Air Force College Cranwell, and was commissioned in 1970. After a tour as a Qualified Flying Instructor he served on loan with the Sultan of Oman’s Air Force, operating Strikemasters in the Dhofar War. Returning to the United Kingdom in 1975 he was posted to No 41(F) Squadron, flying Jaguars in the Fighter Reconnaissance role, before taking up an exchange appointment on RF-4C Phantoms in the United States. He then spent two years at Lossiemouth as a flight commander on the Jaguar Operational Conversion Unit, and subsequently attended the Joint Service Defence College in 1984. He commanded No II(AC) Squadron, flying Fighter Reconnaissance Jaguars from Royal Air Force Laarbruch, until 1987 when he took up the post of Personal Staff Officer to the Chief of the Air Staff. He assumed command of Royal Air Force Marham in 1990, just in time for Operation GRANBY, and then attended the 1993 Course at the Royal College of Defence Studies.

He completed No 7 Higher Command and Staff Course at Camberley prior to becoming the Director of Air Force Plans and Programmes in 1994. He became Air Officer Commanding No 1 Group in April 1997 and was appointed Assistant Chief of the Air Staff in August 1998. He took up the appointment of Deputy Commander-in-Chief Strike Command in 2000. At the same time he assumed the additional roles of Commander of NATO’s Combined Air Operations Centre 9 and Director of the European Air Group. He spent the last few months of his tour, from September 2001 to January 2002, as UK National Contingent Commander and Senior British Military Advisor to CINCUSCENTCOM for Operation VERITAS, the UK’s contribution to the United States led Operation ENDURING FREEDOM in Afghanistan.

Air Chief Marshal Stirrup was appointed KCB in the New Year Honours List 2002 and took up the post of Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff (Equipment Capability) in March 2002. He became Chief of the Air Staff, on promotion, on 1 August 2003, and was appointed GCB in The Queen’s Birthday Honours List 2005. Air Chief Marshal Stirrup became Chief of the Defence Staff on 28 April 2006.

Air Chief Marshal Stirrup is married with one son and enjoys golf, music, theatre and history.
-------------
Honorary Colonel 73 Engineer Regiment (Volunteers)
The RM stable belt remains a mystery.

Mr_Bridger's post of the bio certainly explains one thing I saw a few weeks ago on HIGNFY - pic of JS bemedalled and saluting. There was a traffic light one (red/yellow/green vertical stripes) - I presume this was an Omani one?