PLCE pouches - fastening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at getting another utility pouch for my webbing but most of the ones available seem to have different fastenings to the issue ones:

Eg they have this type:

(Yes I know that is an ammo pouch)

As opposed to my issue ones that have this type:

Have they been changed or are the ones with the black fastex buckles some aftermarket types?

The fastex buckles tend to be an add on or custom made, though if mounted with the female fixed to the pouch upside down, as it were and the male to the lid they too can be fastened one handed.

This could be a wah but I'll give you a sensible answer.

They are aftermarket jobbies, any surplus store have them or ask the stores bloke for one on a 1033(dont laugh).
He may feck you off till CiC is done.

Word of warning though, if you buy one keep the/a receipt so you dont get pestered to: hand it back in.
where the fook have you nicked that from
etc

They look like Vanguard (Good), HM Supplies (Good) or Webtex (Bad) ute pouches.

Not Spanish Fly, (Fly Agaric) just Spanish Army, who were the first to use them. I think they are actually a British design.

They are good for water bottle and ute pouches because you can lock them off by passing the upper pull tab on the lid through the eyelet on bottom and then pulling the tongue through so its tight.

But for ammo pouches, I prefer the velcro slap tabs a la Vanguard or HM Supplies

[Edit: They are Web-Tex! - Avoid!]

http://hmsupplies.com/946-plcetwinammo-HM-Supplies-PLCE-twin-ammo-pouch.html

http://www.ukkitmonster.com/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=497

Attachments

hicky said:
This could be a wah but I'll give you a sensible answer.

They are aftermarket jobbies, any surplus store have them or ask the stores bloke for one on a 1033(dont laugh).
He may feck you off till CiC is done.

Word of warning though, if you buy one keep the/a receipt so you dont get pestered to: hand it back in.
where the fook have you nicked that from
etc
NO not a wah and I wasn't thinking of taking extra on CIC!

Years ago I had a DPM set of ARKTIS webbing when we were still on 58 pattern. I sold it on when I left. It had a similar arrangement of fastex buckles. I was thinking that they could be made to close one handed easily enough but they all seem to be the wrong way round.

Opening and closing with gloves on is something that most of these designs seem to fail at.

EX_STAB said:
NO not a wah and I wasn't thinking of taking extra on CIC!

Years ago I had a DPM set of ARKTIS webbing when we were still on 58 pattern. I sold it on when I left. It had a similar arrangement of fastex buckles. I was thinking that they could be made to close one handed easily enough but they all seem to be the wrong way round.

Opening and closing with gloves on is something that most of these designs seem to fail at.
I meant dont be surprised if the stores wont issue a spare out till cic was done, Not dont take them on CIC.

As for the clips as someone has mentioned have a look at kitmonster website I'm sure they have something that would suit.

walt_of_the_walts said:

Not Spanish Fly, (Fly Agaric) just Spanish Army, who were the first to use them. I think they are actually a British design.

They are good for water bottle and ute pouches because you can lock them off by passing the upper pull tab on the lid through the eyelet on bottom and then pulling the tongue through so its tight.

But for ammo pouches, I prefer the velcro slap tabs a la Vanguard or HM Supplies

Health warning: The advice above comes from a rather overweight Cadet AI with the miltary experience requsite for that role.

Lesserbustard said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

Health warning: The advice above comes from a rather overweight Cadet AI with the miltary experience requsite for that role.
Seen!

I'm sure it is well intentioned advice. :)

Boxy said:
The fastex buckles tend to be an add on or custom made, though if mounted with the female fixed to the pouch upside down, as it were and the male to the lid they too can be fastened one handed.
The buckles that are mounted onto the pouch itself are f$$KIN gash, if they break you are proper scuppered at least with a QR clip you can replace easy enough. Spanish Buckles are far harder to break.

And since the female mounts (fnarr!) into four holes punched into the pouch you can replace a broken one with the help of a leatherman.

blobmeister said:
If you buy bulk, cheaper...I have shite loads of them :)
I'll bear that in mind. I think I might build myself a complete rig, I'll probably buy some tatty PLCE to start with though for the dimensions, don't get to take mine home... :(

One thing with the PLCE ammunition pouches is that with wear they lose the "box" structure and are harder to put magazines in and out of.

