• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Platoon Notebooks

#1
Does anybody have any smart databases or spreadsheets that they use for their platoon notebook as I have just taken over a new platoon and the notebook is in really bad order and needs a complete overhaul. Does anyone have any that I could use as a template or a guide?
many thanks.
NH
 
#2
A small piece of advice if I may.

Your platoon would probably appreciate less very efficient micro management on a whizz bang piece of very clever software and a little more personal leadership. I'm not saying that they won't get that - but you should probably concentrate on getting the personal bit right first.

Otherwise a notebook and pencil works fine.
 
#4
Cholmondley-Warner said:
A small piece of advice if I may.

Your platoon would probably appreciate less very efficient micro management on a whizz bang piece of very clever software and a little more personal leadership. I'm not saying that they won't get that - but you should probably concentrate on getting the personal bit right first.

Otherwise a notebook and pencil works fine.
You must a right bundle of fun to do a handover/takeover from! "Stores, they're over there somewhere...I had a piece of paper with..yes..no..damn"
 
#5
Cuddles said:
Cholmondley-Warner said:
A small piece of advice if I may.

Your platoon would probably appreciate less very efficient micro management on a whizz bang piece of very clever software and a little more personal leadership. I'm not saying that they won't get that - but you should probably concentrate on getting the personal bit right first.

Otherwise a notebook and pencil works fine.
You must a right bundle of fun to do a handover/takeover from! "Stores, they're over there somewhere...I had a piece of paper with..yes..no..damn"
:frustrated:

The RA.....not a long way from the RA.........F
 
#6
Cholmondley-Warner said:
A small piece of advice if I may.

Your platoon would probably appreciate less very efficient micro management on a whizz bang piece of very clever software and a little more personal leadership. I'm not saying that they won't get that - but you should probably concentrate on getting the personal bit right first.

Otherwise a notebook and pencil works fine.
Yep.
 
#8
Use your own template with the information you think is relevant in it. The one mentioned doesn't appear to have anywhere to put any decent information in it. The notebook is more than a list of info on your personnel - it is where you want to place any information that you don't want to/can't keep in your head. For example, where do you list the presentation that Cpl X gave to the Coy last December? You need to recall how well he did, so you can include it in his report later. Like I said, do what's right for you, not what some other bod thinks is relevant.
 
#9
Use a NOTEBOOK the clue is in the question - you always have it with you rather than needing to be near a warm dry laptop - not conducive to most proper soldiering. Besides generally it looks better if you write notes whilst or just after you chat to your blokes rather than sit there typing away - not exactly personal service or leadership.
 
#10
Wow, I'm impressed

Someone comes on here with the best intentions and what do they get:

some posts answering the question (which is good)

but then

posts slagging off the suggested answers
some posts slagging the questioners lack of leadership ability (unfounded)
more posts slagging the use of a laptop over notebook, inticating this is also bad leadership and bad management

How you get from "does anyone have a spreadsheet" to your a sh1t leader is a bit beyond me!
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#11
Oneshot said:
Wow, I'm impressed

Someone comes on here with the best intentions and what do they get:

some posts answering the question (which is good)

but then

posts slagging off the suggested answers
some posts slagging the questioners lack of leadership ability (unfounded)
more posts slagging the use of a laptop over notebook, inticating this is also bad leadership and bad management

How you get from "does anyone have a spreadsheet" to your a sh1t leader is a bit beyond me!
Good point, well brought out.
 
#12
A further point is that a personal records on a spreadsheet or database takes you into the realm of the data protection act. All it takes is one smart Alec to challenge you on this and it will all become way too complicated. A paper based record will avoid this hassle. That said, if you are a wizz on the PC, then use it to come up with a proforma that suits what you need and so save yourself sometime. The form on e-nirex is a proven format and a good start.
 
#13
To save yourself a lot of time and trouble, speak to your OC and see if there's a particular format they'd like them in (thereby giving continuity if a soldier moves from one platoon to another). Failing that, speak to the Adjt. There may be scope to produce a Regimental version for the same reason.

Just make sure noonne knows the idea came from you asthere'll be a good number of fellow subbies out for your blood as a result of all the extra work this fine plan generates.
 

