Playing with toy weapons aids learning

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Hootch, Dec 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sense at last from a Labour minister but the Tw@t from the teachers Union needs a dose of reality.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,2232798,00.html

Let boys play with toy weapons and act out their heroes' special powers at nursery school, the government is advising - to the horror of teachers' leaders.
    Springing to the defence of Luke Skywalker's light sabre, Beverley Hughes, the children's minister, said today these games might be noisy but they are good for boys' learning.

Her department's guidance aimed at promoting boys' educational achievement - which tends to fall behind girls' in primary school and beyond - says that allowing boys to follow their instincts for running around and boisterous fantasy play will help their development.

Some nursery staff found boys' play "more difficult to understand and value than that of girls" but they should resist their "natural instinct" to stop boys playing with toy weapons, says the guidance issued by the Department for Children, Schools and Families. But teachers' unions said toy weapons symbolised aggression and nurseries risked offending parents who did not want their children playing with them.

Steve Sinnott, general secretary of the National Union of Teachers, said: "The real problem with weapons is that they symbolise aggression. We do need to ensure, whether the playing is rumbustious or not, that there is a respect for your peers, however young they are."

"The reason why teachers often intervene when kids have toy guns is that the boy is usually being very aggressive," he added.

Chris Keates, general secretary of the National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers, warned that nurseries following the guidance risked incurring the anger of parents who did not want their children to have toy weapons.

In addition to this, she said: "I think this is a clear example of gender stereotyping. I do not think schools should be encouraging boys to play with toy weapons."

Hughes responded: "The guidance simply takes a common sense approach to the fact that many young children, and perhaps particularly many boys, like boisterous, physical activity pretending to be superheroes of one kind or another, such as Star Wars characters with their light sabres.

"Although noisy for adults, such imaginary games are good for their development as well as good fun. The guidance also impresses upon staff the need to teach children that they must respect one another and that harming another person in the real world is not acceptable."

The guidance, Confident, Capable and Creative - Supporting Boys' Achievements, states: "Images and ideas gleaned from the media are common starting points in boys' play and may involve characters with special powers or weapons.

"Adults can find this type of play particularly challenging and have a natural instinct to stop it. This is not necessary as long as practitioners help the boys to understand and respect the rights of other children and to take responsibility for the resources and environment."

"Creating situations so that boys' interests in these forms of play can be fostered through healthy and safe risk-taking will enhance every aspect of their learning and development," it adds.

2. I think that there has been something similar to this on Arrse before. Take kids toy guns away and they use a stick. Some one posted that their Stick Gun could destroy a Tiger Tank and I'm quite sure that it could

It is as unpopular as f**k to suggest it but boys and girls are different (just ask MDN). The sooner that we all accept this instead of trying to be totally PC the better

Some adults still feel the need to get the old Stick gun out every so often CLICKY LINKY :lol:

edit for mong spelling

3. Boys ARE aggressive. It's perfectly natural, and you create well rounded individuals by channeling that aggression in positive ways - Through games, sports and the like.

Gender stereotyping? What? Accepting that girls and boys are different?

4. Avoid gender stereotyping by ensuring there are enough toy guns for the girls as well. Simple.

5. boys should be boisterous and aggressive.....however i draw the line at giving kids toy guns to play with.....

6. Why? For the last 100 years, kids have grown up playing with toy guns and the vast majority of them were fine.

7. Indeed close quarter combat is so much better than scenes from reservoir dogs!!! :roll: :roll:

8. i just dont like seeing kids runnning around with toy guns...particulaly as i have seen toy AKs and Uzis....

its one thing playing 'army' using a stick for a gun, or cowboys and injuns using a 'finger' pistol....

....its another giving your kid a toy that actually resembles an assault rifle...remembering that an assault rifle is designed for one purpose only...that is to kill another human being...

my kids, my opinions....

PS....you're right kids have been playing with toy guns for a hundred yrs...but this yr we have seen kids killing each other with real guns...i don't think we should glamourise guns by giving toys that look like the real thing....

9. Thats a fair poitn Goon, the difference from when we were kids is that it was cowboys and indians or WW2 type stuff.

Now its about putting a cap in da ass of my homee who burned us on a coke deal while dissing my bitches...

10. at my school we boxed and played rugby....i think both activies are boisterous and aggressive....

and anybody who is a dad or uncle will tell you that small boys love to 'play fight'....part of being a boy, as opposed to a girls who like to make cakes and decorate things!!!!

11. If these young hoodlums dare to threaten us with loaded chicken strips or pointed fingers backed by an unlimited supply of vocal ammunition then they should be forcibly disarmed and expelled from school.

I accept that still more drastic sanctions may be in order for repeat offenders.

Once again USA authorities show the way forward:

Two second-graders from two different Illinois schools were suspended last fall for three and ten days, respectively, for being caught with nail clippers (apparently long fungus-infected fingernails are not so much of a threat).

* An eight-year-old Arkansas boy earned a three-day suspension after picking up a chicken strip and pointing it at a friend and saying "Pow, pow, pow!" ...

* Seven boys were disciplined for using fingers to simulate guns with which to shoot aliens. It was not reported whether they were using the standard thumb-and-index handgun or the more deadly three-finger, semi-automatic version.

* A 16-year old honor student was expelled last March from a Texas high school when a butter knife fell into the bed of his pickup truck while he was unpacking boxes for his sick grandmother. Parking the knife-carrying truck at school sent him to an alternative school reserved for violent offenders.

* A Virginia eighth-grade boy was kicked out of school for four months when school officials caught him with a knife that he stole from a suicidal friend. (A few days after the incident, his friend attempted suicide by cutting her wrists.)

"Fear our chicken-carrying children"
    by Dan Nguyen. 1 November 2002
    http://media.www.iowastatedaily.com/media/storage/paper818/news/2002/11/01/Opinion/Columnfear.Our.ChickenCarrying.Children-1092824.shtml

12. Have you seen boys playing power rangers? Who needs toy guns??

13. "when I was a lad..." I seem to remember fingers sufficed,none of this fancy toy gun malarky.

Sticks were occasionally used as swords though,although I remember this practice was curtailed by the teachers when "fatty williams" poked someones eye out on the playing field one year with one.

15. without weapon handling experience today as children, what is the squaddie in 10-12 years time going to be like? Will the MoD be able to afford the ND's, dropped weapons and 'Sergeant, which bit of the grenade do I throw at the enemy again?'