Platoon signaller

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by japseyewarrior, Feb 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm keen to get on some courses this coming year and this is one job that is vacant in my platoon.

You will have to pardon my ignorance but I know the square root of fcuk all about this job so was wondering if you could fill me in on any information/experience you have.

I'm TA if that makes a difference to the course content/length.

Cheers fellas.

2. Speak to your Pl Sgt anbout getting on an Regular Radio Users (RRU) cadre, this will give you the basics for Pl Sig, then if you liek it you can look to move to the Coy Sigs det.

3. Excellent, thanks for your reply.

I don't suppose you know what is involved in the RRU cadre by any chance? :lol:

Is it weekends, a week, 2 weeks?

What sort of topics are covered?

Sorry to be a nuisance but I'm not back at the unit until next Tuesday and would like to get a heads up on what I'm getting myself in for before I jump in :D

Thanks again.

4. Have you done the Basic users course yet?

RRU normally run within battalion , 2 weeks as I remember it. RRU cadre - BATCO ,Voice procedure, maintaining sigs logs 351 , 349 , PRR and Motorola type radios , Antenna theory and deployment , Setting up and operating a CP , Interpreting CEI's , fault finding , understanding unit EPM plan , EMCON , LINE (Deep, deep joy) Batteries and care of, setting up charging units/areas and maintaining nets

Some crossover with Regimental Signals may occur, to prepare you for carrying on to School of Infantry Signals if you want to progress to the Det.

Each Regiment may have a different procedure, the best thing I can suggest is you speak to your Det. Commander...

5. Nope, no signals experience at all which is why I feel I may be getting dicked for something nasty :lol:

Will do, thanks for your reply PTP 8)

6. If you have a brain on your shoulders, calm disposition and have stamina you will do ok. I loved it as Platoon Signaller and stayed in the sigs side of things. It's hard work, especially when manpacking, but there are benefits that you won't get in the Rifle Sections. Give it a go - it may be the best move you will make.

7. Sweet, will definitely give it a serious thought and ask some more questions down at the unit. Cheers.

8. japseyewarrior,

As TA solider you need to complete a TARU (TA Radio Users) Cadre, it used to be ran over two weekends. It mainly covers VP and a couple of periods on 351 & 349 (or modern equivalents). Its death by powerpoint but it needs to be, plus even if you don't like it, its a course every section commander should have attended.

The next course is around 4 weekends (Regimental Signaller) which goes into more detail on the radio/comms side of things, covers antennas and propogation, batterys, generators, masts, line etc. Normally you'll be in a Sigs Det if you attend this course.

I really enjoyed my time with the Sigs (Platoon), working in Pln HQ, Coy HQ, BG HQ and now finally in Bde HQ (had to change capbadge for the last one)

p.s. Some of my info may be incorrect, have been TA RSigs for several years now.

9. Thanks, Polar. Will have a look into it.

10. Can be a key post as you will have direct access to Commander (Platoon or Company) gives you good insight into WTF is happening.

11. Exactly - and no more stagging on with a piece of string tied around your mits in the rain - just nice & snug under a poncho with the PC and a brew! :wink:

12. Just be aware you may find it to be a non-job. When manning on exercise is tight, the first position chopped is signaller. The Platoon Comd can carry his own radio and a Company all informed net is the norm anyway, the Company Comd does not want to speak to a signaller, he wants direct comms with his sub-ordinate comds at all times.

That said, it can be a good job - but it is by no means an easy one - you will be doing lots of stags (you, the Pl Comd, Pl Sgt and if your lucky A.N.Other have to share the radio stag 24 hrs a day), and legging it back and forth across the battle space with a flipping big bit of useless metal on your back that 9 times out of 10 fails to work. You also have to keep track of what is going on in the battle and over the net as you will be expected to answer up instantly for your callsign, and will need to back brief your Pl Comd on what is happening.

Still, you joined for a challenge....

13. Flatout - mine worked 100 times out of 100 (good drills & skills! :wink: ) I did get dicked for section jobs a few times but that's what would happen for real so no real disaster. But getting your flags up is a challenge and not everyone can do it.

14. Strong hint here that how the pln sig role turns out will be personality driven on a case-by-case basis. I was lucky that I quickly gained the trust of the pln comd and pln sgt on the basis of my ability to read a situation. Coy comd recognised my contributuon to maintaining the net and I quickly got moved to the coy det.

From that I got to do weekends with mortars, GPMG SF and Atk and picked up useful exposure to the mortar line and MFC role. This grounding stood me in good stead for the following 28 years in the Regulars.

15. Cheers for the insights guys. Spoke to my platoon commander at the weekend and he said he's going to find out some more for me about what is required. Sounds like a challenge which is what I joined for afterall :D