Plasterboard and shelves?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Sinner251, Jan 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Plasterboard partiton wall, can I put sheves up on it for a few books and a 15" lcd telly?

Edited to add: Wooohooo 1st topic and 1st post in the new forum......... do I get a badge?

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  2. If you can find the wooden stud work you should be ok

3. check instructions for the TV and mounting bracket. on a dry wall I think you have reinforce with a couple of noggins?

Shelves should be ok. don't overload

use special rawl plugs for dry wall

4. If you can find the studding and fix to that, probably, although I'd recommend putting more weight on the shelf than you would ordinarily to test it out.

Supporting something expensive on plasterboard only might not be the world's best plan

5. If it's an already plasterboard wall, the studs should be every 60cm. Plasterboard dimensions are 120cm wide
    You could strengthen this by screwing a suitable batten on the top of the plasterboard, I would suggest 22x46mm battens at 70cm long.
    If the wall is not plasterboarded, then suggest a sheet of 15mm plywood between the studs, for as wide an area as you require.

6. i was actually doing this a few months ago, i asked my dt teacher, and his exact words were "your not thinking of hanging a car of it or somthing like that? then itll be fine"

7. studs can also be at 400mm centres, depending on the type of timber frame wall it is it may have a sheet of 10-12mm ply on it as well which makes life easier for you.

8. The advantage of screwing into studs is that you'd be able to support your 42" plasma screen TV from them - but you didn't ask for that, it's just a 15" LCD TV that probably weighs about 6kg. Your books could well be heavier.

You haven't mentioned what type of shelving you're considering. If you're making your own, brackets with a long downstand will take greater weight. You can increase the number of brackets to accommodate greater loading. If you're putting up a shelf unit, you may be limited to four corner fixings whose position isn't adjustable (and may not coincide with studding), so you may need to add more brackets.

Provided that you're using heavy duty plasterboard fixings, either metal toggle or the winged plastic type, you shouldn't have a problem fixing directly through the plasterboard - at least, not as far as load is concerned. A problem you could have is slippage, resulting from the hole you form in the plasterboard being bigger than the fixing. Tightened up sufficiently, the fixings should dig into the rear of the plasterboard to overcome this (Some fixings also dig into the face, which helps). But beware - overtightening them could weaken the plasterboard. Just enough is exactly right. Also be careful drilling the holes - if you're impatient and press too hard, you'll spall the rear of the plasterboard. Take it gently.

9. Fischer make some really good self drilling fixings for plasterboard, suitable even for hanging kitchen cupboards. Used them for ages, nobody has ever comeback to me about them. Two types, the toggle fixing (strongest) and the spiral screw SPIT DRIVA type. Fix only to 12mm plasterboard.

www.tool-net.co.uk/p-310616/tool-net-driva-tp...

cgi.ebay.co.uk/fischer-Plasterboard-Fixings-K...

10. Get a couple of those vertical shelf bars ( the ones with 2 parallel slots running down them, that brackets click into)

Find the studs by knocking with your knuckles, when it sounds solid you should have located one, confirm with a fine screwdriver or tapping in a nail.

Fix one side, fit a bracket in the bottom slots, after locating the other stud, put the shelf across, with a bracket in the loose bar, use a spirit level to get the shelf horizontal, then fix the other bracket.

Add more shelves if required, this system will take a good weight.

11. Cheers I've decided on a freestanding unit instead, as its less hassle and I can move it if the mood takes me to rearrange the room.
    Thanks all.

12. We have plasterboard walls in this SFA.
    I got Mr Boots to put big son's telly up on't wall....it was emotional to say the least!!
    He had them butterfly rawlplugs but they sprung back through the wall and made a right ol' mess.

I also got him to hang a 16kg mirror....it's due to fall down soon