Platinum Jubilee Medal

All it means is that recipients happened to be in the right place at the right time. That doesn't warrant any sort of ceremony.
Because the individual volunteered to be there, and has met some sort of criteria.
It’s a symbol of appreciation from Her Majesty so due some respect.
Also, for some people, through no fault of their own, it may be the only one they’ll get, so where’s the harm in making it a little special.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Disagree - very poor.

E2A: the gong, any gong, is supposed to mean something. Handing it out in an off-hand manner (SWIDT?) detracts from that.
Thinking it over maybe I'm just a little cynical because most of mine were gooied across a desk or even arrived by post.

I can see the point in treating the presentation of any medal respectfully.

Edit for autocorrect.

Last edited:

WhiskeyTango

War Hero
All it means is that recipients happened to be in the right place at the right time. That doesn't warrant any sort of ceremony.
I disagree, respectfully.

For a 5 year soldier, a few deployments but no tours, who's spent a few years away from home already (anyone in the armoured inf), getting a handshake and a well done will certainly mean something.

BelfastFifer

Clanker
I disagree, respectfully.

For a 5 year soldier, a few deployments but no tours, who's spent a few years away from home already (anyone in the armoured inf), getting a handshake and a well done will certainly mean something.
I agree, I got mine for 5 years plus on blue light duties, same with my diamond Jubilee. I wear my ribbons along side my GSM NI ribbon on my uniform, like most Firefighters im proud of my service 20 years now. Alot of us are ex military, same goes in the police and ambulance service. We are a proud bunch and a bit of a pat on the back and a hand shake shouldnt be out of the question, considering what we do on a daily basis.

Case in point, some of those young soldiers that were in Afganistan during the evacuation, either didnt have or only just enough service to receive or not receive the gong. They have spent time away from home on deployments so deserve some recognition. I know laterally they received the Operation Pitting clasp and medal, just an example. Or like my father and uncles, UDR served their whole time in NI got the NI GSM and accumulated service medal some folk seen it as a "give away medal" but warrented as they had to live and work in their own country at great risk.

the_creature

War Hero
I've had all my medals over a desk. Never presented on parade. I Think it depends on the person. Tour or no tour I hate standing to attention waiting for some big wig to be delayed or stuck in traffic to have shite small talk with. I prefer the over desk option. Some of that was due to unforeseen circumstances but worked out for me

Last edited:

dlrg

LE
Any reason why William is not wearing The Platinum Jubilee Medal?

1653805138700.png

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
I doubt that
He probably hasn’t got his bounty for the last 5 years; plus he hasn’t served since 2013.

Perhaps he should sign one of those internet petitions or something. He’ll probably want an NDM too…

Not to be worn until 3 Jun
There’s your answer! The only exception is unless one is at a Jubilee related parade in the presence of The Queen, so - just guessing here - they’ll all have one up on the 2nd for the Troop.

Last edited:
There’s your answer! The only exception is unless one is at a Jubilee related parade in the presence of The Queen, so - just guessing here - they’ll all have one up on the 2nd for the Troop.

Might it just be a stock photo from last year's troop, or previous?

Or, perhaps like this one. Where several seem to have fallen off.
1653832469712.png

FFS

What is it with these old photos? They just won't stay up to date. ;)

Edit / I see now it is from the rehearsal. My attempted explanation does not apply.

I plead in mitigation that I absolutely never, ever believe anything military related, in the Mail.

Last edited:
Might it just be a stock photo from last year's troop, or previous?

Or, perhaps like this one. Where several seem to have fallen off.
View attachment 666512

FFS

What is it with these old photos? They just won't stay up to date. ;)

Edit / I see now it is from the rehearsal. My attempted explanation does not apply.

I plead in mitigation that I absolutely never, ever believe anything military related, in the Mail.
I refer the House to the answer I gave earlier…..

Last edited:

Latest Threads