Playing Downloads

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Dennis48, May 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have down loaded a TV programme called Pioneer One but when I try to watch the downlod I keep getting this message. " Not enough storage available to process this command". Am running Windows 7 x64 bit. Anyone know how to get around this problem. Thanks
  2. "Pioneer One" was a good show...! First thought, do you want the problem fixed... or just to be able to watch the show? "The problem" is probably a lack of available RAM to use as cache. Cache is kind of like an "in-tray"; work comes to your desk at an irregular rate, putting it in the "in tray" (rather than just dumping it in the middle of the desk) lets you "balance" the flow in and flow out. I'd begin by closing down anything you're not using... maybe a browser with thirty-seven open tabs?! And I'd consider changing the software I use to view video. I use a FREE product called "GOM Player", (Google it for the free dowload URL) which does a pretty good job.

Windows 7 64 bit is an interesting choice of operating system; advantage is that it supports more physical RAM ("Memory chips") than the regular 32-bit variety, disadvantage is that you can't always get the drivers to make it work with peripherals like printers... Manufacturers like to install 64-bit Win 7, because it allows them to fit more RAM than the usual... you've not really provided enough information for a really educated guess at the cause of your problem.
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

most likely its a common windows 7 error which seems prevalent on 64 bit systems. they are supposed to have released a patch for it.

I have three common win 7 machines and they have all started to show problems like that, not enough memory, freezing gadgets etc... some I get back by uninstalling flashplayer as that seems to clash with a lot of things and going back to a previous version.

interestingly 64 bit is supposed to allow you to use over 3gb of ram but when I tried it it wouldnt let me.
  4. Up to SIX Gigabytes in fact... although that would also depend on your hardware.