Platinum Jubilee Medal

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Op Corporate Medal:

The medal with rosette was awarded for one day's service within 35° and 60° South latitude or for at least one operational sortie south of Ascension Island, between 2 April and 14 June 1982 (April 2 being the date of the Argentine invasion, June 14 being the date of Argentine surrender).[6][4] This, generally, denoted service in the combat zone.[7] Where the rosette was worn on the ribbon, this was both with the medal and on the ribbon bar.[7]

The medal without rosette was awarded for 30 days continuous or accumulated service between 7° and 60° South latitude between 2 April and 14 June 1982 (
completing no later than 12 July 1982).[4] As a result of the 2012 Independent Medal Review conducted by Sir John Holmes, from 1 October 2014 the qualifying period for the medal without rosette was extended to 21 October 1982, the date modifications were completed to RAF Stanley airfield allowing operation of RAF Phantoms.[8]

The rosette remains an unusual feature for a British medal and was used partly for economy and speed of manufacture,[3] and also as otherwise fewer than two hundred medals would have been issued to the Royal Air Force. While for other arms the vast majority of the medals were issued with a rosette, over 90% of the medals issued to the Royal Air Force are without the rosette, with the recipients mainly stationed on Ascension Island, some 3,300 nmi (6,100 km) north of the Falkland Islands and the war zone.

Yup, full of shite

This is basically the same system as we used for the Afghanistan and Iraq/Syria OSMs to identify those who got it with a clasp isn't it? The criteria in all cases seems to be about where you were rather than what you did.

This is basically the same system as we used for the Afghanistan and Iraq/Syria OSMs to identify those who got it with a clasp isn't it? The criteria in all cases seems to be about where you were rather than what you did.
Agreed but it does not address medal tourism. A particular family friend qualified for both Iraq and Afghanistan awards by self justifying regular trips to both theatres without ever leaving airbase or aircon. Likewise individuals in theatre going forward of their required location without taking risks to justify the clasps.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Op Corporate Medal:

The medal with rosette was awarded for one day's service within 35° and 60° South latitude or for at least one operational sortie south of Ascension Island, between 2 April and 14 June 1982 (April 2 being the date of the Argentine invasion, June 14 being the date of Argentine surrender).[6][4] This, generally, denoted service in the combat zone.[7] Where the rosette was worn on the ribbon, this was both with the medal and on the ribbon bar.[7]

The medal without rosette was awarded for 30 days continuous or accumulated service between 7° and 60° South latitude between 2 April and 14 June 1982 (
completing no later than 12 July 1982).[4] As a result of the 2012 Independent Medal Review conducted by Sir John Holmes, from 1 October 2014 the qualifying period for the medal without rosette was extended to 21 October 1982, the date modifications were completed to RAF Stanley airfield allowing operation of RAF Phantoms.[8]

The rosette remains an unusual feature for a British medal and was used partly for economy and speed of manufacture,[3] and also as otherwise fewer than two hundred medals would have been issued to the Royal Air Force. While for other arms the vast majority of the medals were issued with a rosette, over 90% of the medals issued to the Royal Air Force are without the rosette, with the recipients mainly stationed on Ascension Island, some 3,300 nmi (6,100 km) north of the Falkland Islands and the war zone.

Yup, full of shite
Which while it proves you can use a search engine has nothing to do with your contention in #1046, (replying to #1042.)

DITA

MIA
This will be lucky number 13 for me, that I wear. Bloody expensive for both full size and miniature. I could get the tailor to do them if I wanted them to look shit, double sided tape and fishing wire standard or I could and do pay a master craftsman to do them (McKay).
I had 3 by the time I was 21, I didn’t winge like a whiny crowbag

A lot of time for George!

If I can get away with sending mine to him, I'll be doing that for sure!

They could also have clasps for the number of enemy killed, perhaps different ones for rifle, pistol and bayonet.

It'd be the only way of seeing the true worth of the medal holder.
Would I be entitled if I bayoneted him but only frightened him a little?

DITA

MIA
Who is this Master Mounter?

If you have Facebook search for 'McKay's Kilts and Medals'. He is the former Master Tailor for the SG and, IIRC, the man responsible for the current rules/regulations regarding Medal Mounting etc.

Added to the fact hes an all round top bloke and will work round you to accommodate if required, I 100% second @PapaGolf's comment that he is a Master in his craft.

I don't believe NHS staff are in line.
1632782707457.jpg

Who needs a Platinum Jubilee Medal when you can get one of these?! (if you're in Mid Yorkshire).

Fabius Maximus

Old-Salt
View attachment 607057
Who needs a Platinum Jubilee Medal when you can get one of these?! (if you're in Mid Yorkshire).
Given that people are willing to pay money for a BAOR medal just because they don’t have any gongs, I’d say there would be quite a few people willing to get this.

Incidentally there is a case going through Whitehall for a COVID medal for the Forces - the will is there just not the money so probably won’t come to much.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Incidentally there is a case going through Whitehall for a COVID medal for the Forces - the will is there just not the money so probably won’t come to much.
Couldn't the Duchess of Sussex and that bloke that scuttles around after her fund it ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thought they were strapped for cash which is why he’s pumping her out to Disney and such for voiceover work?
She's used to getting pomped for cash.

Great, it's not like the Health Authority has anything else to spend its money on...
My thoughts exactly. Cheap tat, but a senior manager has ticked a box on their annual appraisal sheet.

Latest Threads