Platoon Notebooks

Discussion in 'Officers' started by nigel_hichmart, Mar 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody have any smart databases or spreadsheets that they use for their platoon notebook as I have just taken over a new platoon and the notebook is in really bad order and needs a complete overhaul. Does anyone have any that I could use as a template or a guide?
    many thanks.
  2. A small piece of advice if I may.

Your platoon would probably appreciate less very efficient micro management on a whizz bang piece of very clever software and a little more personal leadership. I'm not saying that they won't get that - but you should probably concentrate on getting the personal bit right first.

Otherwise a notebook and pencil works fine.
  3. search e-nirex on the site. you should find something useful.
  4. You must a right bundle of fun to do a handover/takeover from! "Stores, they're over there somewhere...I had a piece of paper"
  5. :frustrated:

The RA.....not a long way from the RA.........F
  6. Yep.
  7. msr

msr LE

8. Use your own template with the information you think is relevant in it. The one mentioned doesn't appear to have anywhere to put any decent information in it. The notebook is more than a list of info on your personnel - it is where you want to place any information that you don't want to/can't keep in your head. For example, where do you list the presentation that Cpl X gave to the Coy last December? You need to recall how well he did, so you can include it in his report later. Like I said, do what's right for you, not what some other bod thinks is relevant.
  9. Use a NOTEBOOK the clue is in the question - you always have it with you rather than needing to be near a warm dry laptop - not conducive to most proper soldiering. Besides generally it looks better if you write notes whilst or just after you chat to your blokes rather than sit there typing away - not exactly personal service or leadership.
  10. Wow, I'm impressed

Someone comes on here with the best intentions and what do they get:

some posts answering the question (which is good)

but then

posts slagging off the suggested answers
    some posts slagging the questioners lack of leadership ability (unfounded)
    more posts slagging the use of a laptop over notebook, inticating this is also bad leadership and bad management

How you get from "does anyone have a spreadsheet" to your a sh1t leader is a bit beyond me!
  11. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Good point, well brought out.
  12. A further point is that a personal records on a spreadsheet or database takes you into the realm of the data protection act. All it takes is one smart Alec to challenge you on this and it will all become way too complicated. A paper based record will avoid this hassle. That said, if you are a wizz on the PC, then use it to come up with a proforma that suits what you need and so save yourself sometime. The form on e-nirex is a proven format and a good start.
  13. To save yourself a lot of time and trouble, speak to your OC and see if there's a particular format they'd like them in (thereby giving continuity if a soldier moves from one platoon to another). Failing that, speak to the Adjt. There may be scope to produce a Regimental version for the same reason.

Just make sure noonne knows the idea came from you asthere'll be a good number of fellow subbies out for your blood as a result of all the extra work this fine plan generates.
  14. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

15. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

When I arrived at my first regt, I inherited a large file with a lot of out-of-date info in it.

By the time I had my last TC's notebook inspected, it was an excel spreadsheet with about 4 or 5 worksheets (owned centrally by the Battery Training Officer, placed on DII and then made accessible only to BC, BK, BSM, TCs and TSMs).

Whichever it is, the trick is to get regt buy-in to one solution. That means that not only is the information easily transferrable when a soldier moves troops/battery etc but you are not going to get told to redo all your work by the adjt because you are doing something different from everyone else.