PLEASE HELP, great grandfather medals

My grandfather served in the British Army for over 12 years in the royal artillery and sadly passed away, I would like to find out all the information about these medals as I am proud of him, Thankyou for your time and efffort

He's wearing the King George V era Indian General Service Medal with a clasp denoting which campaign, (Waziristan, North West Frontier etc), a foreign award that I can't place at the moment, the War Medal, Defence Medal and 1939 Star (service medals for WWII).
They are worn in the wrong order, the oder should be the Indian General Service Medals, 1939 -45 Star, Defence Medal, War Medal and foreign job.

I think the last bar for the Indian General service medal was issued in 1935 for the North West Frontier as George 5th died in 1936.
So he would have been a professional soldier sent to France in 1939 with the BEF retreated via Dunkirk and spent the rest of the war in the UK.

As a Gunner it would be interesting to see if he was involved in the Normandy invasion of whether he stayed put in the UK as a coastal or AA gunner.

Yes, the IGSM changed to a King George VI version, different design, different ribbon as of 1936.

As a Gunner it would be interesting to see if he was involved in the Normandy invasion of whether he stayed put in the UK as a coastal or AA gunner.
Normandy would have got him the France and Germany Star.

Normandy would have got him the France and Germany Star.
Yes I know.
I am curious what he went onto do having been a pre war professional as so many got sent to North Africa or the Far East. There could be a bit more of a story to be told, and possibly another star or two!

Yes I know.
I am curious what he went onto do having been a pre war professional as so many got sent to North Africa or the Far East. There could be a bit more of a story to be told, and possibly another star or two!
Could be, he wasn't a Dunkirk POW with those medals.

Yep, the Defence Medals 3 years tho it could be down to 3 months.

Calling @FourZeroCharlie He knows a thing or two.
Not much more to add that hasn't already been discussed, tbh.

Given that the first medal is the IGSM 1908-35, he could have served in India/Burma post-WWI (1919-clasp 'AFGHANISTAN NWF 1919') and any time up to 1935 (clasp 'NORTH WEST FRONTIER 1935'): given that time span, he was probably getting on a bit by the time he served with BEF in '39/40.

Having been successfully evacuated (possibly wounded?) he, along with many other older pre-War soldiers were held in UK at training establishments/Home Defence for the duration, though it is possible that he served overseas but in an area that didn't attract any of the campaign stars.

@Honey1215

It might be helpful for us to know what is inscribed around the edge of the first medal (India General Service Medal)

I'm thinking your medal looks like the 1930-35 issue. The following clasps for this medal could be:
  • North West Frontier 1930-31
  • Burma 1930–32
  • Mohmand 1933
  • North West Frontier 1935

King George V 1930-35
GEORGIVS V DG BRITT OMN REX ET INDIAE IMP

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Do you know what year your granddad was born and which 12 years he served in the army?

Latest Threads