please liberate us too america...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by invited, Feb 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [q]The next election must be held on or before Jun. 3, 2010. Sitting prime ministers can dissolve Parliament and call an early ballot at their discretion.[/q]

Another 4 years of these cretins in government OR we could campaign for a dissolution of parliament.

Coup by the back door

JJ

2. You have to have the British Public interested in democratic change.

They are not.

3. There's a television advert over here in Holland at the moment encouraging people to vote in the local elections on March the seventh. It goes something like this:

A sequence of shots from Idols, Big Brother, Het Blok etc after all the votes are in, saying things like: " you have voted en masse", " the votes are in", "millions of you have voted"

These then stop. Text appears on the screen, words to the effect of: "you gladly vote. So vote on March 7th"

This kind of sums it up, really. People are only interested in democracy if it relates somehow to reality TV. Maybe if they introduced gunking on the Parliament channel and telephone voting, people would be interested.

4. Democracy? Oh yeah, I vaguely remember that. Wasn't that supposed to be Government of The People, For the People and by the People or something?

5. Nah, you probably dreamt it.

6. Forgive me for sounding like a fascist but I have absolutely no problem with the low voter turn out.

I would rather people who have not bothered to keep up with current affairs, read party manifestos or have any knowledge Britains politics to simply not vote.
    I would rather 20% of population vote who actually care and make an informed decision than 90% vote simply because they look nice.

Edited because i'm dyslexic!

7. Settle down! You'll be quoting the Rule of Law and Separation of Powers next... :roll: :wink:

8. I think people would engage in democracy more if there was a choice on the ballot form along the following lines:

"I hereby instigate my right not to vote as all politicians on this ballot paper are a bunch of self serving perverted shysters who would sell their own mothers if they thought it would keep their snouts in the trough"

Would be interesting to count those votes.

9. Nah...that's capped price energy from Powergen.

10. Warrior_Poet wrote "I hereby instigate my right not to vote as all politicians on this ballot paper are a bunch of self serving perverted shysters who would sell their own mothers if they thought it would keep their snouts in the trough"

That is somewhat along the lines of what I wrote on my ballot paper last time round. Spoiling ones vote is the way to show that you do not care for the choices. Not turning up to vote only shows apathy.

11. Don't hold your breath. Blair is considered the reincarnation of Churchill over here in the USA. Yesterday I mentioned to a colleague how unpopular Blair is in the UK. He couldn't believe it.

12. but then again the average US citizen does have a skewed view of the rest of the world, see NORAID and the brave IRA Freedom fighters saga. :roll: