Plastic Bags?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by greyfergie, Apr 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To be charged for? [Wales has paid for themfor 18 months] Or banned completely?

Why not make them out of paper like the Americans? Totally disposible etc etc....
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

ban the *******. When I was in BAOR (swing the lamp etc) the german shops would pile up their empty boxes and cartons to use. Went to ALDI yesterday and as there weren't any out I asked if I could have a box, help yourself they said.

BFO heavy duty brown paper bags are 100% better than plastic carriers, but re-purposing a cardboard box is better yet. And if you take a bit of time and effort after you've unloaded your shopping your can rip the cardboard into really small pieces or turn it into mush in a bin of water and add it to your compost.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Ban them as they are a blight on the countryside, especially the ones that have been dual roled to also pick up dog faeces, knotted and casually flung into bushes.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Italy has a total ban with carrier bags bio degradable

Shame the rest of your shopping is still in plastic wrapping :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I hate it when I break those ones open!
  6. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I remember as a kid my mum sent me and my sister down the shops for some groceries. The shopkeeper put everything except the loaf of bread in a small box that my sister carried, and I carried the loaf by the plastic opening at the top (shortly after removing the old clip we used to collect for our bicycle brake lines).

Swinging the bread around seemed like a good idea at the time, and it wasn't long before I figured it'd be a better idea to beat my sister with it instead. We were halfway across the main road when the final blow burst the bag and slices of bread went everywhere, soon to be mutilated by the passing cars.

I can't help thinking if she'd been carrying the bread, the box wouldn't have buckled under the same pressure from twatting her over the head with it.

So in my opinion: Boxes 1 - 0 Plastic Bags
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I dunno, they make nice decorations on the Dannet tape in Afghanistan, and where would African & South-East Asian millinery be without them ?

• Like Like x 2
  8. NI has implemented a 5p bag tax as of yesterday... no problem with that whatsoever, but apparently the tax still applies to biodegradable paper bags which makes me suspicious that although it's meant to be there to help the environment, it's also just a sly revenue raising exercise and they don't want shops to be able to get round it by making bags from paper.

BBC News - Northern Ireland's new five-pence carrier bag tax
  9. Plastic bags are made out of paper in the US?

I've never had anything but a regular plastic bag from a 'grocery store' over there.
  10. Paper bags and boxes are fine if you are only moving your shopping from the trolley to the boot of your car. If you have to walk any kind of distance they don't work. Yes, palstic bags do a fair job of amputating your fingers but they do the job.
    Better would be to utilise a bio-degradable plastic. It would only last about 90 days in land-fill before there was nothing left. Bags full of dog-shit would go even faster. Hopefully in the pockets of the dog owners.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The problem in the UK is that they think plastic ones are totally disposable.

I would say charge for them but that won't solve the problem since people will just throw them in hedgerows believing they've paid twice for them to be picked up, if people in the UK can't accept recycling and litter is their responsibility then ban them.

Sent via Tapatalk HD
  12. Speaking of which, apparently Katie Price is threatening to visit us.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yeah they charge 5p for them here but it goes to charity..
  14. Charging doesn't work because even on an enormous shopping trip requiring 25 bags, the additional fee is going to be... £1. If it were £25, people might think twice.

That said, as the fault is with people rather than the bags themselves, I suggest a better idea would be to try and demonise certain types of behaviour. Look at drink driving - once something that a lot of people did, and most turned a blind eye to. Now something that very few would admit publicly.
  15. Make the bags out of hemp.

Then you could smoke the bag when you got your shopping home.
    • Like Like x 1