Please help me! Wireless/printer issue

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by mr_angry, Oct 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can you help? Until recently, my printer was connected to my PC via USB. I have just moved my PC into another room, but want to leave the printer in its original location and use it via wireless. The printer is located next to my BT router thingy, and I have connected the 2 together expecting with a cable. I thought my PC would see the printer when I went into add new printer - it doesn't. The PC can connect with the router via wireless so gets that far - any tips?
    Many thanks
    Mr A

PC - You will understand I am a luddite, so keep it simple if you are kind enough to answer!

2. As one Luddite to another...

My solution was to buy a wireless printer.

edited to add:

When your printer runs out of ink, buy a wireless printer. It costs about the same as a set of ink cartridges.

3. From memory. This should help if you are running XP or Vista.

Make sure you have a wireless printer. (Wi Fi or Bluetooth)
    Switch the printer on.

Go to your PC.
    1. Go to 'Start'
    2. Go to 'Control panel'
    3. Go to 'Hardware and sound"
    4. Go to 'Printers'
    5. On the toolbar click 'Add a printer'
    6. Click the box 'Add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer'
    7. Your PC will search for the printer.
    8. When it finds it, click "OK"

Unlike my wireless printer, which has a touch screen pad, and I had to let the printer find the PC.

4. First of all what operating system are you running?
    On some older versions you need to setup a network before the printer will be recognised by your computer.

5. Am I missing something?

You just can't connect any old printer to a router - does it have a ethernet connection? As you said USB, it makes me feel not...

What's the make & model of your printer?

You could probably get by with a hub between the two.

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You can use a wifi router with a usb connector to make it visible on a network, but will likely mean buying another box to plug into your existing router, unless that has a usb connector already. If that makes sense :eek:)

7. check to see if yr printer has a static ip

if it has assign it via its mac address to your wireless router, if not assign one, else bin it

then look for the printer in your home network, once found you can print

8. failing that connect it to a lan duo

9. Thanks to everyone.
    I am running Windows XP
    The priner is a HP CP1515n Laser
    It does have a socket for an ethernet cable
    I have tried to add it via 'add a printer', but it doesnt find it

In summary - U have connected the printer to the BT Hub using a cable plugged into the hub and the ethernet post on my printer.
    The PC is getting a connection to the hub via wireless but can't see the printer

10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

My Doris works for HP, I'll get her to ask the boffins tomorrow how to do it, wait out.

11. As I pointed out in post #3 you need to ensure that you have a wireless printer.

Looking at a HP website it appears that your particular model needs a wireless upgrade Kit.

"Get everything you need to print wirelessly with the HP Wireless Printing Upgrade Kit (Q6236A)"

link

12. No promises, but give this a try:

Download and install "SoftPerfect Network Scanner" from SoftPerfect Network Scanner: fast and free network scanner

Run it

In the IP Range From field enter 192.168.1.1

In the IP Range To field enter 192.168.1.256

Click Start Scanning

This will produce a list of everything connected to your PC and, more importantly, to your your BT Hub

With luck, one of these things will be your printer.

Note its IP address (which will begin with 192.168 )

Now go Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer

Next

Choose the A network printer ... option

Next

Choose Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home of office network

In the URL field, enter the IP address you noted earlier.

Next

Follow any further instructions.

Like I say, I'm not promising anything, but this has a chance of working!

13. If it’s an HP and on the network, and getting a good IP address, this should be verifiable by printing a configuration page, your IP address should be in the 192.168.x.x range; then use the HP Universal Print Driver (just go to HP site and search for it - it’s very prominent) - there are two 'modes' you can install it in standard or dynamic, dynamic is designed more for laptops that connect to all sorts of networks and will actively search for devices and try and find the closest (not always good at this but if yours is the only one on your subnet it should find it). If you choose the standard method, pick network and use the NetBIOS name (it will begin NPI and end with the 6 digits of the MAC address and will be shown on the configuration pages you printed to verify it’s got a good IP address. As it’s a Universal driver it will interrogate your printer to find out its abilities and build a driver accordingly, nice thing is – and it doesn’t apply in your case but with older printers that don’t have drivers that support Windows 7 64 – it makes its own so no worries about older stuff with newer Operating Systems.

14. I'm sorry for being blunt, but you're talking out of your arrse, the printer has an ethernet connection and he's connected via that.