Please critique my urgent regime

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Burton, Nov 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,

I have suffered from a rather embarrassing illness (which also saw me hospitalized for a while) for almost 6 weeks now and basically in 2 weeks I have the Board malarky in which to prove my press-up/sit-up/run fitness.

I have lost a substantial amount of upper body endurance. My recruiter has offered to postpone it, but to be honest I'm tired of waiting for this life, to be frank - I want it asap. My press-ups (when done in proper form anyway) are down to 19-20 continuous motion. My sit-ups are not much of a concern (comparitively) to be honest, but it makes sense to train them on alternate days; so here is my "regime".

Day 1
    2 * 1.5mile Best effort - morning and evening
    Press-ups to failure, probably 4 sets with around 2 mins of recovery time between each.
    Tri-dips to failure, probably 3 sets.
    Chins and pulls to failure, 4 sets each.

Day 2
    5 miles 'slow and steady'
    A core circuit - sits/crunches/other crunch variants and some lower back stuff such as dorsals and angels. 20 of each, 5 sets.

Day 3
    3 miles at a steady pace; a shade under 8 mins/mile
    Resistance training same as day 1

Day 4
    Same as day 2

Day 5
    Same as 3

Day 6
    1.5 mile BE * 2 and some swimming

Day 7
    Rest day.

Repeat again for the next week... then it's on.

I realise there is more 'tricep' training there than sit-up training, but like I say, I'm not too concerned about sit-ups.

Should I do more? Or even less? I seriously don't want to overdo it, but I must come out happy with myself. I don't really care what the minimum requirements are at the end of the day, so long as I'm pleased with what I achieve, which I'd hope would be somewhat above the mins.

My 1.5 is at around an unimpressive 10:40 now.. I know that on the day I will do better than this and I hope these 2 weeks can go some way to at least helping my aerobic fitness/recovery.

Thanks for any advice/critique.
  2. An 'embarrassing illness' 'hospitalized' my curiosity this cold afternoon is aroused so do tell all on illness etc.
    Dr Hat20
  3. I shouldn't be too worried about fitness if I were you. When I did my RCB, they told me that "we won't fail you for fitness, as we'll make you fit". That was about five years ago now so it may have changed...I think grit and determination on the obstacle courses count for more than pure physical strength. And anyway, everyone appears to be knackered after the first few obstacles on the mini-assualt course, so you shouldn't worry too much! Good luck, RCB is a blast
  4. I don't know much about fitness training but it looks ok to me...

Don't forget you can easily defer RCB if you need an extra couple of weeks to prepare. Even if you ring up and they tell you its all booked up for the next few months you can put yourself on a waiting list. In my llimited experience they get lots of cancellations and you'll get a place.

5. In fact there is two things I'd incorporate into your regime... Do some 'interval training' = 100m sprint, 100m walk and repeat 8 times... plus 'fartlek' = jog for 5 min to warm up, 2 mins at 80%, 30 secs 100%, 2 min jog, 1 min 50%, 30 secs 100% etc etc etc... I think these two techniques have a big impact on speed...

Also, when you do you 3 mile or whatever runs... instead of worrying about speed jujst focus on your heart rate... If you get your heart rate into triaing zone for about 20 - 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a week then your cardiavascular fitness will improve... training zone = 70% of (220 - your age)...

6. Can anyone tell me about this obstacle course?

What do you do on it i.e. what types of obstacles are there?
  7. Thanks for the replies - basically stick at it, but don't worry too much about it and sure as s**t don't overtrain.

It's a shame, as I wanted to be the best that I could be within the time I had to train rather than a 25 press-up fatty, but I really don't want to delay it more, even by a fortnight, so I'm going for it.

I took a look at some of your past posts Hat and decided it would be a serious mistake to tell you what my 'problem' was.