Plausible possibility? Or a just plain stupid idea?

I looked into joining the army several years ago when I left college, but I didn't pursue it because I had just moved in my boyfriend and didn't want to be separated, he was adamant that he wouldn't give up his career to follow me ......blah, blah, blah

Now we're married, 2 kids and he hates his job and wants out (which leaves me wondering why I've spent the last 12 years following him round for his job!), so I'm back wondering if I could join up - my dream was always to be either a dog handler or a CMT.

So a couple of questions?

Would the army take an application from a 30 year old woman with a husband and two kids seriously? Or would I be laughed out the door, I know I'm under the maximum age but.....

I know for a fact that he wouldn't want to follow me abroad and he probably wouldn't want to live any further south than Yorkshire. How plausible would it be for him to base himself and the kids in one place and me work away? Or does that just sound like a recipe for disaster?

I've floated the idea past him but he's very busy at work (busiest time of year for him) so his response hasn't been much more than 'course you could darling' before he falls asleep on the sofa......

I'm planning to pop down the army careers office in town tomorrow to see what they say.

Ritch

LE
Why not apply for the Police or Prison Service

Because she'd like to join the army..:rolleyes:

All I can say, get on down to the careers office. They answered any questions I had.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
You still have a bit of time before you reach the age limit, but you need to think seriously about the poetntial time away from family etc. It will not be easy, and as both CMT or Dog Handler you would be posted to different locations, not like being part of a battalion located in one place. These links might be a helpful start, if you have not looked at them already.

https://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/33/combat-medical-technician

https://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/43/dog-handler

there are other roles that may suit you or you might find interesting, for example Healthcare assistant:

https://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/77/healthcare-assistant

I looked into joining the army several years ago when I left college, but I didn't pursue it because I had just moved in my boyfriend and didn't want to be separated, he was adamant that he wouldn't give up his career to follow me ......blah, blah, blah

Now we're married, 2 kids and he hates his job and wants out (which leaves me wondering why I've spent the last 12 years following him round for his job!), so I'm back wondering if I could join up - my dream was always to be either a dog handler or a CMT.

So a couple of questions?

Would the army take an application from a 30 year old woman with a husband and two kids seriously? Or would I be laughed out the door, I know I'm under the maximum age but.....

I know for a fact that he wouldn't want to follow me abroad and he probably wouldn't want to live any further south than Yorkshire. How plausible would it be for him to base himself and the kids in one place and me work away? Or does that just sound like a recipe for disaster?

I've floated the idea past him but he's very busy at work (busiest time of year for him) so his response hasn't been much more than 'course you could darling' before he falls asleep on the sofa......

I'm planning to pop down the army careers office in town tomorrow to see what they say.

Only you know what your relationship can withstand.

The army will welcome you as a singly though, if that's what you want. Just be prepared to be away a lot.

Everybody wants to be a dog handler. It's massively oversubscribed. No harm in applying though.

Dunno about CMT - it's a shit job though, with no tours and doesn't really leave you with any qualifications.

If they say you can join at 30, then you can join at 30. No worries.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt

Dunno about CMT - it's a shit job though, with no tours and doesn't really leave you with any qualifications.

No tours? I have CMTs that have deployed on 3 Telic and 3 Herrick tours each - and that is just since 2003 - some of them (limited numbers now admittedly, due to age!) have also got Kosovo and Bosnia tours. Due to chronic undermanning and the continuous task org mechanisms in the AMS CMTs are probably one of the most toured trades in the Army.

As for the quals, absolutely right - but that is the result of letting doctors be in charge of the CMT cadre. It is nor for want of trying, and there are a few CMTs achieving Paramedic quals (it is very difficult and I would recommend anyone who wants to be a paramedic to train as a civi).

Thanks all for your replies, the fact I've not been shot down in flames gives me a bit more hope :)

I've a list of questions to ask tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some solid answers then.

I've read just about everything on the army website, there are a few jobs that I quite like the sound of but dog handler and CMT are the main ones. I know that dog handler is horribly oversubscribed but I've got years of practical experience with dogs (I've trained and competed in several sports, trained gundogs, worked with rescue and problem dogs) and I've a foundation degree (equivalent of an HND) in canine behaviour and training, so I'm thinking I'm maybe a bit better off than someone who just 'likes dogs'.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow

Thanks all for your replies, the fact I've not been shot down in flames gives me a bit more hope :)

I've a list of questions to ask tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some solid answers then.

I've read just about everything on the army website, there are a few jobs that I quite like the sound of but dog handler and CMT are the main ones. I know that dog handler is horribly oversubscribed but I've got years of practical experience with dogs (I've trained and competed in several sports, trained gundogs, worked with rescue and problem dogs) and I've a foundation degree (equivalent of an HND) in canine behaviour and training, so I'm thinking I'm maybe a bit better off than someone who just 'likes dogs'.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow
I suspect that, given your pedigree, you'll find training frustrating if you go down the dog-handler route. The Army will teach you how to do things the Army way, which you might find counter-intuitive. But good luck anyway.

No tours? I have CMTs that have deployed on 3 Telic and 3 Herrick tours each - and that is just since 2003 - some of them (limited numbers now admittedly, due to age!) have also got Kosovo and Bosnia tours. Due to chronic undermanning and the continuous task org mechanisms in the AMS CMTs are probably one of the most toured trades in the Army.

As for the quals, absolutely right - but that is the result of letting doctors be in charge of the CMT cadre. It is nor for want of trying, and there are a few CMTs achieving Paramedic quals (it is very difficult and I would recommend anyone who wants to be a paramedic to train as a civi).

And how many Telecs and Herricks are you planning on doing next year?

I didn't mean medics don't do tours, you muppet. I meant there's no tours for anyone.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
And how many Telecs and Herricks are you planning on doing next year?

I didn't mean medics don't do tours, you muppet. I meant there's no tours for anyone.

Clearly no Telics or Herrick since they have now finished, but there will always be something happening....

Mmmmm........Op GRITROCK anyone?..... just one or two medics on that one...

Latest Threads