Reckon I ought to build it up on a tailors dummy too.

EX_STAB said:
blobmeister said:
If you buy bulk, cheaper...I have shite loads of them :)
I'll bear that in mind. I think I might build myself a complete rig, I'll probably buy some tatty PLCE to start with though for the dimensions, don't get to take mine home... :(

One thing with the PLCE ammunition pouches is that with wear they lose the "box" structure and are harder to put magazines in and out of.

Reckon I ought to build it up on a tailors dummy too.
Have a look at http://www.diytactical.com/forums/
Loads of tutorials.

Lesserbustard said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

Quite beautifully put.

walt_of_the_walts said:

I may have (rightfully) defended you on the knee pad thread, but

a) as a cadet instructor do you actually have the necessary experience to start telling Ex-Stab what pouches he wants, and
b) do you have any requirement for gucci ammo pouches?

I would have said no on both counts. If you did have a clue, you would know that if he rocks up to CIC with anything other than issuable pouches, he will be off on a decent sized run across the nearest available hill.

I don't see why you feel as an AI you're in a position to comment. Does the quick application of a velcro only pouch make it quicker to put your cup of coffee away when you need to do some work, or does it just save you looking a tit when you can't do the pouch up in the time it takes the kids who're using worse kit than you to do up their pouch and sod off for tea and biscuits?

I think you really invited yourself to an abuse party.

EX_STAB said:
a few years ago I experienced this and it did make it harder to use the pouches, especially if the pouch when empty had a) got wet, and then b) been chucked in a wagon and had the pouch crushed by somebodys bergen, allowing it to dry in a shape that struggled to fit a folded up bush hat in it let alone 3 magazines.

so I went into our workshops and riveted a piece of 'u-shaped' folded ally down the sides and bottom of the pouches (on the inside), it's thin and a little flexible but rigid enough to do the job. It doesn't get ruined by water either. Providing I put the magazines in so the rounds pointed away from my body, rather than sideways along my body, it had no effect on the ability to store 3 mags, and even made a satisfying click when a mag hit the bottom of the pouch.

EDIT TO ADD: You will not be f*cked on CIC for taking an extra pouch on CIC providing that what you wear looks like something you have been issued. If you have an entrenching tool, do take it because you may have to dig in, but if you've been given 2 utilities and an ammo don't worry about upgrading to 3 utilities and 2 ammos, as long as what you take with you looks like something that you might have been issued.

Most people that I went with had 3/4 utilities depending on waist size and 2 ammunition pouches, so as long as you stick to that rule you shouldn't get any slack. Just, like I said, make sure it looks like you got issued it (so spanish fly - yes, spanish fly, not spanish army; closure) and a bit of wear and tear would do you well - so get it off eBay with some free mud. On the middle weekend, it WILL go swimming in a pooey pond so bear that in mind.

I agree with the above - issue all the way whilst in training, one less reason to stand out and cop special attention.

Once you're done, it's really up to whatever you can get away with.

The 'spanish fly' closure is only secure brand new or if you thread the long tab through the closure loop as well as the tab. They can be done one handed, with practise, but on ammo pouches it's a right nause and something I could never get the hang of.

In my (UK based FTX) experience, I've found the long velcro only closures on the Vanguard ammo pouches (et al) can quickly get clogged up. I've had press-studs (similar to the ones securing the pouch to the belt) added to the tabs for belt and braces security.

The 'fastex' closures for utility pouches are a pain in the arse if both male and female ends are loose. Impossible to do up one handed. Get the fixed female clips and the adjustable males.

One vital thing to remember: the pouches you've lovingly set up at the perfect spot for ninja speed mag changes will migrate to the midlle of your back once you put on CBA and a smock. Yes, I was that ninja.

Take with however much salt you want: all this stuff will get locked away for PDT and I'll go with whatever's given me there.

Status
Not open for further replies.