please assist me

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by stoutz, Nov 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. hi im from zimbabwe, and i have a student visa valid for 2years, i am no longer interested in the course i was supposed to study so i would like to join the army.i am allowed 10 hours of work a week on my visa. and ive lived in uk for 2months. Whats the best option for me? should i still attend college while applying and under-going my tests and interviews till being selected to join the army. or is it possible for me to not attend college and still work 10hours a week with out getting into trouble (((deported))).

    if i remain in college and pass all my tests and medicals for the army which they say takes about a year for you to be recruited. would i be allowed to leave college then as my course is a 2 year. and what would happen to my visa?
  2. how long were you on the course for?
  3. As a former member of the commonwealth as I understand it Zimbabweans are eligible to join the army, thus if you are accepted and have to wait your visa will change will it not?

    May be an idea to stick at your studies in the meantime!
  4. TheIronDuke

    TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

    So many questions, so little time.

    I would start by asking somebody. A teacher. Or maybe somebody from the Army? Try the Zimbabwean Embassy in London

    Old blokes down the pub are often a good source of information. But if all else fails, and you can find him, try... TIM INTERNET

  5. been on the course for 2 months now. so if i stick to my studies and for a year from now going through the tests and interviews i get accepted into the army, would i be able to leave my course half way to join the army as it is a 2year course?
  6. Ask to join the RLC.

    You'll be fine.
  7. I see - The question is about your visa - is it transferable ?
  8. 2months
  9. Step 1..Get student Visa for Uk
    Step 2..Arrive there
    Step 3..Attend course for 2 months
    Step 4..Join Army so i can serve then get leave to remain here

    or am i just an old cynic ?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. H3

    H3 LE

    That's 2 of us then !
  11. You should ask at the Armed Forces Careers Office.

    Logically you should be in no worse position than if you were applying from Zimbabwe, provided that you are still legally in the UK and complying with your visa at the time you apply. I think it would be crucially important to continue with your studies and avoid any suggestion that you have given them up and are therefore an irregular resident. That way, at the absolute worst you could return to Zimbabwe and apply from there, but hopefully that would not be necessary.

    I would say you must make up your mind now to continue your studies to completion if your Army application is unsuccessful, or deferred.

    Obviously you will not get any official advice here. You might take a look at this page and its links:

    Good luck!
  12. i would never want to remain here. i just want to join the army cause 1 id enjoy and 2 the pay is very good. i plan on serving a good 10 to 15 years. so really what seems to be the problem.

  13. thank you for your post
  14. ..I don't see the problem?

    At least the OP would have done something to earn to right to stay, unlike untold Eastern Europeans who have no ties with us whatsoever, were never colonised by us and never fought for us in any of the major wars, and it's definetely no worse than all the people who are over 25, married with kids THEN decide to join up cos they've fecked up civvy strasse or want a house/job.

    ....or am I just an old cynic?
    • Like Like x 2
  15. What does 'where 'am dat dere watey melon' actually thread i know