Plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Karl_uk, Jun 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :evil:

Just got back from the docs and apparently i have Plantar fasciitis (boo) in my left foot. I've just stuck it into google and it brings up lots of stuff about it being in the ball of someone's foot but nothing about when its get you under the toe area.

So basically i'm trying to find out how much of an impact this could have on me joining the army after i finish uni (3 years left so plenty of time really) so anyway the problem i'm having at the moment is that i cant put the smallest amount of weight onto the toe area of my left foot so walking is a bit of a problem :(

althought this may be wrong i would need to be able to walk to join the army right? :twisted: :twisted:

any advice/comments are much appreciated :D

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Plantar Fasciitis is a real b!tch by all accounts. It will only heal (scuse pun) up over an extended period of time with LOTS of rest. If it is not fully healed (scuse pun) when you start vigorous exercise, it will come back with a vengeance.

Suggest you see your doc again, explain what you wish to do ans ask him what the best course of action and timescale would be.

3. Karl,

I developed this around March last year so I know what you're going through.

When it first deeloped, I could barely put any weight on it. Unfortunately, because I didn't have the opportunity to get off my feet for any length of time, I'm sure I made it worse before it coud start to get better.

After about 15 months it still twinges slightly when I walk barefoot round the house, but I have been back to tabbing and running fine with footwear on for several months now.

My advice to you would be to get some good insoles that have strong arch/instep support, such as Superfeet Sport. They will feel a bit funny and possibly restrictive at first but they will support the feet and stop everything from being stretched too much while it heals again.

Good luck!

T.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I had that at the same time as a mate, he is plod and they paid for months of physio with no real result. Me I went to my down to earth doc who gave me cortisone injections in the soles of my feet and told me to buy insoles. I have them and wear them in everything apart from indoor slippers (yes I am old but no I dont own a pipe). They work and I notice it if i dont have them in!

5. I bet you've got a collection of tweed smoking jackets and spend your days off in front of the fire with a blanket over your lap, though ;)

6. I managed to develop this injury at RMAS. It was caused by being issued seriously cráp drill shoes and George boots that had been made for another cadet who jacked it on the previous intake (who had very wide and flat feet). As a result my arches started to collapse and the tendons in my feet were seriously unhappy.

What cured it? As stated above: get some seriously supportive insoles. I am not talking about another set of cráppy thin red sorbothanes (sp I know), but getting a qualified practitioner to make you several pairs (you will need them for drill, tabs, pt, etc, etc). Also rest your feet as much as possible: I was 'sentenced' to wander around in trainers for 6 weeks. Not funny as you feel like a leper.

For physical activity in the meantime: plently of swimming and get into the gym. Avoid treadmills and any other exercise which places weight onto your feet: includes some wieghtlifting exercises (sit down on a bench to do them).

Edit to add: B_Z: as a retired Gunner and FOO I own a collection of pipes and have a pleasing selection of tweed attire in my wardrobe. One of my pipes even has graticules carved in the bowl to assist during adjustment of fire. I do not however own any plus-fours as I was never RHA.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I own breeks in many cloths from tweed to moleskins yet not many seem to fit, I blame global warming for the shrinkage!

8. I feel like I posted this a million times now................................ But find a good podiatrist, have a biomechanical assesment done and then custom orthotics made.

I suffered from posterior shin splints and plantar fasciitis (to the point where I litteraly couldnt stand up getting out of bed some mornings) and these insoles cured it in double quick time. Honestly changed my life mate!!

9. karl, will re-iterate what was said above. what cured it for me (after over a year of agony - felt like walking on bruised feet, especially when i got up in the morning) was:

got sorbothane insoles (whole sole, not just heel / arch). personally, i couldnt do the ones made by the chiropractor - too hard and v. uncomfortable.

invested in expensive running shoes & basketball boots (£100+ with e.g. airsoles)

eventually had to have 3 x cortisone injections in the heel of my foot. absolute fucking agony, and doesn't work unless it hits the right spot. first two missed, so it gives you some indication of the pain i was in day to day that i volunteered for a third attempt. apparently, the heel is second only to the achilles tendon in the league table of "parts of the body to have a fucking great needle stuck in")

btw, the plantar fascia is the hard bit of your foot spreading from your heel and going all the way up to the ball / toe area (ball of the foot, before anyone says it lol)

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Allegedly I screamed like a girl when he needled my soles but I was laughing so hard from the swabs that I barely noticed, they tickled something rotten. The insoles take some getting used to and mine bugged me for about a week, stick with them.

11. After more googling i just found out this bloody thing can be caused by having to big arches instead of a more "flat" or a slightly "flater" foot than average which i have 8O

So yeh. hmmm.. cheers for the advice though chaps. all much appreciated. I'm currently working at a pub while i work my way through uni.. well that was the plan anyway.. im guessing 30 ish hours a week standing on a hard floor didn't help things (as ive only been at this job for 2 months and my feet are f**ked already)

So the key points i think are...

Plenty of rest - change of jobs maybe..or cut down on some hours anyway (i also walk the 1.5 miles to work..again which im guessing doesn't help)

get some "sorbothane insoles" whatever the hell they are anyway

and possibly some incredibly awesome trainers. which helps me exercising ofc but while i'm at work i wear black smart work shoes so is there any equivilents ?

looks like i shall be doing some serious googling today! :D

Thansk very much for the advice so far though chaps! much appreciated :)

12. This is not true. A 'Doctor', using a thing that looked like whatever vets use to impregnate buffalo, has attended to both of my elbows twice. The bastard later escaped to Paraguay.

13. sorry old chap. having had 3 in my heel and (in the last 6 months) 4 in my elbow, i can assure you that the heel hurt one fuck of a lot more.

the elbow was "ouch! that hurts ya bastid!" whereas the heel was "OHYOUFUCKINGCUNTGETOFFMENOWORILLFUCKINGKILLYOUYAFUCKINGCUNTAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!" :)

14. It hurts like a bitch! Only way i was told for it to heal is time and rest. I came out of basic due to that and other leg problems.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm pretty sure that mine developed during training in 81, I was told then it was a bruised sole and given some cream to rub on it, it came and went over 10 years and eventually reared up quite badly about 4 years ago causing me to see a quack. It was noticable after leaving but being a fat civvy I wasnt worried about running anymore so llet it ride till I was in real pain.