Please help me with I.T

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by bootneck01, Nov 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking of spending my resettlement money on a I.T course (have no prior experience) but what courses are in demand at the moment and which ones can get me a job ( I understand that the wages wont be good but gotta start somewhere)
  2. Speaking as an employer, an increasing amount of IT work gets farmed out to India or China, however anything to do with IT security issues I and I am not alone in this, prefer using Citizens of the Anglosphere i.e. Brit, Aussie, Kiwi, Yank or Canadian. Forces background a big plus as IT consultants who turn up 5 minutes early to any meeting are a Godsend.

I would suggest you plan to train towards this IT speciality sector, use the resettlement course with an eye on getting into College to really rack up the qualifications. It will take a long, long time however if it works out you will be earning a couple of Aston Martins a year and more importantly your job won’t be offshored to some £20 a day PhD in Delhi or Chengdu .

Good luck.
  3. I left the raf with no experience in the IT world, I only had a passing interest in pc's, all of my work prior to leaving had been in the electronics world.

Left the raf, got a job on a glorified helpdesk, ten long hard years and 4 jobs later I am in a comfortable position and ( I hope ) respected by my empoyers and associates. But like any job its fukcing hard work.
  4. You can do introductory IT courses at colleges in most towns. The cost is usually very low and many are available in a part time/night school format. That way, you can try out IT without spending a lot of money.

If you decide to carry on in IT, you can do more advanced courses at a lot of universities in bigger towns and cities. These courses are also often available at night school so you can do them while you're still working and they're not that expensive. It's not like studying for a degree - the courses are shorter, more practical and work oriented.

Intensive, full time courses are available from companies like Learning Tree International. These courses are expensive and very intensive - lasting one or two weeks. Some of them involve exams and you can get industry standard qualifications if you pass. is a very widely used IT recruitment web site. You can tell it where you live and it'll find jobs advertised within a specific distance. This'll give you an idea of the skills in demand in your area.

Good luck
  5. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Checkout this company. They have loads of people on resettlement and more importantly can get you on the first rung of the ladder. Once you are in the industry it is entirely up to you how you progress.
    Worked for me 13 years ago, now on a good salary, bens and running my own business to boot.
    Don't expect the first job to be the best, I know from experience that somebody who has been in continual employment is much sought after in preferrence to a college student. I know which I let in the door for interview anyway.
    8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
  6. I thought about doing night classes but being realist i will not have the time as i am in the marines and half way through a op, so idealy i want to spend my ressetlement money on a I.T course and start work then make my decissions as i am working
  7. What course is it?
  8. I'm doing a course through I'm trying to get in to networking so going back to computer basic's A+ and N+ first to gain the knowledge and then on to CCNA (and then CCIE but many yrs away from that Qual) which through this company is £2750 of which I pay £75 pcm also the co. is ELC registered so going to be claiming my £1000 back off the army