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
Richard_Hannay said:
A further point is that a personal records on a spreadsheet or database takes you into the realm of the data protection act. All it takes is one smart Alec to challenge you on this and it will all become way too complicated. A paper based record will avoid this hassle. quote]

No it won't. All data held be it manual or in electronic format is now subject to the data protection act. The vast majority of that data can be seen by the subject, so remember if you cannot back up what you have written with incontrovirtable proof don't put it in.
 

Captain_Crusty

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#15
When I arrived at my first regt, I inherited a large file with a lot of out-of-date info in it.

By the time I had my last TC's notebook inspected, it was an excel spreadsheet with about 4 or 5 worksheets (owned centrally by the Battery Training Officer, placed on DII and then made accessible only to BC, BK, BSM, TCs and TSMs).

Whichever it is, the trick is to get regt buy-in to one solution. That means that not only is the information easily transferrable when a soldier moves troops/battery etc but you are not going to get told to redo all your work by the adjt because you are doing something different from everyone else.
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#16
Capt C is correct, when I was serving I set one up for my Regt (don't have it now - sorry, now a civvy and I would get done for all sorts if I did) - standardisation makes life a lot easier when a soldier moves from Tp/Pl to Tp/Pl and Sqn/Coy to Sqn/Coy.

Tp Bibles (or whatever your unit calls them) are a vital part of leadership because it is through these that you can assist your soldiers on completeing their PDR files when they inevitably lose something, it also allows you to know the birthdays of all your soldiers and important dates for them - like the expected birth date of a child so it shows that you are on the ball and that you care for your soldiers.

Throw away comments like us a notebook are all well and good but I wonder if such people had difficulties remembering when Cpl X organised something and what exactly he did that was sufficiently good enough to mentioned in their MPAR or CR? Can they know every course their soldiers have completed and when they passed them so when they lose the certificate or never received it they could chase it down?

Finally - even if you could remember all of this information - I bet your sub-unit commander can't for 100+ soldiers. So you are not really serving your soldiers after all, considering that it is the Major not the Lt that makes the real (i.e. the one that is taken seriously and vetos the subbie's) recommend for a soldier to get promoted.

So Tp Bibles are invaluable. Go to your Adjt with an example or a draft one if you have checked and found that there isn't already one in Unit SOIs. Funnily enough most units have them in their SOIs, because it is part of the IiP that the Army has signed up to. If really can't be asked, speak to the RCMO - I'm sure he will politely tell you where you may be going wrong.

Edited for typing mong
 
#17
nigel_hichmart said:
Does anybody have any smart databases or spreadsheets that they use for their platoon notebook as I have just taken over a new platoon and the notebook is in really bad order and needs a complete overhaul. Does anyone have any that I could use as a template or a guide?
many thanks.
NH
Nigel,
I think that you have had a sound idea and hopefully you can use the advice that makes sense to your advantage. well done for thinking laterally and tryting to see what help you could get. Ignore the negativity of some, they mean well but have boring lives. Finally remember that your notebook should contain both formal information and informal information as mentioned above, this will assist you later in compiling annual reports and can also be useful in AGAI 67 cases to formally record dates/times and situations. good luck.
 
#18
You can PM me - I had to design a format for my then CO - he is now a 1* and wanted a similar format used in all his Regts! It was picked up by my now Regt and implemented with a few revisions.

It is an invaluable way to remember all the guff you need (wifes name, number of kids, qualifications, courses due etc). When your CO asks you on exercise, or even ops, which bloke can replace another bloke and he needs these quals and trades and in the next 5 minutes, your Nyrex A5 reduced TCs Notebook becomes biblical indeed!
 
#19
Oneshot said:
Wow, I'm impressed

Someone comes on here with the best intentions and what do they get:

some posts answering the question (which is good)

but then

posts slagging off the suggested answers
some posts slagging the questioners lack of leadership ability (unfounded)
more posts slagging the use of a laptop over notebook, inticating this is also bad leadership and bad management

How you get from "does anyone have a spreadsheet" to your a sh1t leader is a bit beyond me!
Well said Oneshot, I agree there are too many people ready to have a pop at genuine posts, I posted a classified ad the other day and was almost at war with another ARRSE member, a bit of a laugh is fine but MOST people are looking for answers or solid advice not a slagging off.
 
#20
oh come on you lot are supposed to be leaders of men, use your mind think through the problem and attempt to find the answer out yourself you will not always have the luxury of spreadsheets and computers whilst the fcukers are firing green hornets at you

run straight
shoot fast
do not lick tanks
think on your feet :twisted:
 

Latest Threads

New Posts