Please dont throw me off the forum...

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by mephisto, Oct 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please don't throw me off the forum for doing this but I really would like to hear people's opinions on this.

Here is my post about my new proposed charity to help ex-forces amputees. I've canvassed opinion amongst people I actually know and feel there is a lot of support for it but I'd also appreciate the opinions of those of you on here. I know that some of you don't frequent the Charities and Welfare Forum much and so I'm posting the link here, just in case you miss it.

Sorry for cross-posting but I really think this is important, both as a current affairs discussion and a charitable venture. :oops:
  2. Forgive me if i'm wrong, but don't BLESMA deal with this sort of thing?

They are quite well funded from donations and fund raising.

3. Several charities will possibly fund new limbs but, to date, there is no charity with this specific and sole objective. BLESMA certainly provide a great deal of support, but their objectives are different.
  4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

You had a good in there to explain why your new charity is better than BLESMA (top of my list for a donation if Camelot are good to me, by the way) which, let's face it, is a British Limbless Ex-Servicemen's Association. If its objectives are different for yours, it seems to me that yours are less apposite to the support of British limbless ex-servicemen than theirs, which means they are a more worthy cause.

But it looks like you blew your chance. A bit like Gordon Brown saying "I am going to change Inheritance Tax but it is nothing to do with the Tories having announced their plans yesterday: honest, we did think of it first." I know when Gordon Brown lies: I see his lips move.
  5. I'm not sure whether any charities deal specifically for funding limbs. It is a very good idea to start one for that sole purpose, and one I would fully support.

How would you go about it, registering charity, how would the funds be distributed, what if there is more demand than supply etc.

At the moment I would be more comfortable donating to established charities.
  6. No, not at all. I'm not in competition with BLESMA. Their aim to is help and support amputees, their remit does not specifically provide for assisting people to buy limbs of their choice. As it happens, BLESMA are a great organisation, we would just have different stated aims. Hopefully we could work together.
  7. In order to get charitable status I would have to have an ongoing fund of £5,000 which I would be happy to put up. The Charities Commission have confirmed that no other currently registered charity has these sole and specific aims (ie to help purchase limbs of choice). I could, of course, set it up without charitable status, but I would prefer that it's all open and clear for everyone to see. The Charities Commission have special assistants who deal with military-type charities and they have been most helpful to me in this. I wouldn't want anyone to donate until it becomes a registered charity which is why I'm putting up the £5,000 myself and not asking for donations.