Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Platinum Jubilee Medal

Fabius Maximus

Old-Salt
Now that the Navy Reserves are stood down and loads of people are gonna fail to qualify for bounty this FY, I imagine there are gonna be a lot of disappointed hobby sailors in 2022 when they realise this means they don’t qualify for the QPJM.

Unlucky.
They’re giving them a waiver so they still get their Certificate of Efficiency.

Lucky.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
They’re giving them a waiver so they still get their Certificate of Efficiency.

Lucky.

Only under certain circumstances.

You have to be able to prove that you would’ve achieved CoE if Covid / the stand down hadn’t happened.

So unless you had a firm booking for a course that’s been cancelled then you’ve dipped.

For branches like mine where employment opportunities sometimes come at short notice, it’s a bit of a shitter.

The waiver board are unlikely to take “well I was just gonna go on a ship in February” as a valid excuse. Especially if there are 1000 people all claiming they would’ve done all their days at the same time.

Fabius Maximus

Old-Salt
Only under certain circumstances.

You have to be able to prove that you would’ve achieved CoE if Covid / the stand down hadn’t happened.

So unless you had a firm booking for a course that’s been cancelled then you’ve dipped.

For branches like mine where employment opportunities sometimes come at short notice, it’s a bit of a shitter.

The waiver board are unlikely to take “well I was just gonna go on a ship in February” as a valid excuse. Especially if there are 1000 people all claiming they would’ve done all their days at the same time.
Ack, but have a read of what happened last time the RNR did this. They ended up spending more money on CoEs as people who were short days said it was their intention to attend, and the RNR couldn’t prove otherwise.

Ack, but have a read of what happened last time the RNR did this. They ended up spending more money on CoEs as people who were short days said it was their intention to attend, and the RNR couldn’t prove otherwise.
What are they? The aquatic version of the RAF?

Choux Bun

Swinger
Joined this site today. Interesting to read the chat on jubilee medals. Although serving in 1977 I didn't strike lucky in the unit raffle (CO + youngest soldier - he left 6 months later - 'won' it) and so didn't get the gong. During my career, managed to get the Gold and Diamond Jubilee medals, the LSGC and Reserve Service medal, along with NI, Iraq, Acc emulated Service Medal (and later a bar to it) and an Omani one (authorised) - missed out on Bosnia medal by one day!!
As a LE Officer I wore the lot, never had a problem with them indicating that I had been in the ranks, proud of the fact I'd started at the bottom and ended up as a Commanding Officer. Strikes me as sad that some officers 'forgot' their LSGC medals - bet they had Barbour jackets and labradors!!
Wouldn't it be good to retrospectively award Silver Jubilee Medals to all those serving and meeting the criteria in 1977. I'd happily spend a few quid of my pension to have my rack re-arranged!!

Joined this site today. Interesting to read the chat on jubilee medals. Although serving in 1977 I didn't strike lucky in the unit raffle (CO + youngest soldier - he left 6 months later - 'won' it) and so didn't get the gong. During my career, managed to get the Gold and Diamond Jubilee medals, the LSGC and Reserve Service medal, along with NI, Iraq, Acc emulated Service Medal (and later a bar to it) and an Omani one (authorised) - missed out on Bosnia medal by one day!!
As a LE Officer I wore the lot, never had a problem with them indicating that I had been in the ranks, proud of the fact I'd started at the bottom and ended up as a Commanding Officer. Strikes me as sad that some officers 'forgot' their LSGC medals - bet they had Barbour jackets and labradors!!
Wouldn't it be good to retrospectively award Silver Jubilee Medals to all those serving and meeting the criteria in 1977. I'd happily spend a few quid of my pension to have my rack re-arranged!!
Just out of curiosity, what Omani medal did you receive?

They certainly do change.

I imagine that often the same folk that ask for 'no fuss' are the same that bang on about 'not being recognised' later.

My (obviously totally outdated) opinion would be that every unit would group them up as they were awarded/arrived in the post until you had enough for a bit of a Regimental party or there was another opportunity, say a Regimental Day or somesuch.

Then make it a big deal with families etc.

It isn't hard - sad if you can ask to have it with your cornflakes?
I'm on three rows. All but one gong found its way to me in the internal mail / via a clerk. I'm not sure how normal that is? TBH I'd rather it that way than faff around on a parade or a cringe-fest in a Mess...I appreciate that I may not represent the majority view.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm on three rows. All but one gong found its way to me in the internal mail / via a clerk. I'm not sure how normal that is? TBH I'd rather it that way than faff around on a parade or a cringe-fest in a Mess...I appreciate that I may not represent the majority view.
#metoo. Got all mine in the post although back in the days when an LS&GC was a bit of a ‘thing’ I think it was right to make a bit of a fuss. Never thought it cringeworthy if done well, good for the families too.

My LSGC came through the post whilst I was working retard leave. By the time the admin staff knew I had it I had already had it mounted and sent the receipt back. The bar was presented by my CO along with a few others getting their bar however there was only the 6 of us there. Thankfully no parade.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In regular service, I don’t recall ever doing a medals parade or clear lower deck for gongs.

In both the TA and RNR we usually have an annual awards night where gongs, certificates and sports trophies and shit get dished out by the local mayor or some other random VIP. Families are invited, there is a finger buffet etc.

Sometimes this also coincides with the annual Christmas Carole concert.

People who got medals earlier in the year usually get them presented again.

We had a medals parade when the Sqdn returned from Afghanistan. I think it was the 1st Sea Lord who came down and gave them out.

A little bit miffed that the other Sqdn who had been rotating out there with us went up to London and had theirs presented by Prince Charles.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Families are invited, there is a finger buffet etc.
I read that as, "Females are invited, there is a finger buffet."

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
People who got medals earlier in the year usually get them presented again.
Do they get the rondfok of having it removed then remounted ?

Latest Threads