Platoon commanders orders

Now then

I am after a set of platoon commanders orders. i.e the set in the manual fieldcraft section p 153 lefthand side (PDF electronic copy).

Thanks

No they don't but they do need a set to be delivered to them so they can extract a set of section orders from them.

Try these. Also attached a patrol orders template and the extraction diagram. Enjoy.

Attachments

Thats great stuff thanks but what I was really after is an actual set of orders i.e

Ground
Ground is open rolling countryside with small copses

Situation
Enemy ground
The enemy is working in a small copse defended by 2 trenches they are carrying small arms etc

Etc etc

I have started on a set for teaching orders extraction but it is taking ages. I emailed Frimley to see if they have a set that we were delivered on our KGVI. I got thinking tried the internet and got no joy tried a few ACF detachment websites again no joy. I then remembered this site hence the thread.

avtur said:
Thats great stuff thanks but what I was really after is an actual set of orders i.e

Ground
Ground is open rolling countryside with small copses

Situation
Enemy ground
The enemy is working in a small copse defended by 2 trenches they are carrying small arms etc

Etc etc

I have started on a set for teaching orders extraction but it is taking ages. I emailed Frimley to see if they have a set that we were delivered on our KGVI. I got thinking tried the internet and got no joy tried a few ACF detachment websites again no joy. I then remembered this site hence the thread.
Write some yourself?

I am but it just takes ages. I have never written any platoon orders before section yes but platoon no.

Many hands make light work.

There might be someone out there with more experience than me.

Without stating the obvious, if you've written section orders then simply think of 3 sections together. If you've been involved in a Pl attack then recall what how it all works using the Pl Battle drills as a guide.
Let me know if you need any tips.

schoolstaffinstructor said:
some walt just doing their own thing
That's a little harsh old chap. Not everyone who pushed the boundaries out a little is a walt :?

Flashman not harsh at all they are only kids playing with guns and should be wrapped in cotton wool lest they discover the meaning of adventure and making mistakes:)

Now we all know that will bring incoming so let me give my standpoint:

It is perfectly acceptable to stretch the rules, if you pay due consideration to the safety (always first) the capabilities and the development of the cadets-remember they are their to learn new tricks so they can sneak out off school undetected and get back in at night to raid the chemistry labs:)

Oh! Stretching the limits does not mean leaving young kids out in the cold stood to attention or in a case I witnessed beasting cadets in full kit when it was 26 deg c! Said SSI duly found out what a beasting was! The fact he had the audacity to play the 'You're Para Cadets get some Airborne Spirit' did not go down too well with me or others in the vicinity! The road to Claro Barracks soon filled with young Sappers laughing at the useless waste of space wishing he hadn't played the Airborne Trump card-especially when the RSM and Provo Sgt both Airborne Cdos came to see what all the fuss was about.

Stretching the limits does mean, gettting into the red book and finding the phrases such as 'may use regular army drills when using regular army eqpt and under regular army supervision' although whoever thought making safe before every move with a ergonomic disaster was safe; has probably stopped that now.

Question- If Cadets learn to use alternative fire positions to reinforce good filedcraft why do they have to lie down in the prone position? Please think about your response before slating me!

I have spent many a leave helping Cadets, hosting them on visits and instructing them and their Adult Staff as a memeber of a CTT.

So not being one to be a diplomat:

Cadets-some are whinging snivelling little brats that want you to wipe their tears away mmmm maybe but if you think that applies to them all you are wrong. They are all young girls and boys trying to do something more adventurous than play PSP (leave that 'til you join up) Some make you laugh, some make you rant, some make you wonder why you bother but on the whole they make it worthwhile. So if you are involved as CTT, AI or Offr you have a duty to come up with challenging programmes that ensure the syllabus is covered that the opportunity to advance is there.

I remember one Comdt who muted the idea of making a sixteen yr old cadet RSM-the replies from the Adult staff can not be aired here-suffice to say the Col had the whole battalion on parade at camp and put fwd the candidates for RSM - the 400+ cadets voted for the Colonel's chap

He went on the UKLF Cse and returned with a report that said" Cadet CSM XXXXX would make an excellent 2i/c of a Reg Inf Section" that was it! Now the less experienced might think that whoever compiled the rpeort was too lazy to provide real feedback, the more astute might recognise how much thought did go into it?

AIs/Offrs - fall into three camps-or so I was told by a very experienced CSM Good Guys Bad Guys W*****s I would support that, there are those that use the ACF/CCF as a drinking club or knocking shop; there are those that are absolutely professional in all they do and then there are those that try but are not quite getting there so what about the big boys?

CTT - the same rules apply- some capbadges see CTT as a big tick in the promotion box, some think of it as a way of getting rid of their wasters. The unit I served with had over twenty instructors during my time there. I have always asked my own question -would I want to go to war with him/her- of all our team bar three it was a resounding Yes maybe I was just lucky? The three W*****s will know who they are-one professionally and morally corrupt - marking a cadet on their appearance should be about how smartthey are! Lack of Spine there I feel! When something untoward is reported it should be acted upon not laughed off as harmless joke! And the cadets should come first so the resources available should always be directed to them; not used to ferry family and friends around the country-admitted and accepted that team trg if done properly can aid future cadet trg!

The ACF/CCF are supposed to be youth organisations that provide challenging and rewarding trg and opportunities for the youth of today-yep the leaders of tomorrow- so stretch the rules by all means but do it for the right reasons and in the right manner and above all else do it safely.

Oh to be back getting the abuse - "Hae tablet" Fun days with some great memories.

Right then here goes I have written myself a set of orders. I will try and attach them but being new to this forum it might not work.

Background
I have just done my KGVI and consequently I now get knobbled with phrases such as " You have done your KGVI you can teach the three stars orders" on a company weekend. This gives me very little time to prepare such as the attached file.

It is designed to be used to get the cadets used to writing and being creative. I have often found that cadets are used to being fed information then re gurgitation it. I often get asked "well what do I write?" to which I reply look at the maps and the ground and make it up. I have found the best way to teach orders is start with the execution. Some cadet’s start with prelims, task org then go on to ground they put loads of effort in and then they either get bored or run out of time when finishing off. Those who start off with the execution (or what you are going to do whist on patrol) get 'into' it the most and seem to give a decent set of orders. Obviously these do need to be supplimented with a map which I will get round to probably tomorrow.

These are NOT to be used as a substitute for proper teaching but if you include SBD's they should receive 28 periods of training in SBD's and orders before undertaking a test. The grid refs and locations are obviously fictional as is the senerio. This is not a proper patrol that is going to be undertaken but it could be easily adapted to any ground or be changed to an OP rather that a trench attack.

As I have previously stated these are my first set of orders and may not be perfect and they may have bits missing. They are not designed as a full on set of orders but just a started for 10. If you get too enthuastic with A10's giving air cover, mortors, SAS and GPMG's the cadtes loose sight of reality. All we reall do is small patols taking out OP's Etc.

Please feel free to correct any of my mistakes.

The mission needs to be along the lines of 'destroy the enemy in the copse at GR804 446 in order to.....'

1 and 2 section need missions, not tasks...

I assume that 3 section is your reserve section? If so, tell them and tell them 'be prepared to provide casevac for 1 and 2 sects (then they will break out the med kits / stretchers etc)

And don't forget the summary ;)

This should help: http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/download/id=4230.html

msr

Many thanks msr a few corrections there will probably be more as the day goes on.

EDITED thanks msr

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BBear The Training Wing 7
Boxy Army Reserve 14
A Infantry 17