Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Platinum Jubilee Medal

Really? In 28 years of service, I have never seen or heard of such a thing
Nor I, wouldn't matter these days as officers get the LSnGC too. Over the years in the ranks I attended many Long Gong ceremonies, even as a junior as I was the Regimental Photographer. I usually managed a few free pints in exchange for some nice pics of folk and their spouses, then later as a mess member. Having commissioned after 15 years and 3 day service, my LS&GC found its way to the unit I was with (Royal School of Artillery at Larkhill) Unbeknownst to me the Chief Clerk let the OC of the Education Centre know. I was called into a 'staff meeting' and in front of about 6 civilian staff, one young Lt and a big table of cakes etc. the OC made a short speech and gave me my medal. A bottle of fizz appeared and a glass was taken. I was genuinely touched.

QRK2

LE
if you take the FS lsgc, the now defunk dfrmo that were also local part time fftrs could get the lsgc from civvy fire and claim the imperial service medal for mod time

Fire Service

defunct

Defence Fire Risk Management Organisation

firefighters

long service and good conduct

am I correct? do I win anything?

Genuine question - can you collect two LS&GC for two different services, or do they simply add up bars on the original?
Yes you can. These belong to an Officer who has served the Nation for a very long time.

long.jpg

Bearcub20

Clanker
Send key setting, over!
Not sure how long the LSGC period is in the armed forces. It’s 20 years in the Fire Service. I got that one, and a Service gong with St John Ambulance. That was for a 12 year term, but it’s recently been dropped to 10 years. St John don’t get Jubilees but it would be nice if they did. We’ve been flat out working with the ambulance service in our area providing PTS and emergency response, and also in the vaccination centres. It would be nice for the volunteers to get recognition for doing the same work as those who will qualify, but I suppose the cost of them will mean they’ll miss out again.

Why not? She is The Boss after all
These are the gongs HM used to wear when in uniform

1611535946920.png

Order of the Crown of India *, Defence Medal, 39-45 War Medal, 1935 Silver Jubilee, 1937 Coronation and Canadian Forces Decoration.

* Only awarded to women. Ceased in 1947. HM is last surviving member of the order

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not sure how long the LSGC period is in the armed forces

It’s 15 years for the first medal and 10 for any further bars.

@wafubustard, our old CO (Capt N C-P) used to do all the medal presentations himself in his mess dining room or the briefing room under the bridge. He used to get me in to take the phots.

Bearcub20

Clanker

@wafubustard, our old CO (Capt N C-P) used to do all the medal presentations himself in his mess dining room or the briefing room under the bridge. He used to get me in to take the phots.
Thanks for that. We don’t get bars, just the gong. I’m not whinging though, I was glad to have it. Did 35 years in the end. As it’s good conduct too, I had mine late. Got done for a bald tire on my car so it was withheld for 5 years, but the Chief relented and let me have it in 4. I wouldn’t go to the ceremony on f*****g principle. So I collected it by arrangement from the HR guy who’d left it in his desk for me.

It's clasp not a bar, for 10 more years undetected crime.

It was 15 when I got mine, changed in 2016?

Latest Threads