Plantar faciitis and YDS boots.

Gentlemen and women of the boards, I have a small problem that I hope to share with you.
I recently was issued some nice new shiny dogshit brown YDS boots, two pairs in actual fact. i was very happy with the clothing stores blokes generosity and proceeded to wear them with vigour.
I wore them on a parade night.
I wore them on weekends.
I wore them up Helvellyn in the pissing rain , and down again.
I wore them on our annual two week sojourn to the inhospitable plains of Sennelager (not the best lager it has to be said)
It was on camp that I began to develop Plantar Faciitis, now Im not a fat ****** and I do keep myself fit and I have had PF before.

But I have always managed to overcome it and moved on with happy heels and a spring in my step... Not this time though, still got it, still running and going to the gym as much as I was but achy heels are quite literally a pain.

So is it these new boots, has anyone else developed Plantar Fasciitis after changing to YDS boots, and has anyone any tips for getting the **** over it.

Ice in a plastic drinks bottle. Towel on the floor, and roll your foot. 10 minutes, twice a day. Lots of calf stretches, too.

Also, look at orthortics. I use insoles from Superfeet... http://www.superfeet.com/en-gb/insoles-and-sandals and have found they make a real difference. Cotswold Outdoor sell them in this country.

That's an excellent tip.

I found going to Australia and paying for ultrasound guided steroid injections much more successful....although somewhat stomach churning watching a needle inserted horizontally from the back of the heel right along the foot YARK

Have you tried the tennis ball thing? I'll let that hang there for a moment for the cheap sexual innuendo jokes.

This is where you put it on the floor, stick your foot on top and roll the ball about with the sole if the foot, working around the heal, the ball of the foot and the arch? This helps break up the scar tissue that's formed on the plantar.

Do this every day, I sit and do it at whilst sitting at my desk, and although it might not cure it it'll mitigate the effects.

I'm doing this at the moment and it help me through my marathon training, now that's done I really need to get to the physio and get it broken up with ultrasound which worked a treat last time.

No idea if the boots are an issue as I'm a glorious civvy.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Ice in a plastic drinks bottle. Towel on the floor, and roll your foot. 10 minutes, twice a day. Lots of calf stretches, too.

Also, look at orthortics. I use insoles from Superfeet... http://www.superfeet.com/en-gb/insoles-and-sandals and have found they make a real difference. Cotswold Outdoor sell them in this country.

What he said although I use slimflex insoles which were recommended to me the first time I had it. Not convinced they do anything but i do genuinely find them comfortable so stuck with them on the off chance.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You could just try manning the **** up a bit and stop whining about your hurty feet.

:)

You could just try manning the **** up a bit and stop whining about your hurty feet.

:)

Given your new found expertise you should be all over this, or do you only play the man from Clarks if there's a trip to Bavaria in it for you?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Given your new found expertise you should be all over this, or do you only play the man from Clarks if there's a trip to Bavaria in it for you?

Never tried on the YDS boots.

And never heard of Plantpot Faeces or whatever the OP's hurty foot snag is.

So I'll just stick to unhelpful piss taking instead.

Never tried on the YDS boots.

And never heard of Plantpot Faeces or whatever the OP's hurty foot snag is.

So I'll just stick to unhelpful piss taking instead.

Quite right, play to your strengths. Me, I like to dole out medical advice based on no expertise or training.

M

Mr_Logic

I had plantar faciitis years ago and the only cure that worked for me was a steroid injection* into the sole of the foot, which is eye-wateringly painful, but works. If the only change was the new boots, throw them away.

*It is a matter of record that steroid injections may cause loss of bone density and the fact that I broke a leg a couple of months later may be completely unrelated. At least the plantar faciitis went away.

I put svartz anatomical insoles in my yds and not had any probs. That said I tend to wear my old black altbergs for anything remotely rigourous

Stand on a stair, drop one heel off the back and let it drop down as far as poss. Do this lots daily.

Also, a pair of scholl heel orthotics , £20 ish from Boots, worked wonders.

If you do cure yourself, and need to be reminded of your previous suffering, jump up and down on a small lego brick repeatedly or, even better, an upturned 13amp plug. It's so nostalgic.......

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I stand corrected.

Said the man in the orthopaedic shoes.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you tried the tennis ball thing? I'll let that hang there for a moment for the cheap sexual innuendo jokes.

This is where you put it on the floor, stick your foot on top and roll the ball about with the sole if the foot, working around the heal, the ball of the foot and the arch? This helps break up the scar tissue that's formed on the plantar.

Do this every day, I sit and do it at whilst sitting at my desk, and although it might not cure it it'll mitigate the effects.

I'm doing this at the moment and it help me through my marathon training, now that's done I really need to get to the physio and get it broken up with ultrasound which worked a treat last time.

No idea if the boots are an issue as I'm a glorious civvy.

A golf ball's better... you can target things more and it's harder. (It's lovely sitting there feeling the scar tissue crunch away... honest...)

It's interesting to note, that most of the previous posts describe physical remedial actions to repair the damage. How about looking at the design of the boot(s).

God did not intend us to move by encasing the lower section of the tib & fib / ankle joint zone in leather or it's substitutes. Were the material super flexible enough to be described as canvas or it's derivatives, I doubt such disabilities would arise.
There was a host of rehab issues arose when we changed over from the DMS boot to it's high leg replacement.

Ankle protection came with a physical price tag. You can ease the situation by giving close regard to your personal style of lacing up. Orthotics are generally used in 'normal' footware. Sorbothane inserts were the sportsperson's friend in a particular era, more so for foot strike/ lessening impact than mechanical adjustment of the foot bed.

It's interesting to note, that most of the previous posts describe physical remedial actions to repair the damage. How about looking at the design of the boot(s).

God did not intend us to move by encasing the lower section of the tib & fib / ankle joint zone in leather or it's substitutes. Were the material super flexible enough to be described as canvas or it's derivatives, I doubt such disabilities would arise.
There was a host of rehab issues arose when we changed over from the DMS boot to it's high leg replacement.

Ankle protection came with a physical price tag. You can ease the situation by giving close regard to your personal style of lacing up. Orthotics are generally used in 'normal' footware. Sorbothane inserts were the sportsperson's friend in a particular era, more so for foot strike/ lessening impact than mechanical adjustment of the foot bed.

Some people have advocated bare foot running as a viable method of PF rehabilitation. The author of 'born to run' makes some valid points about the pace of the footwear revolution rendering thousands of years of evolutionnull and void!

1/4 bottle of Brut up your ring should sort it. Don't forget to let it seep out slowly.

Some people have advocated bare foot running as a viable method of PF rehabilitation. The author of 'born to run' makes some valid points about the pace of the footwear revolution rendering thousands of years of evolutionnull and void!

That's correct. The modern military task makes exceptional demands on the skeletal frame however, I cannot see the requirement to wear a 'high leg' boot style.

Latest Threads