Please enlighten me

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bobath, Dec 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Walking round town I saw an adavert in a shop window for SAS Survival Training.

Now I'm not going to get into Walt bashing, I don't know who runs the courses, or anything about what they teach.

It does however say on the page that you can learn basic survival, fire lighting, shelter building and navigating WITH or WITHOUT maps.

Maybe I'm being a bit dim but how can you navigate successfully with out a map? If you know were you are, and you know were you want to go, and you already know how to get there, surly thats just memory.

I'm not having a go, I just thought maybe I'm missing a trick.
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

SAS issue DPM coloured bullet proof Garmin GPS :?

Or use of stars, sun, direction finding by shadows, etc.............
  3. Eastern Mysticism and pocket crystal balls surely? Standard issue.
  4. I'm assuming this isn't a wah but there is such a thing as astro-navigation you know!
  5. Yes, I know that, but that would be navigateing without a fecking COMPASS!

Its no bloody good finding north if you have no idea where you are, or the direction of your intended destination, is it?

It's not a wha no. I have ny doubts but don't want to go shouting about if there is a resonable explanation.
  6. Aso use of sketch map, survival navigation the sort of things you see fat ray mears doing on sky!
  7. The Sun only rises and sets in one direction in this Hemisphere.
  8. Same in the other hemisphere too surely? Unless the planet turns in a different direction down there? (wouldn't be surprised...)

Sorry, have I just been wah'ed?
  9. Does the sun set in the east in Austrailia ??
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If you dont know where you are, or where you are going then even a map probably would not help.....
  11. You can match the map to the ground though, and thats a start.
    I'm not taking the pish, it just stood out as an odd thing to put on an advert. Maybe its just something that only "They" can do.
  12. I think you're perhaps getting lost in the details.
    "You are at point A on this hill. Your objective is to get to point B, a dam approximately 3 miles to the East, using only the gradient of the land, the moss on the trees and the position of the sun/stars. Off you go." Crap example but I'm surely that's what it meant?

Edited because I sounded like a bit of an arrse first time round. :D
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I think you will find it refers to sketch maps and orientation with sun/stars/shadows.

So I take it you signed up for the course 8O
  14. I found my way into work this morning without a map or compass. Made it home from the pub last night as well, but I don't remember much of that.

Maps are useful tools, but so are the intelligent use of check features, stop features etc.