PLANS TO CLEAR FALKLAND LANDMINES

Interesting.

sent to the islands under a unique Anglo-Argentine deal
You see, it'll be handy for them, next time they fancy popping over.

The discussions come too late to prevent Britain missing a 2009 deadline to remove all anti-personnel mines from its territory imposed under the 1997 Ottawa Convention, one of the central achievements of early New Labour foreign policy.

The UK is now expected to apply for an extension from other signatories, some of whom are also likely to miss the deadline.
WTF? As if we want the mines there. Labour central achievement, say no fcuking more. Apply for an extension? What are they gonna do about it? Bloody hell!

diverre said:
I'd clear a path to the middle and build a mosque.
And then unclear the path?

*standby for incoming from the PC brigade*

Dr_Chris said:
diverre said:
I'd clear a path to the middle and build a mosque.
And then unclear the path?

*standby for incoming from the PC brigade*
yes m8! I dont think ur a Sapper? We clear with white tape its not a paved one lol. To speed up the clearance it would probably be better to build a DHSS building next to it. It'll be cleared in no time...well as quick as RAF Stanley can fly them in.

This article is from 2005

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2005/jun/11/uk.falklands

"British sappers cleared 4,500 mines - lying on their stomachs with hand-held prods - immediately after the war, but they lost two men and sustained several casualties. No Falkland islanders have died."

IIRC Maggie Thatcher said that no more British servicemen would risk their lives clearing munitions in FI.
The bennies don't seem to mind as far as I know no one has been killed or injured since we stopped mine clearing in FI.

All the FI minefields are marked and fenced off by barbed wire.
It's not in the same league as Kosovo or Bosnia where there is a dense population and we don't know exactly where the mines are, so, why bother? they're sinking into the peat anyway!

The FI are a desolate wasteland already if the pictures are to be believed.
Does your average Falkland Islander care if he cant walk across that "particular" part of the wasteland? Its the size of Wales and for 20 years a few square K have been beyond bounds, Cant the Sappers be used somewhere that Minefields actually impinge on peoples daily lives?

Norma Edwards has 4,000 acres of landmines, and the skull and crossbones "Danger, mines" warning signs and fences make it very clear where they lie. She said: "Between our neighbour and ourselves we have more landmines than anywhere else outside Stanley. My own feeling is that there are places in the world where kids have to walk through minefields and those should be dealt with before us. I think it would be an excellent plan to have a sort of landmine swap shop. Put us on the end of the list. If you wander into a minefield here you must be a nutter, to be quite honest with you."
Mike Summers, a member of the legislative council of the Falkland islands government, said: "There are a lot of mines in the Falklands, but they are not that intrusive. Clearly there is an issue about clearance, but unless they are cleared 110% we are not going to take the fences down anyway. If that can be done, then fine. If the British government was to invest money in clearing mines then we would be more than happy for them to invest it in other countries. Our needs are not as pressing as other people's.
How very ... British.