ugly

LE

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What a superb read. Top find.

They should of course have waited a few decades and given us a call here. :D

That's an interesting read. A report like that could never be written in the same style now - it only refers to men in the sections I've read so far.

1540127031965.png

. . . and the tendency for blokes to always take a bit of 'something' extra.

Overloading has been a thing ever since a certain J Caesar said, 'Y'know what? I thing we'll load up and nip across that Rubicon'.

A thundering good read, btw, Ugly.

Good catch @ugly .

I have read the first few pages and the last page so far. I shall have a delve into it properly later.

There were a couple of paragraphs towards the end where a US WO2 equivalent is writing to an officer to express opinions. He starts his letter with, How's everything going Sir? Made Oi chuckle thinking back to my grovelling by letter service letter writing.

ugly

LE
What a superb read. Top find.

They should of course have waited a few decades and given us a call here. :D
Funnily enough my Bn took part in most of these trials where its described as certain Bns rather than naming them. I gave them a huge body swerve!

Here's a linked youtube vid for those (us) infanteers that need a square meal of pictures with our words

Quite similar to the early Israeli ephod.

Reading that article was the first time I learned that there was a '75 pattern webbing set. Every day is a school day. Good spot, ugly.

Reading that article was the first time I learned that there was a '75 pattern webbing set. Every day is a school day. Good spot, ugly.
I remember once hearing about a '72 pattern but never saw it. The video make the link to '75 (which I'd never heard of either).

I had heard that this was the source of the S6 respirator haversack...?

I remember once hearing about a '72 pattern but never saw it. The video make the link to '75 (which I'd never heard of either).

It could well be, as the S6 ressy bag does not match up with the '58 pattern web gear at all, and is made from the same material (seemingly) as the '75 pattern stuff. Maybe some stuff did leak out of the trials process?

It could well be, as the S6 ressy bag does not match up with the '58 pattern web gear at all, and is made from the same material (seemingly) as the '75 pattern stuff. Maybe some stuff did leak out of the trials process?
Except that the S6 case was on general issue long before 1975. More likely it was deemed necessary to have it easy-clean as it would be the only bit of kit moving between clean and NBC environments.

Overloading has been a thing ever since a certain J Caesar said, 'Y'know what? I thing we'll load up and nip across that Rubicon'.
I think that the ancient Greeks had that problem as well, hence their mixture of heavy and light infantry.
Plus ca change.

Not edited for mong French.

Last edited:

I had one of these for a while.
It was only reading arrse many years later I learned more about it, and why it wasn't more widely used.
IMG_5393.JPG

So it only took 30 years for CBA to be introduced after its requirement was noted....

No wonder they had so much trouble specc'ing PLCE: each time they came up with a design a generation had passed and the soldiers had doubled in body mass...

Except that the S6 case was on general issue long before 1975. More likely it was deemed necessary to have it easy-clean as it would be the only bit of kit moving between clean and NBC environments.
Never knew that...although I do seem to recall that the S4 case was more akin to the '58 pattern material. Maybe it was the S6 case material that inspired the 75 pattern?

So it only took 30 years for CBA to be introduced after its requirement was noted....

No wonder they had so much trouble specc'ing PLCE: each time they came up with a design a generation had passed and the soldiers had doubled in body mass...
One of the squadrons in 26 Engr Regt were in the PCLE trial. IIRC the trial rucksack looked like a Berghaus with all the Gucci bits (plastic buckles etc) cut off...

Looking at this photo of D Sqn at Grytviken in 1982, there seem what looks like a variant of PLCE 75 worn by two on the right of the picture
dsqn grytviken.jpeg