Please help me make THE biggest decision. *URGENT*

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Speedois, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ill give you the sitrep.

Iv started the application process and have passed my medical and now I am ready to have my final interview with a Sargeant Major where he asks me all questions about what I want to do.

Only problem is, I HAVE NO IDEA.

I was lingering on the idea as a Military Intelligence Operator, but after looking on the Intel forum, I am DEEPLY unhappy about it.

Ill give you what I want from my job in the army and see if it helps, because I cant find anything.

- I want to be active in what I do (e.g. Physically and Mentally)
    - I want good promotion prospects.
    - I want to lead as a soldier (not a officer)
    - I want to make a career out of the army FULL TIME, so I want to get to the TOP of the ladder (You may laugh but its serioulsy what I want)
    - And the last one (Although not as important as the rest) if I was to leave the army, I would come out with some qualifications I could apply in civvy street (AGAIN, this one isnt important as the rest)

I have 6 GCSE's C's and above and would like to use them if I could.

I'd like to start training as soon as possible, I just cant take waiting around.

I am soooo sorry if this has just blown your mind by thinking how stupid I am, but I have nowhere else to look, the Army careers office isnt been that helpful.

So basically, help me pick a career, please? :)

Thank you for your time :)

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Obviously a wah, everyone gets A's these days. :)

3. Ok, im gunna show my newbishness: whats a wah?

Also, that .gif is the strangest thing I have ever seen.

4. Can anyone help??? :(

5. On the off chance that this a genuine question, here are a few things worth considering.
    Your six GCSEs may seem important now, (I'm guessing it's not all that long since you passed them) but in a few years they will be less so. They basically give prospective colleges/employers an idea of whether or not you are a muppet before you've got any life experience to prove it.
    You can be a leader in any arm of the service, but if you want to be active all the time and have a full career, then I would suggest a combat arm, PBI, Gunners, Sappers, Armour etc.
    Don't get too hung up on getting a trade that you can use in civvy street afterwards, after all you haven't even had your army career yet! I had a fantastic eight years, but if I could do one thing differently it would be to worry less about my trade and enjoy my soldiering a bit more. Twelve years on and I haven't touched my trade on the outside.
    Whatever you decide, make the most of it. The army is still the best grounding a young bloke can have IMHO, and without wishing to sound like a septic, will allow you to be the best you can be.
    Good luck.

6. There is a perfectly good website set up for just this reason. You can find it at www.armyjobs.mod.uk.

You can't expect anyone else to make the decision for you.

7. Thank you :) That actually really helped me, and trust me Its a genuine question.

Why do people think Im winding them up? :(

Ok, I have to say that I arnt too fussed about my gcse's, I know they arnt brilliant but they get me quite alot of choice in the army. but anyway, any more advise please? :)

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Sound advice, but I still think it's a wah. :twisted:

9. I want 1st hand experience of what its like, I know I have to make the decision myself but the thing is, the armyjobs website make the Military Intelligence Operator sound like James Bond, but Im not that gullable, so I thought getting 1st hand advice off the guys that matter, will help me :)

10. In that case, you have the look at life presentations, your recruiter, the online careers office at the above website and the various sub forums on this website. I'd advise you get a clearer idea from the website of what you want to do, and then ask your questions once you have a better idea.

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

On the off chance this is a serious enquiry, look at the supporting arms if you don't want to be infantry, R Signals, Engineers etc... Good opportunities for soldiering but will give you something for when you leave.

12. The Royal Signals was something I seriously looked at, it was Electronic Warfare systems operator, so, they soldier alot do they? I really want to be active in that sense, a chance to prove myself :)

And thanks for taking me seriously Ord_Srg :)

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

OK I've officially been wahed.

14. Seriously have no idea what your onabout :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.