PLaystation Generation

Is it me, or are we finding that recruits joining up now (AMS that is) are less likely to be involved in sports and adventure training type pursuits. I can remember the days of being couped up playing Ports Of Call, but still got out for Rugby and stuff.

Muckster said:
Is it me, or are we finding that recruits joining up now (AMS that is) are less likely to be involved in sports and adventure training type pursuits. I can remember the days of being couped up playing Ports Of Call, but still got out for Rugby and stuff.
Totaly agree muckster, At the phase 1 trg centre, I used to try to get the troops chucking a ball about when I was doing extra's ROS at weekends, Not interested, as your thread says..playstation generation..Hence the demise/poor attendance of the Annual athletics comp and AMS sports in general.

Too true, one of the reasons I got out, trying to organise unit rugby and tug of war teams was nigh on impossible.

Too interested in being posted near home and going back to mum most of the sprogs, no interest in drinking, whoring and a good old shin dig with the locals, how are you supposed to go to war with people you don't know will watch your back when the shit hits the fan??.

lol, what you implying about the women at Rinteln! If you'd have said ladies i would have understood! Thats it i'm never serving at your table for a mess function again D-L :lol:

S-D

dui-lai said:
Sluice_dweller said:
But wasn't BMH Rinteln better for Rugby? :lol:
......and alcohol and women (loosely speaking of course :wink: )
BMH Rinteln was the best for any sports, but especially rugby, alcohol, parties and food, not the cookhouse of course but there were some great eateries in the area. Hubies Jagerschinitzels were my favourite. If this was still a posting today would everyone be staying in the rooms every night, getting takeaways and playing with themselves (on the Playstations and X boxes I mean)? What a waste that would be.

The Pram Race up the Klippe was never to be forgotten either. Perhaps today they would have a skate board race up and down the ramp to the front entrance, although that might be a bit too taxing for some :p

Yeah, the good old days...
If you were born after 1978, this has got nothing to do with you... Scram!

Kids of today are being wrapped in cotton wool..........read on.

If you had lived as a kid in the 50s, 60s or 70s, it's hard to believe in retrospect that we could survive that long!

As children, we were riding in cars without seat belts or airbags.
Our beds were painted in bright colors full of lead and cadmium.
We could easily open the little bottles from the pharmacy, just like the bottle with bleach.
Doors and cupboards were a constant threat to our little fingers.
We never wore a helmet when riding our bikes.
We drank water from the fawcett, not from bottles.
We built racers from soap boxes, and only during our first downhill ride would we discover that we had forgotten the brakes. After a few crashes, we learnt to live with that fact.
In the morining we left the house to play. we were out all day and only had to be home when the lights went on. Nobody knew where we were, and we didn't even have a mobile!
We suffered from cuts, fractured bones and lost teeth and nobody was being sued because of that. Well, accidents happened. Nobody was to blame but ourselves.
Nobody asked about "obligatory supervision".
Can you remember "accidents"?
We had fights, and sometimes we would beat each other black and blue. We had to live with that, as the grown-ups didn't care.
We ate biscuits, bread with lots of butter, drank a lot and still wouldn't get fat.
We shared our bottles with our friends and nobody died of that.
We didn't have: Playstation, Nintendo 64, X-Box, video games, 64 TV channels, films on video, surround sound, own TV sets, computer, internet chatrooms. We had friends. We just went out to meet them in the street. Or we just walked over to their homes and rang. Sometimes we didn't even need to ring, we just went in. Without an appointment and without our respective parents knowing. Nobody brought us and nobody needed to pick us up... How was that possible?
We invented games with wooden sticks and tennis balls. We also ate worms. And the prophecies didn't come true: the worms wouldn't live on in our stomachs and we didn't gouge out an exceptional number of eyes with the sticks.
Only those were picked for street soccer that were good enough. Those that were not good enough had to learn to cope with disappointments.
Some students were not as bright as others. They failed exams or had to repeat a year. That didn't lead to emotional parent-teacher conferences or even a change in grading standards.
Our actions would sometimes have consequences. Everyone knew that and no one could hide. When one of us had violated the law, it was clear that his parents would't bail him out. On the contrary: they would agree with the police! Just think of that!
Our generation has spawned a plethora of innovative problem solvers and inventors willing to take a risk. We had liberty, failure, success and responsibility. We knew how to deal with all of that.

And you are one of us. Congratulations!

Aye well as I spent a stint a 4AFA I used to play for Rinteln on a Saturday and we beat near enough everyone, the rugby was great but the Rugby Bar was better!!!!!.

stan2484 said:
Aye well as I spent a stint a 4AFA I used to play for Rinteln on a Saturday and we beat near enough everyone, the rugby was great but the Rugby Bar was better!!!!!.
Oh the Asbach......oh the Asbach :twisted:

i totally agree that sport and "recreation" should be an integral part of being a soldier, regardless of cap badge. However, as a non-AMS soldier living in the same accomodation as the MDHU Frimley lot, i'm not at all surprised that sport and pastimes take a back seat to such essentials as sleeping and drinking themselves to death down in the legendary night out that is Aldershot!

Working 0830-1700 monday-friday, it is easy to slag the playstation generation, however, i could not do their hours and shifts and still have the energy and enthusiasm to go on the jogger for an hour!

Rant over!

im_a_mong_cpl said:
Working 0830-1700 monday-friday, it is easy to slag the playstation generation, however, i could not do their hours and shifts and still have the energy and enthusiasm to go on the jogger for an hour!
Thanks for that monger, nail hit firmly on the head there. Working at an MDHU is moral and energy sapping. Wonder why no MDHUs are bothered with sport anymore? Can't get the time off and when they are off they want to drink to forget :evil:

dui-lai said:
im_a_mong_cpl said:
Thanks for that monger, nail hit firmly on the head there. Working at an MDHU is moral and energy sapping. Wonder why no MDHUs are bothered with sport anymore? Can't get the time off and when they are off they want to drink to forget :evil:[/quote]

Just what we nurses have always done!
Work hard, play hard, and avoid P.T. :wink:

MamaSmurf said:
dui-lai said:
im_a_mong_cpl said:
Thanks for that monger, nail hit firmly on the head there. Working at an MDHU is moral and energy sapping. Wonder why no MDHUs are bothered with sport anymore? Can't get the time off and when they are off they want to drink to forget :evil:
Just what we nurses have always done!
Work hard, play hard, and avoid P.T. :wink:
you forgot shagging as well :twisted:

stan2484 said:
Do you remember the table game in the rugby club ? i.e. One on the table, theres only one on the table, one on the taaable etc, (sung to Guantanameero or whatever that song was called) usually spoiled by a QA of leisurely proportions, but fun none the less !

BRAINDRAIN said:
stan2484 said:
Do you remember the table game in the rugby club ? i.e. One on the table, theres only one on the table, one on the taaable etc, (sung to Guantanameero or whatever that song was called) usually spoiled by a QA of leisurely proportions, but fun none the less !
So you are to blame for the rugby club having no tables then :roll:

Latest Threads